Ksp Vulcan

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Recently I've been working on a Vulcan bomber on Kerbal Space Program.
SAVE_20210313_220953.jpg
SAVE_20210313_220932.jpg

That's my progress on it as of last night. Don't have a picture of its current state right now though.
I'm putting some good effort into this so it has all the accurate elevons , flaps etc as well as a fuel probe , bomb bay , accurate landing gear and the ladder leading the cockpit. Once I'm finished making them in ms paint I'll have all the markings and livery (the anti radiation livery) for a Vulcan , specifically XM612 which is not too far from my house. I'll update you guys once I've done some more work.

Last edited:

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I should make clear that the Vulcan who's markings I'm replicating actually has the camo livery but mine will have the anti radiation livery. I would make it the camo livery but that would mean covering the plane in flags. Maybe in the future but right now I'm going to have to settle with it having an inaccurate livery.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
But does she howl...?

You going for full anti-flash white?

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I would love her too but sadly , no she doesn't.

You going for full anti-flash white?
I will probably stay with this livery all over. Camo would just make the part count skyrocket from all the flags. I tried adding the bit of black under the nose but even that added more parts than it was worth.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Now that she has a bomb bay i'm finished with her accept for payloads.
screenshot120.png

Im now going to work on a harrier GR9 which i will also post here.

Last edited:

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
After a long break and some fine tuning the Harrier GR9 is done for now.
screenshot212.png
screenshot213.png
screenshot214.png

She flies reasonably well in normal flight , a bit of a tough bird but she does the job. She can barely fly in VTOL due to drag problems with the tail. Once you've got a bit of vertical speed , she pulls right back and flips backwards but now that's been fixed to an extent with balancing. You still can't go fast upwards with it though.

Hope you like her , she is one of the most tedious planes I've built in KSP but I'm very happy with the result.

Next I plan to make the other 2 V bombers , the Victor then the Viscount.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
That's really nice. What do you mean, drag problems with the tail? If you're flying in VTOL mode, drag shouldn't be a problem, because you are going slow.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
That's really nice. What do you mean, drag problems with the tail? If you're flying in VTOL mode, drag shouldn't be a problem, because you are going slow.
I thought the same but in any circumstance whether the COM is on the COT , behind it or way in front of it the plane will always violently flip backwards after you've got a bit of vertical speed going (a few seconds after takeoff).

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
I thought the same but in any circumstance whether the COM is on the COT , behind it or way in front of it the plane will always violently flip backwards after you've got a bit of vertical speed going (a few seconds after takeoff).
Are you absolutely sure is the drag? Did you see a massive red line coming out of the tail? If yes, then is probably a KSP bug, or a mod bug.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Are you absolutely sure is the drag? Did you see a massive red line coming out of the tail? If yes, then is probably a KSP bug, or a mod bug.
Ah i forgot about the f12 function , good idea because it's not drag apparently. No line. Not sure what it is then really. Fuel distribution? Ill have a tinker.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Ah i forgot about the f12 function , good idea because it's not drag apparently. No line. Not sure what it is then really. Fuel distribution? Ill have a tinker.
It could be the fuel, maybe you accidentally increased the priority of a fuel tank, making it drain faster than the others. Also, how did you made that tail? Procedural wings?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It's the tailplane. You've got a big flat surface at the back and nothing balancing it at the front when you're lifting vertically.

Just gonna have to keep the VTOL climb rate down, or throw some RCS at it.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
It could be the fuel, maybe you accidentally increased the priority of a fuel tank, making it drain faster than the others. Also, how did you made that tail? Procedural wings?
The tail is completely stock.
It's the tailplane. You've got a big flat surface at the back and nothing balancing it at the front when you're lifting vertically.

Just gonna have to keep the VTOL climb rate down, or throw some RCS at it.
Yes I worried as much , I'll do that.

The real Harrier has RCS, so I think some RCS would help here
It's already got RCS in all the real places.