[IRIS Pack] Project Hermes: Manned Mercury Landing Mission Debrief

Ha, made you panic? Imagine carrying 5 days of food in your bergan if it was 15kg per day...
I did outfield training during my time in basic military training, only difference is we don't carry all our food at one go, but only 2 days worth.

The rest would then be delivered to us using "the tunnel", which is a fancy name for our transport truck.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Question: Horus gets 1.8 - 2 kg of food per day cause he is a soldier, meaning someone with a lot of physical training, and someone who’s job is mostly physical (no offense :p)

Is that the same food consumption for an astronaut in space, in zero G? I mean, I know astronauts train and everything, but still I think their food consumption should be lower, since they are doing minimum physical effort most of the time. Maybe 1.2 - 1.3?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Anyways I am curious, these kinds of missions, you know, well planned and everything. Am I the only one doing these? Are there any others out there?
I am in the opinion that you are.

Question: Horus gets 1.8 - 2 kg of food per day cause he is a soldier, meaning someone with a lot of physical training, and someone who’s job is mostly physical (no offense :p)
Ha, not these days. I'm more broken and twisted these days.

Is that the same food consumption for an astronaut in space, in zero G? I mean, I know astronauts train and everything, but still I think their food consumption should be lower, since they are doing minimum physical effort most of the time. Maybe 1.2 - 1.3?
You never know. I think they'll go calorie heavy (and certainly calcium) because of the muscle atrophy issue and the fitness requirements needed to keep bone and muscle mass.

I've read that a soldier needs 6000 calories a day, while an astronaut consumes around 2000.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I've read that a soldier needs 6000 calories a day, while an astronaut consumes around 2000.
Ah, my point exactly. An astronaut needs less. I think your astronauts will be okay with 1 kg per day.

Anyways I am curious, these kinds of missions, you know, well planned and everything. Am I the only one doing these? Are there any others out there?
Well, for carefully planned and executed missions you have you, Altaïr and Horus. But for this kind of realism, considering every single detail of the mission, even food consumption, I think that, sadly, you are the only one. :confused:

And I forgot to add, they eat less than a kilogram of food per meal, around 700-800 grams, so in a day it's 2.1 kg at most.

Come to think of it, it's very similar to us down on earth.

Well, for carefully planned and executed missions you have you, Altaïr and Horus. But for this kind of realism, considering every single detail of the mission, even food consumption, I think that, sadly, you are the only one. :confused:
Between Altair, Horus and I, we each have our unique approaches. Altair is extremely good at precise navigation, and I rely on him all the time for dV numbers.

Horus is my personal Gellar Field, or reality anchor, he helps prevent me from going insane from the endless bullshit that exists out there.

Me? I'm just a petrified designer.

Sweet, that mission uses the NERVA engine I believe.
It does, though I haven't really thought of an overly amazing way of doing that. I just overlapped a bunch of stuff, and it's probably only close to maybe three quarters complete. I haven't started on the more forward sections. The lander and ascent vehicle are going to be a very ambitious project, and I genuinely don't even know where to begin. I've only assembled the first few stages in orbit, and I'm not even really satisfied with how that turned out.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I generally don't go myself into such considerations, but I remember I tried when I designed the Jovian gateway, an autonomous outpost in quasi-orbit configuration with Europa for the manned exploration of the Jovian system.
There was a rotating arm with some living facilities at the extremities (to counter the problem of weightlessness), with a low-g room, that was located in the middle of the rotating arm to provide a reduced gravity. This was to allow the recently arrived astronauts to get gradually used to gravity again, and the medical facilities would have been located there too.

There were 2 nuclear reactors (for redundancy) to provide heat and electricity, storage tanks for water, oxygen and probably other things (food I guess?). I also anticipated for a magnetic radiation shield to protect the astronauts from the deadly radiations, but I stopped before I could install it.

I remember I couldn't really find a durable solution for food, growing it would have needed a huge space, so I just considered the station would be regularly resupplied.

But as you go deeper and deeper into the level of realism, it requires a crazy amount of work and planing at some point. o_O

There were 2 nuclear reactors (for redundancy) to provide heat and electricity, storage tanks for water, oxygen and probably other things (food I guess?). I also anticipated for a magnetic radiation shield to protect the astronauts from the deadly radiations, but I stopped before I could install it.

But as you go deeper and deeper into the level of realism, it requires a crazy amount of work and planing at some point. o_O
Was this your only attempt?

Also, how effective was that magnetic shield?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Was this your only attempt?

Also, how effective was that magnetic shield?
With that level of realism that was my only attempt yes.
For the magnetic shield it hasn't been tested in real conditions, so I can't say how efficient it is :p

The idea was to recreate an artificial magnetosphere around the station to deflect most of the radiations. This would have been done with superconductive electromagnets spreaded around the station.

The advantage is that it would shield a large area around the station, even the astronauts in EVA would benefit from it, and it would be much lighter than a lead screen or any sort of passive shield. Because it's made of supraconductive materials, it consumes no electricity. You would only need power to start the system, and once it's running, it costs nothing to maintain.

The drawback is that the superconductive materials must be kept cold enough, so it would require some good heat management. Also, those shields only deflect charged radiations, they have no effects on neutrons, X and gamma rays.

Charged radiations are the biggest danger though, and the core of the station was reinforced to provide an additional protection in case of a punctual event of more intense radiations.

There was a similar concept studied, it was called SR2S (Space Radiation Superconductive Shield)

The idea was to recreate an artificial magnetosphere around the station to deflect most of the radiations. This would have been done with superconductive electromagnets spreaded around the station.

The advantage is that it would shield a large area around the station, even the astronauts in EVA would benefit from it, and it would be much lighter than a lead screen or any sort of passive shield. Because it's made of supraconductive materials, it consumes no electricity. You would only need power to start the system, and once it's running, it costs nothing to maintain.
Could we replicate this is laboratory conditions? Does the superconductor need to be supercooled?

Have they did an experiment where they tested a small scale version by blasting it with an ionising neutron beam from a reactor?

The drawback is that the superconductive materials must be kept cold enough, so it would require some good heat management. Also, those shields only deflect charged radiations, they have no effects on neutrons, X and gamma rays.
Crap I should've read this earlier. This isn't good.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Could we replicate this is laboratory conditions?
I think so, it's surely possible to create a proton beam in a vacuum chamber and check that it can be deflected by such a magnet. But the idea itself is not especially new, it's just the Lorentz force. The difficult part of such a project is rather about finding the best superconductor material.

Crap I should've read this earlier. This isn't good.
Electrically charged radiations are still a big part of the danger. Especially that they tend to generate showers of secondary particles when they hit a passive shield, which can also harm the astronauts. That's why it can be interesting to deflect them instead. I've read that NASA wants to experiment electrostatic shields for this purpose. Which sounds less futuristic than supraconductor electromagnets, but this would do the same job. Of course, this would be in addition of a passive protection.

In short, electromagnetic shields can't protect from everything, but they can be part of the solution.

T

The Dark in the Light

I'm only two weeks late but bloody great work Cosmo! I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Ah good times, Im planning to convert into a video format to make viewing easier for you and me. I'll only be playing in RSS PC version from now on.
I've been doing some Soviet legacy missions shared amongst the SFS forum veterans on Discord for a while now, and I think Im ready to document.

Will be hearing from me again soon.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend