Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Screenshot_20221105_133729_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

This thread is to show my reachability challenge progress and to get feedback prior to submission so that when I do go to submit I can decrease the likelyhood of multiple attempts. Here is a rough build which I plan to change alot and evolve until fully optimised and reusable.i plan to do a re-entry burn to reduce complexity and weight so that no heat shield will be needed on the first stage. I also plan to do the dogleg maneuver to reduce fuel usage.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered

Attachments

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow, very good landing!

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Thanks, Not anywhere near 1st stage but good practice to land it, I'm not sure how I'm going to stack it on top of the 1st stage. Any ideas/help would be really appreciated.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If you place a docking port on the top you can move it with a system like this one:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-12-11-13-19-27.jpg
That's what I did for my reusable rocket submission.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Good idea, i was considering something like that but wasn't too sure how to implement it after a few prototypes i got to this. Now I just need to implement it into a recovery vehicle and get land the second stage with any accuracy, so far the closest I got is the the same quarter of the planet. I am mostly on mobile but do have the pc version, a Good mod idea would be a realistic landing point mark. Something that takes into account the atmosphere and the drag profile of the rocket.
Screenshot_20221211_132918_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That would be interesting yes.

To adjust your landing zones, I suggest that you first find a reentry trajectory that works not too bad: quicksave just before your reentry burn while you're still in LEO, then perform your maneuver and see where you land.

If it's not too bad, then restart from that one, make your reentry burn and quicksave again. See where you land, then reload your save and adjust your speed accordingly (slow down a little more if you landed too far for example). Rinse and repeat until you have a satisfying landing. This is a bit tedious but that works in the end. That's how I did it in my mission in IRIS. That was necessary, because the Earth is 5 times bigger in IRIS, so even a small angular difference could result in a great distance.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hey not bad! Well, that looks promising for a reusability mission.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Thanks took about 5 attempts! Today was just test launches but I did get a few second stages close enough to grab. So I think I'm going to need to have a vehicle to carry the 2nd stage to the 1st but I think I know how I'm going to do it and I am hopeful of a first reuse in a few days! The screen recording is going to be very long and I want to avoid using a bunch of pictures. Is there any why of sending a link (other than youtube) in order for you to access the video?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Thanks took about 5 attempts! Today was just test launches but I did get a few second stages close enough to grab. So I think I'm going to need to have a vehicle to carry the 2nd stage to the 1st but I think I know how I'm going to do it and I am hopeful of a first reuse in a few days! The screen recording is going to be very long and I want to avoid using a bunch of pictures. Is there any why of sending a link (other than youtube) in order for you to access the video?
You could upload it to the cloud, such as google drive. Forum attachment and YouTube are best, though.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
You could upload it to the cloud, such as google drive. Forum attachment and YouTube are best, though.
I would use the forum attachment but the file would be so large (even at low quality and using video compressing algorithms) that it would exceed the limit. I'll probably end up having to do a screen recording and pluck a bunch of screenshots from it.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
It's allowed to just remove vehicles like that isn't it?
Any testing payload Loader. As you can see a little thiniky but it works just fine. The stage landed about 2.5km away from pad but no need to fear I have a plan! This vehicle has enough space to accommodate a 2nd stage and the right equipment to stack it.

Attachments

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
It's allowed to just remove vehicles like that isn't it?
Any testing payload Loader. As you can see a little thiniky but it works just fine. The stage landed about 2.5km away from pad but no need to fear I have a plan! This vehicle has enough space to accommodate a 2nd stage and the right equipment to stack it.
Yes, it's allowed. Generally speaking you can do whatever you want with ground infrastructures.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Ok, great, was just checking. Ion team idea:you can't!

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Probably launching between Christmas and New year. As I am busy with the festive season ahead! Might launch tomorrow but highly unlikely and even if I do, video editing will still set me back.

Last edited:

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
If anyone can tell me about some free/cheap video editing software I would really appreiate it I am planning to use IMovie (yes I known it's on IOS) but would like some good alternatives the run on android/windows please!

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Whilst I have the reusability badge I am still out for a challenge. Here is the current latest version. With the version that got me the badge it was rather difficult to flight more than a few times as the upper tank on the ship was inaccessible and would drain to zero ruining balance. The other things I have added are a stage separation/turn to boost back burn. As well as another landing leg on the ship. Currently it can only carry around 2% in payload mass which is crazy low. It would be like spacex putting a single starlink 1 into starship. Over the coming weeks you can expect me to push this thing harder and harder. Let's see where we get.

Attachments