Inquiry about the Voyager Quest

• Thread starter InterstellarAdventurer
  • Start date
I

InterstellarAdventurer

I know we are not supposed to mod the game to achieve the badges but to make the voyager mission more accurate why not add in Saturn, Uranus and Neptune and enact flyby of all of them, exactly like voyager 2.

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
I know we are not supposed to mod the game to achieve the badges but to make the voyager mission more accurate why not add in Saturn, Uranus and Neptune and enact flyby of all of them, exactly like voyager 2.
Voyager quest is not replica of flight. Its a challenge. Challenge to exit the solar system without gravity maneuvers

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Indeed, voyager quest is about escaping from the solar system without passing by any other planets (to make it harder).

Rigel

Swingin' on a Star
Copycat
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I tried that mission some time ago. I used a custom solar system, I can't remember who made it. But the point is that the outer planets' SOI were big, so it was very easy to get a slingshot from one planet to the next, if you chose the right trajectory. I think the actual Voyager Quest is harder to achieve.

Anywaym here I explain how it can be done, if you want to. I'm afraid You won't get any badge by doing it, only my sincere respect :)
The REAL Grand Tour

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The Voyager quest as we designed it is not a replica of the real mission indeed. It's been designed as a building efficiency challenge (hence the mass limit).

Actually we even forbid fly-bys because it would make the mission easier: each fly-by is a gravity assist opportunity, and you would only need to aim for Jupiter to accomplish the challenge. It could even be done by aiming for Venus, if you know what you're doing you can chain gravity assists until you have enough energy to leave the solar system.

In real life things were much harder, without gravity assist none of the probes could have left the solar system.