light speed mission

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
This challenge is impossible without cheats.
It can’t be done, not even with ION engines

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered
And even if you did have cheats, it would take months if not years to get to that speed.
And I haven’t even gone in to the game glitching from distance

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Danny is right, this is completely unrealistic. Even a fly-by of the Sun won't get you close to 1% of the objective.
The light speed is REALLY huge dude. That would make you travel from Earth to the Sun in no more than 10 seconds (in SFS, not in real life).

Danny Batten

Professor
Registered
The only way I can see this being possible would be to change the thrust of the engine in the files

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
The only way I can see this being possible would be to change the thrust of the engine in the files
There is no way that I know of to change the power of an engine via file editing, however you can increase the throttle via save editing, however your fuel consumption increases as a result of this, so you need to increase the fuel as well.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
There is no way that I know of to change the power of an engine via file editing, however you can increase the throttle via save editing, however your fuel consumption increases as a result of this, so you need to increase the fuel as well.
To clarify, you use the same amount of fuel as normal, you just burn it quicker due to the higher throttle. At least if I remember correctly, I haven't tried in a long time.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
To clarify, you use the same amount of fuel as normal, you just burn it quicker due to the higher throttle. At least if I remember correctly, I haven't tried in a long time.
That's correct, you would need to increase Isp actually. But raising thrust would be a good idea too, to make it shorter.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Just for fun, I calculated how much fuel you should bring with you to achieve this. I supposed that beside the fuel, the rocket would only have 1 probe, 1 ion engine and 2 small solar panels, so 5.1 tons of dry mass.

I supposed we would use Asparagus staging, as this is the most fuel-efficient technique (that I know) to get a high speed.

Try to think to a number, and check the answer to see how close you are from it.
You would need 1.484 × 10^(14469) tons of fuel.
Not to mention that the burn time would be far beyond the age of the Universe :p

Bananas

Mr. Nice Moderator
Registered
Our general view on challenges (inspired by Space stig) is that you shouldn't post a challenge unless you can do it yourself.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend