Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway

What are your thoughts on the Lunar Gateway? What are the benefits to having this gateway?

I think most people don't realize it will take extra fuel and time to use it, but this community understands orbital mechanics, hence why I'm posting.

(artist's impression- from Wikipedia)
1547766335849.png

meant that as in "i don't"
(i actually do just not to the extent of a lot of people here)
Oh I totally understand, but my point is that anyone who plays this game or KSP knows, to some degree, the requirements on time and fuel to rendezvous, or how if a ship is capable of rendezvousing with a ship in a given orbit, it is capable of reaching that orbit without rendezvousing.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
To be frank I don't know what to think about it... In terms of scientific research I don't see the interest, compared to a station in LEO. Well, except if we talk about observing the Moon (especially its far side).
I would rather see it as a step towards future deep space exploration, so that a crew can learn to behave in an autonomous way in deep space, to evaluate the dangers of space navigation... The solar radiations for example. In LEO the astronauts are still protected by the Earth' magnetic field, but they are much more exposed in Moon orbit (a solar flare would kill them!).
And of course on a geopolitical point of view that's a demonstration of power :)

To be frank I don't know what to think about it... In terms of scientific research I don't see the interest, compared to a station in LEO. Well, except if we talk about observing the Moon (especially its far side).
I would rather see it as a step towards future deep space exploration, so that a crew can learn to behave in an autonomous way in deep space, to evaluate the dangers of space navigation... The solar radiations for example. In LEO the astronauts are still protected by the Earth' magnetic field, but they are much more exposed in Moon orbit (a solar flare would kill them!).
And of course on a geopolitical point of view that's a demonstration of power :)
Moon colonization is man's first step, man doesn't just suddenly think about building the 747 out of nowhere, they still need to learn how birds fly.
Sorry I just misread your message, yeah you're right.