Manned mission to Ceres (Preparations for Project Le Verrier)

Does the use of slides makes this post easier to read?

• Yes, I like watching slides instead of reading

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, is still boring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe If you change the fonts to make look less child-like

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Whateva

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, so, I’ve accepted the challenge of the Project Le Verrier, by Horus Lupercal. For that I have to make massive tests of technology, create scientific probes and make a deep-space habitat for the crew.

Also, I’ve thinking and, I want to have a semi-permanent human presence on every landable body of the solar system. The Express Program is the first step in that direction. The second one is to create settlements on the target bodies to support larger crews, or a small crew for a longer period of time.

Well, I’ve decided that create large colonies with hundreds of habitants on every single planet is impossible, at least for my device. My current. qks is over 7 MB and it crashed the last time it reached 8.06 MB losing a lot of data… If Stef changes the way SFS saves, reducing the length of the qks file, I might retake that direction.

For now, my measure is to deploy small bases on several designated bodies for reduced temporary crews (less than 5 astronauts), and use those bases to explore not only the current body, but the ones nearby, using the Express spacecrafts. This concept is similar to the first Soviet Salyut Stations and the American Skylab, stations that weren’t manned 24/7. It’s the same here.

So I’ve decided to do two tests in a single mission. One is to test the equipment related with Project Le Verrier, and the other is to test the concept of both mobile and static temporary base to see which one fits more with the colonization goal.

I’ve chosen Ceres as my destination. My objectives on this mission are:

• Prepare a multi-launch manned deep-space mission.
• Deploy and recover different types of launch vehicles.
• Test temporary base concept.
• Test mobile base concept.
• Test low gravity vehicle.
• Conduct a massive exploration of dwarf planet 1 Ceres.

As the objectives indicate, I will do this in multiple launches, because I require multiple launches to assemble the vessel I will use for Project Le Verrier.

The first LV is the Energia 3, a semi-reusable orbital carrier, designed for 250 tons with drag on. I will use this rocket for the first 2 launches. On launch 1 travels the crew of this mission, composed by only 4 astronauts. Small crews are easy to maintain.

01 Launch 1.png
02 Launch 2.png

Now comes the Galilea 2. One of my secondary objectives is to measure the performance of both the Galilea and the Energia to see which one is the best.

03 Launch 3.png
04 LEO.png

After that we are ready to go. The voyage to Ceres was simple, by direct injection. It has to be this way, cause both the Express spacecrafts and the planned Project Le Verrier vessel will go to their destinations by direct injection.

05 Arrival to Ceres.png
06 Surface of Ceres.png

The exploration of Ceres can now begin. The mobile base failed to move using its wheels, because of the low gravity and high torque, but still can move using its ion engines. The hovercraft can also be used as an exploration vehicle. During this phase, 2 astronauts remained on the mobile base, 1 on the static base, and 1 on the hover.

The hover and the MB scouted the surface of 1 Ceres for a long time…

07 Exploring Ceres.png

After that, our mission here is completed, we can begin the odyssey back to Earth. The static base will remain here, as I explained before, will remain unmanned, so a future Express mission to Ceres can use it as a refuge. All 4 astronauts will return home on the MB.

08 Return Configuration.png

Again, the voyage to Earth was by direct injection, and then aerobrake to achieve a low orbit.

Although the MB has a return capsule to bring the crew to the ground, its fuel is too low to deorbit, even using Ion enignes, I have to send a refuel mission. At the same time I would like to recover the MB and tug, so here comes launch 4 and final.

09 Recovering the crafts..png
10 Final.png
11 Summary.png

This concludes this mission. The equipment for Project Le Verrier has been tested and certified and we have the first Express Temporary Base, on Ceres. Thank you for reading till the end :)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
For a kit shakedown, that's a really good effort dude.

Are you using chemical or electric landing engines for the lander/hovercraft sections?
And I like the use of remotely operated equipment. Why the hell not? SpaceX does everything unmanned.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
We have a Ceres base, but where is the long-awaited Vesta base?

Anyway this mission is really great and detailed, and i applaud you for that!

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
For a kit shakedown, that's a really good effort dude.

Are you using chemical or electric landing engines for the lander/hovercraft sections?
And I like the use of remotely operated equipment. Why the hell not? SpaceX does everything unmanned.
Thanks. Yes, it uses a combination of both chemical (Broadswords) and Ion Engines, hidden inside the static base.

We have a Ceres base, but where is the long-awaited Vesta base?

Anyway this mission is really great and detailed, and i applaud you for that!
Thanks, dude!