I have finally completed the voyager mission!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'm sorry but we can't accept it, it's clearly the demonstration rocket with more fuel.

Also, make sure you don't forget the screenshot in LEO please.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
oh well then sorry i will change the design
No problem. I'm deeply sorry if that was done in good faith, but accepting it would lead to serious problems, because we would have to accept it from anyone then.

Impossible_rockets

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
No problem. I'm deeply sorry if that was done in good faith, but accepting it would lead to serious problems, because we would have to accept it from anyone then.
em so i designed a new rocket and i got to the required m/s for escape velocity but there is one problem. i know the rules say no gravity assist but this was not intentional. (tbh its more like the real voyager mission in a way). anyway does this count as mission success??
1643736873779.png

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
em so i designed a new rocket and i got to the required m/s for escape velocity but there is one problem. i know the rules say no gravity assist but this was not intentional. (tbh its more like the real voyager mission in a way). anyway does this count as mission success??
View attachment 78264
It's Jupiter right? If you're already on an escape trajectory before entering Jupiter's SOI it's fine, because you didn't need it to reach your goal so we can accept it. You can submit it. :)

Rigel

Swingin' on a Star
Copycat
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
It's Jupiter right? If you're already on an escape trajectory before entering Jupiter's SOI it's fine, because you didn't need it to reach your goal so we can accept it. You can submit it. :)
In fact, choosing the correct escape trajectory and firing your rockets at the right place is as important as an efficient launcher. And the easiest way to do it is to aim at Jupiter from earth orbit, then overshoot until you don't encounter with Jupiter and get interstellar.

Problem is, if you do it that way, this is what happens: when you are about to get to the interstellar trajectory, you travel so fast that you will cross Jupiter EOI; this time not in a hoffman transfer, but in a flyby one. I thought that was intentional from the administrators, so we couldn't choose the right trajectory the easy way.

This is just a comment, anyway. I think you completely deserve your badge, nonetheless.

Impossible_rockets

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
In fact, choosing the correct escape trajectory and firing your rockets at the right place is as important as an efficient launcher. And the easiest way to do it is to aim at Jupiter from earth orbit, then overshoot until you don't encounter with Jupiter and get interstellar.

Problem is, if you do it that way, this is what happens: when you are about to get to the interstellar trajectory, you travel so fast that you will cross Jupiter EOI; this time not in a hoffman transfer, but in a flyby one. I thought that was intentional from the administrators, so we couldn't choose the right trajectory the easy way.

This is just a comment, anyway. I think you completely deserve your badge, nonetheless.
thank you

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Unfortunately you're still below the limit, you need to reach 7250 m/s at Mars level to succeed.

Your launcher is a good basis though. Its main drawback is that it only has 2 stages. By splitting the second stage that way, you can increase its performance:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-02-09-35-33.jpg => Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-02-09-35-07.jpg

The configuration on the right can provide 209 m/s more. And 209 m/s at Earth level means much more at Mars level. This is normally enough, but to improve it a little more you can also make the first stage a bit shorter (just a bit!) and give the fuel to the second stage to compensate.

With a good flight trajectory, this should easily do the trick :)

Also don't forget that you can go up to 265 tons.

Impossible_rockets

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Unfortunately you're still below the limit, you need to reach 7250 m/s at Mars level to succeed.

Your launcher is a good basis though. Its main drawback is that it only has 2 stages. By splitting the second stage that way, you can increase its performance:
View attachment 78295 => View attachment 78296

The configuration on the right can provide 209 m/s more. And 209 m/s at Earth level means much more at Mars level. This is normally enough, but to improve it a little more you can also make the first stage a bit shorter (just a bit!) and give the fuel to the second stage to compensate.

With a good flight trajectory, this should easily do the trick :)

Also don't forget that you can go up to 265 tons.
Ok so I got it this time I hope it's fast enough.

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Very nice, congratulations!