Landing the whole ISS on the launchpad and launching a new one.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
ISS, the International Space Station…

01 old ISS image.png

Is too laggy, lol…

Also, takes A LOT of space in the quicksave file (744 KB). This is specially concerning because my game becomes unplayable when the quicksave passes 7.8 MB (currently takes 7.49) and completely unloadable beyond 8.06 MB… which means I’m dangerously close to the limit, and I want to keep building stuff…

An obvious solution would be to remove the old ISS… But I just don’t want to do that… So, I’ve decided to land that old ISS and launch a new one that takes less disk space.

So, the first step is to evacuate the crew… We’re going to use an STS for that… The Shuttle will also deliver the landing gear for the Station.

02 STS mission 1.png

Landed! Now I’ll just launch the deorbit thrusters using this beautiful Falcon 9 that I downloaded somewhere. To the guy who made it: Bro, nice build!

03 Falcon 9 mission.png

Notice solar panels are folded, they are no longer necessary.

Perfect, now that the old ISS is ready and evacuated, we’re gonna use those Ions to get a very high apoapsis exactly over the launchpad… And then, lower the periapsis to descent on the LP….

Luckily this thing creates a lot of drag… and has enough parachutes to land by itself…

04 ISS Reentry.png

05 ISS landed.png

Danny would be proud of my landing gear, lol.

Touchdown! Well, this is historic. I had landed other (much smaller :p) stations before, but this is the first time I land a whole station ON THE LAUNCHPAD!

Now we can launch the new ISS! This one only takes 287 KB!

06 new ISS launch.png

Yeahh… Drag, right? You all think rag won’t let me get that thing off the Earth… WELL LET’S CHECK IT OUT! Let’s exit, resume and watch the result!

They said I couldn't...

They said it was impossible…

That just can’t be done…

IT IS POSSIBLE!

07 new ISS in orbit.png

Well, this rocket is bp edited, but the engines haven’t been altered. I’m just stacking all fuel tanks together to avoid spend 1 hour building an EC rocket.

Now, BEHOLD!

08 new ISS.png

Beautiful… About the launch vehicle… Both SRBs and Core were designed to be reusable, but I didn’t succeed to land them… They landed, but harmed, so I won’t consider that a victory.

The final step is to launch the new crew… again with an STS…

09 STS mission 2.png

That concludes this mission. On this new station, lag is minimum and I can use the space gained on the quicksave file to build another station somewhere in the universe… for example, that long awaited Europa base. :D

T

The Dark in the Light

View attachment 30611

Is too laggy, lol…

Also, takes A LOT of space in the quicksave file (744 KB). This is specially concerning because my game becomes unplayable when the quicksave passes 7.8 MB (currently takes 7.49) and completely unloadable beyond 8.06 MB… which means I’m dangerously close to the limit, and I want to keep building stuff…

An obvious solution would be to remove the old ISS… But I just don’t want to do that… So, I’ve decided to land that old ISS and launch a new one that takes less disk space.

So, the first step is to evacuate the crew… We’re going to use an STS for that… The Shuttle will also deliver the landing gear for the Station.

View attachment 30612

Landed! Now I’ll just launch the deorbit thrusters using this beautiful Falcon 9 that I downloaded somewhere. To the guy who made it: Bro, nice build!

View attachment 30613

Perfect, now that the old ISS is ready and evacuated, we’re gonna use those Ions to get a very high apoapsis exactly over the launchpad… And then, lower the periapsis to descent on the LP….

Luckily this thing creates a lot of drag… and has enough parachutes to land by itself…

View attachment 30614

View attachment 30615

Touchdown! Well, this is historic. I had landed other (much smaller :p) stations before, but this is the first time I land a whole station ON THE LAUNCHPAD!

View attachment 30616

Yeahh… Drag, right? You all think rag won’t let me get that thing off the Earth… WELL LET’S CHECK IT OUT! Let’s exit, resume and watch the result!

They said I couldn't...

That just can’t be done…

IT IS POSSIBLE!

View attachment 30617

Well, this rocket is bp edited, but the engines haven’t been altered. I’m just stacking all fuel tanks together to avoid spend 1 hour building an EC rocket.

Now, BEHOLD!

View attachment 30618

Beautiful… About the launch vehicle… Both SRBs and Core were designed to be reusable, but I didn’t succeed to land them… They landed, but harmed, so I won’t consider that a victory.

View attachment 30619

That concludes this mission. On this new station, lag is minimum and I can use the space gained on the quicksave file to build another station somewhere in the universe… for example, that long awaited Europa base. :D
Damn... That is awesome!!! I think now I might try to deorbit and land my station

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure

View attachment 30611

Is too laggy, lol…

View attachment 30612

View attachment 30613

View attachment 30614

View attachment 30615

View attachment 30616

They said I couldn't...

That just can’t be done…

IT IS POSSIBLE!

View attachment 30617

Now, BEHOLD!

View attachment 30618

View attachment 30619

I have been sitting in the idea to deorbit parts of my ISS “if” 1.5 comes out. I wouldn’t do the whole station like you did, but big portions of modules. This would allow for the addition of more visually appealing modules using 1.5 paints.