Is it possible to build a station that surrounds the entire earth and stops rockets leaving?

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I have thought of this for ages and it got me wondering if it is possible

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
No. The biggest craft the game could handle (as of 1.4) is 5km. I am certain 1.5 can't handle much bigger, let alone the whole Earth or even Phobos for that matter.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I have thought of this for ages and it got me wondering if it is possible
So basically a Dyson Sphere, but around Earth?

No. Even if the game could handle objects larger then 5km in length, the sheer size of such an object would crash the game before you completed 0.1% of the circumference of the planet.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
No. The biggest craft the game could handle (as of 1.4) is 5km. I am certain 1.5 can't handle much bigger, let alone the whole Earth or even Phobos for that matter.
However it's to be noticed that Phobos and Deimos size has been reduced in 1.5 Their radius is now 1000m and 600m. Now it becomes possible (at least in theory) to encircle them without exceeding the 5km limit. Now because such a structure would have its center of mass inside the asteroid, the game would probably consider it's crashed. I'm not sure but we could expect some glitches there.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
However it's to be noticed that Phobos and Deimos size has been reduced in 1.5 Their radius is now 1000m and 600m. Now it becomes possible (at least in theory) to encircle them without exceeding the 5km limit. Now because such a structure would have its center of mass inside the asteroid, the game would probably consider it's crashed. I'm not sure but we could expect some glitches there.
Oh you had to say it.
Now all we're gonna get is 'challenges' to build an orbital box around Diemos and provide the blueprints/quicksave for them.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Oh you had to say it.
Now all we're gonna get is 'challenges' to build an orbital box around Diemos and provide the blueprints/quicksave for them.
If I have the time I will do the challenge and if people ask for a BP I'll send them pics or the BP on paper

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Oh you had to say it.
Oh, people didn't wait for it to propose such challenges anyway. And not only around Phobos/Deimos. As long as they first do it themselves, they have the right to propose such a challenge though :)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Oh, people didn't wait for it to propose such challenges anyway. And not only around Phobos/Deimos. As long as they first do it themselves, they have the right to propose such a challenge though :)
Yeah, but they normally got reality checked pretty swiftly. I meant the types that want you to ship the materials to diemos so they can have a box around that moon

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
should we all try this it might work

See, this might be possible, but nobody is stupid enough to try it.

So let me show you how I did it.

*scrolls past sections for good blueprints, questionable blueprints, and finds rediculous blueprints*
Ah, here we go.
1592754912148.png

While that ship worked, I decided to change it up. I moved the launch pad to Deimos and used this ship, with infinite fuel (and unbreaking parts). Each segment is symmetrical, but I couldn't scroll out far enough for the screenshot.
1592754856178.png

The build height is 160 blocks, and I have 11 segments that stack end-to-end. Thus, each launch will fold out to be 1760 blocks, or 880 meters. Again, that's per launch.

This image shows two sections put together.
1592755232763.png

I used 2 launches per side, so 6 launches total for three sides. Then I engulfed the moon with it, muahahaha! It only took a few hours for me to move it down because of the lag.

1592755328272.png

I had not planned to close the final side, but decided to give it a try. As soon as I launched, though, the square was gone. So while landing, the center of mass did go below the surface, that didn't seem to cause any issues. It was when I reloaded that the vessle was considered crashed and was removed from the game.

Lessons learned:
DON'T DO THIS. It's stupid and I'm stupid and my phone is stupid and it took so long to do. I proved that it can be done, why would you want to do this too? If you want to just one-up me, there are plenty of other things you can beat me in.

Capiche?

That being said, if you do want to give this a try, let me know. I'll point out some tips and things I might have done differently.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure

*scrolls past sections for good blueprints, questionable blueprints, and finds rediculous blueprints*
Ah, here we go.
View attachment 40173

While that ship worked, I decided to change it up. I moved the launch pad to Deimos and used this ship, with infinite fuel (and unbreaking parts). Each segment is symmetrical, but I couldn't scroll out far enough for the screenshot.
View attachment 40172
The build height is 160 blocks, and I have 11 segments that stack end-to-end. Thus, each launch will fold out to be 1760 blocks, or 880 meters. Again, that's per launch.

View attachment 40174
I used 2 launches per side, so 6 launches total for three sides. Then I engulfed the moon with it, muahahaha! It only took a few hours for me to move it down because of the lag.

View attachment 40175

I had not planned to close the final side, but decided to give it a try. As soon as I launched, though, the square was gone. So while landing, the center of mass did go below the surface, that didn't seem to cause any issues. It was when I reloaded that the vessle was considered crashed and was removed from the game.

Lessons learned:
DON'T DO THIS. It's stupid and I'm stupid and my phone is stupid and it took so long to do. I proved that it can be done, why would you want to do this too? If you want to just one-up me, there are plenty of other things you can beat me in.

Capiche?

That being said, if you do want to give this a try, let me know. I'll point out some tips and things I might have done differently.
Madman.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend

Ah, here we go.
View attachment 40173

View attachment 40172

View attachment 40174

View attachment 40175

Lessons learned:

Capiche?

Brilliant.... I'm speechless.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Ah, here we go.
View attachment 40173

View attachment 40172

View attachment 40174

View attachment 40175

Lessons learned:

Capiche?

It still won't stop nuggets from trying / asking.
You see it doesn't want to play just from the first picture. The second, the CoM is nearly 500m below the surface.
Did you use the moveable launchpad to save you time?

It still won't stop nuggets from trying / asking.
You see it doesn't want to play just from the first picture. The second, the CoM is nearly 500m below the surface.
Did you use the moveable launchpad to save you time?
Yeah, the Deimos launchpad saved a huge amount of time. There was one iteration that had about 8 segments and large engines for launching from Earth.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

Ah, here we go.
View attachment 40173

View attachment 40172

View attachment 40174

View attachment 40175

Lessons learned:

Capiche?

Noooo! We had countless people posting that challenge, and we told to all of them it was impossible. We'll have to contact all of them to admit we were wrong, and we'll have to do it as an apology :eek:

More seriously, well done, you're the first one crazy enough to seriously attempt this!
To avoid the center of mass problem, you could have one of the square's side compound of heavy fuel tanks, so that the rest wouldn't significantly move it. But still, that's a mad idea, I won't attempt this personally. :rolleyes:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
More seriously, well done, you're the first one crazy enough to seriously attempt this!
To avoid the center of mass problem, you could have one of the square's side compound of heavy fuel tanks, so that the rest wouldn't significantly move it. But still, that's a mad idea, I won't attempt this personally
Well, you do have the right kind of launch vehicle to achieve this...

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Someone actually encircled Deimos! Admittedly, they used cheats but the idea is still there.

Bananas

Mr. Nice Moderator
Registered

Ah, here we go.
View attachment 40173

View attachment 40172

View attachment 40174

View attachment 40175

Lessons learned:

Capiche?

Holy shit you actually did it.

This is it I think
As long as it took me, it didn't come near to the 41 hours he said it took me. I might have put 8 hours or so it.

Also, he said in the comments "600 meter docking port, it was the only way to build this structure at all"
Well, we all learn something new

Last edited: