Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And this

Kerbal Space Program 27_03_2020 16_02_50.png

Yeah, that's right. Those are airbreathing jet engines (the whiplash ramjets), fitted to the first stage of an orbital launch vehicle.

Why? Cos I can.

Did it work?

Eventually

Kerbal Space Program 27_03_2020 17_01_29.png

T

The Dark in the Light

I saved my crew from certain death. I was messing around with the back door and the plane got out of control. I didn't build this plane.
Screenshot (135).png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Erm. Someone forgot to feed the Kraken a few nights ago, so it feasted upon my half built station...

Which randomly turned into a few hundred tons of spaghetti mid-way through a docking sequence.

Fuck.

Well if life gives you Kraken, you give it MOAR BOOSTERZ.

And after a 'minor' redesign, made a new one. But I'm not launching the core in several bitesize (excuse the pun Mr Kraken) chunks. It's going up in a one, all 160-200tons of it.

Films & TV 30_03_2020 13_29_52.png

It's not the heaviest payload. Or the most powerful/largest L/V I've created. It is however the bulkiest payload I've mounted onto a rocket by a huge margin.

Oh, and remember what I said about MOAR BOOSTERZ?

I actually mean main engines. Lots of main engines...

Films & TV 30_03_2020 13_23_55.png

24 main engines in the first stage, 18,000kN+ thrust without SRBs

Cos there's so many engines and soooo much thrust, I had to cluster and fire them in sequences of 8 so it wouldn't rip itself apart whilst chained to the pad.

Films & TV 30_03_2020 13_25_15.png

That's 1x Space Station core in orbit.

Films & TV 30_03_2020 13_25_46.png

That Dv counter on the 3rd stage must be wrong, there's only about a thousand in that stage. Still, could shift this into Mun orbit if I wanted too...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Everything can be fixed with just MOAR BOOSTAAZ
Only if they play nice.

That white cone is the plume of my SRBs, distinctively away from the orbiter in silhouette

Kerbal Space Program 30_03_2020 13_01_39.png

Kerbal Space Program 30_03_2020 13_01_45.png

They're still attached to the ET at full burn. I'd executed my usual roll program in early launch flight and for some reason the ET tore off the orbiter and decided it wanted to go by itself.

Who was I to deny its wishes...?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Holy crap...
Hey Horus, you gonna try out carreer mode? I think it's pretty fun, and I'm doing somewhat well. I still haven't left LKO yet.
Probably not. Same reason as to why I never did any mission on any GTA game. I have a lot more fun in open world, learning at my pace and doing my own missions than being constrained by the game.

Well, i lie. I have a career save file, done a few launches, discovered it's a bit grindy to the sole end of advancing up the tech tree and thought fuck it, sandbox already has everything unlocked so why bother.

Wouldn't worry about that dude. I haven't been much further than GSO often either. Been to the moon a few times and got some sats around minmus to trial a few things but I'm still getting competent at the game, building, flight, docking, landing etc.

And I'm in no rush to go much further yet

Kerbal Space Program 03_04_2020 01_33_38.png

Not when it looks this good at 325km

T

The Dark in the Light

Probably not. Same reason as to why I never did any mission on any GTA game. I have a lot more fun in open world, learning at my pace and doing my own missions than being constrained by the game.

Well, i lie. I have a career save file, done a few launches, discovered it's a bit grindy to the sole end of advancing up the tech tree and thought fuck it, sandbox already has everything unlocked so why bother.

Wouldn't worry about that dude. I haven't been much further than GSO often either. Been to the moon a few times and got some sats around minmus to trial a few things but I'm still getting competent at the game, building, flight, docking, landing etc.

And I'm in no rush to go much further yet

View attachment 35667

Not when it looks this good at 325km
It does look pretty good that high up. I played mainly sandbox for awhile, but I stopped because I always had the urge to use the biggest engines and whatnot. I've learn't stuff from playing career, which is great. And for the GTA missions, I've played V and half the time I'm doing missions and the other half is blowing shit up and trying to escape the cops. I like both, career and sandbox, the story line and blowing stuff up.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It does look pretty good that high up. I played mainly sandbox for awhile, but I stopped because I always had the urge to use the biggest engines and whatnot. I've learn't stuff from playing career, which is great. And for the GTA missions, I've played V and half the time I'm doing missions and the other half is blowing shit up and trying to escape the cops. I like both, career and sandbox, the story line and blowing stuff up.
Ah, I've been doing that since GTA I. Same with Driver, Just Cause. I think I did the story in Fallout so I could access more of the map.

That is true, but then I don't find small launches challenging even with limited equipment. The main difficulty I have for launches is Kraken and that isn't an issue when you're working with small rockets. That's why I like hewg payloads cos the level of planning makes it interesting.

Kerbal Space Program 03_04_2020 01_41_11.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Bigger rockets aren't always an easy way out either, even beyond Kraken attacks.

Going big constrains you hugely on what parts are available, especially non-stock diameter rocket cores.

Example here:

Kerbal Space Program 03_04_2020 14_42_19.png

The inner ring is the largest one piece reaction wheel in stock, designed for the largest core diameter of 3 metres. As you may have guessed, I've got modded tank sizes that are much bigger, but all you have to select from is tanks, payload covers and a probe control ring. You don't get reaction wheels of this size.

So you have to build your own, using pair of 5 metre servicing bays and a liberal application of smaller wheels combined with power generation and storage.

I have another size up, the 7.5metre sections which are simply enormous and are used on the first stage here.

Same comes with stability. Small rockets you can just chuck on an aero part or 2 at it, make it a 3 way around the core and be done. I'm having to craft fins that are tiny in perspective but would be wings for lesser craft.

Kerbal Space Program 03_04_2020 17_27_20.png

To put them into perspective, on the left is one of the 'fins'. On the right is the wing from the Space Shuttle minus strake and the ailerons etc.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Last night, on Kerbal Exploding Space Shuttle Program...

After about...15 fucked launches (including just exploding on the launchpad. Whatya gonna do, it's a space shuttle?), the STS copy finally managed to attain orbit with a decent enough inclination to make a RV with the space station I also had to re-build for the 3rd time.

It's always night-time when I'm doing cool things, or just doing things that require visibility. So it's a good thing I installed a fair amount of floodlighting on the station to illuminate the incoming shuttle and cargo bay.

The extendable crew docking tubes are awesome by the way.

Kerbal Space Program 04_04_2020 05_29_41.png

I even did an inspection backflip prior to docking. Cos if you don't then it's not a proper Space Shuttle flight.

Kerbal Space Program 04_04_2020 05_32_18.png

Kerbal Space Program 04_04_2020 05_42_13.png

Ignore the contents of the cargo bay. Especially the aft section, which is basically fuel cos the STS provided doesn't have enough solo capability to attain 325km orbit so I had to...improvise a little.

It's also carrying a habitation module. Not for adding to the station, but as a crew living space. This shuttle doesn't have much payload lift capacity so I'm using it to 'shuttle' crew up and down look cool in pictures.

Kerbal Space Program 04_04_2020 05_50_16.png

This is a game and it looks awesome.

I can fully understand what astronauts mean though when they mention the view from a space walk as a life changing event.

Kerbal Space Program 04_04_2020 05_53_38.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well with the addition of the science wing with 3 crew onboard*, the station is finally fully assembled**.

Kerbal Space Program 05_04_2020 17_11_45.png

Kerbal Space Program 05_04_2020 17_17_49.png

Kerbal Space Program 05_04_2020 17_25_29.png

And she looks glorious.

*Needed to assemble the centrifuges
**Until the Kraken arrives anyway

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
how are your screenshots full pictures, while mine are just in the top left?
What resolution is your game screen compared to the monitor resolution? Or it could be how your screenshot program does things.

Are you using the game capture program that comes withwindows 10?

If not, how I was doing it before was pressing printscreen then pasting that into paint, cropping out the irrelevant parts and saving.

T

The Dark in the Light

What resolution is your game screen compared to the monitor resolution? Or it could be how your screenshot program does things.

Are you using the game capture program that comes withwindows 10?

If not, how I was doing it before was pressing printscreen then pasting that into paint, cropping out the irrelevant parts and saving.
I simple use windows key + printscreen. I can't find a paint thing though.

T

The Dark in the Light

A good booster working?
One that can take this to LKO (staged, not SSTO) without going into the flip of death 500meters off the launchpad. All of the boosters I've built just don't work. But the small station itself looks nice. Your station inspired me to try and build one myself.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
One that can take this to LKO (staged, not SSTO) without going into the flip of death 500meters off the launchpad. All of the boosters I've built just don't work. But the small station itself looks nice. Your station inspired me to try and build one myself.
It's not the boosters, it's the aero. You need fins at the back. BIG fins. Make sure the centre of thrust is through the core engine (just check your boosters are mirrored either side) and then craft some decent sized fins yourself. The single part stock ones are...useless...once the payloads get longer.

Basically your payload becomes the drag king and it tries going to the back of the flight. You need to over-match that with fins at the rear.

The Centre of aero doesn't account for the payload fairing in the build screen, but a good way to tell what is happening is press F12 before launch and watch the red lines grow as you lift.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered