Leg Day

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I was recently building random things, when I came up with a new landing leg design. After a bit of testing, I found that it can safely hold 1000 tons. If you want to use it', feel free. (Infinite fuel was used so the mass didn't decrease as I deployed the legs)

Screenshot_20210420-165626.png
Screenshot_20210420-165939.png
Screenshot_20210420-165813.png

Feel free to use this design if you want. You need to make sure the engine is in the same position relative to the main leg assembly. The size of fairings don't really matter as long as the space between the inside edge and fuel tank is the same.

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Screenshot_20210420-173821.png

Screenshot_20210420-173759.png

Now rated to 2.1 kilotons. Now I'm really pushing it. You need to set it down at less than 1m/s, and you need to ease off the throttle over the course of maybe 20 seconds.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Another landing gear guy!

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
How fast it can handle without yeeting itself? :l

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
How fast it can handle without yeeting itself? :l
It really depends on the mass it's supporting (higher mass = lower top velocity), but the top velocity is around 10m/s, which is the top impact speed of the components it is made out of. With a standard 200 ton test mass it could survive the full 10m/s, whereas it could only survive about 0.5m/s with 2 kilotons.

There’s a motive to bring Danny Batten back: Competition!
I doubt I'll ever be able to match his level of skill, but you never know! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another landing gear guy!
...maybe :p

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Screenshot_20210421-012403~2.png

Screenshot_20210421-012727~2.png

I'm testing out the strength and performance on angles, and both are actually pretty good. I think I'm going to see if I can get them to hold 3000 tons. If not, maybe I'll try to make them retractable.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Look at Danny Batten's work... He used to make gears, lot of gears and bit timewarp builds ;) :p

It really depends on the mass it's supporting (higher mass = lower top velocity), but the top velocity is around 10m/s, which is the top impact speed of the components it is made out of. With a standard 200 ton test mass it could survive the full 10m/s, whereas it could only survive about 0.5m/s with 2 kilotons.
Ah I see, maybe I could grab some inspiration over der, if you may? :)