Mercury Rocket

D

Dr_Dino

Hello! I have been trying to get to mercury for quite a while now and need a rocket that is capable of getting to mars (not coming back).

P.S. This is my first post so please tell me if I did something wrong. Thanks!

T

TtTOtW

Hello! I have been trying to get to mercury for quite a while now and need a rocket that is capable of getting to mars (not coming back).

P.S. This is my first post so please tell me if I did something wrong. Thanks!
Getting to Mercury is not really hard... Landing is near impossible (read "requires decent skill, decent planning and plenty of... um... let's call it practice...). I'll post a rocket that can get you there if you fly decently. That means using only as much throttle as necessary, since part throttle saves a lot of fuel. Which you'll need for braking... Anyway, let me post that rocket for you.

D

Dr_Dino

Oh, thanks! I meant to find a rocket that can land on mercury but I'm not sure if it is possible to edit posts but I just wanted to find out what people would say. Thanks!
Another thing, im broke as heck so I don't big pieces. Sorry!

T

TtTOtW

Oh, thanks! I meant to find a rocket that can land on mercury but I'm not sure if it is possible to edit posts but I just wanted to find out what people would say. Thanks!
Right... Let me redesign that rocket...

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Did you consider using gravity assist to save fuel? I often do this when travelling to other planets. For a trip to Mercury you can do it twice: using the moon, and then Venus. The boost you get from the moon is not that great though, but the one from Venus is quite valuable.

D

Dr_Dino

I don't have*

Aiden

Registered
Did you consider using gravity assist to save fuel? I often do this when travelling to other planets. For a trip to Mercury you can do it twice: using the moon, and then Venus. The boost you get from the moon is not that great though, but the one from Venus is quite valuable.
Is that a thing in this game?

D

Dr_Dino

I did it! (kinda)
2018-04-25-15-58-37.png

What happened: I got into Mercury orbit with an edited version of TtTOtW's rocket so it could fit the grid and got a collision course. I barely had any fuel at that point and when I tried to slow down I ran out of fuel & crashed into Mercury. Luckily, the slowdown was enough to prevent my ship (or what was left of it) to go flying up and crashing again. Pretty crazy huh?

Edited Ship
2018-04-25-16-07-54.png
2018-04-25-16-07-59.png

Thank you all for your help!

P.S. When I went to resume game to get pictures, my pod glitched out and exploded. Atleast I got the picture to prove I did it!

Aiden

Registered
I did it! (kinda)
View attachment 589

What happened: I got into Mercury orbit with an edited version of TtTOtW's rocket so it could fit the grid and got a collision course. I barely had any fuel at that point and when I tried to slow down I ran out of fuel & crashed into Mercury. Luckily, the slowdown was enough to prevent my ship (or what was left of it) to go flying up and crashing again. Pretty crazy huh?

Edited Ship
View attachment 590 View attachment 591

Thank you all for your help!

P.S. When I went to resume game to get pictures, my pod glitched out and exploded. Atleast I got the picture to prove I did it!
Let me try

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Just for fun, I made a rocket to a one way trip to Mercury, here is the plan:
Rocket.png

It's less powerful, but more efficient, you'll just have to be patient, as the small engines have really low thrust. If you try it, the most difficult part is while getting into Earth orbit, you must aim for an orbit as low as possible, ideally below 50km altitude. Because of the 4 boosters, the rocket is very nervous at start, so it's easy to go too high. If that happens, you'll spend too much energy to circularize your orbit, so you would better start again. If you manage to do this, the rest is easy (provided you optimize at least a minimum your trajectory of course).

On my last try, I managed to get in close orbit around Mercury, and still had some fuel left (on the picture, the fuel gauge is the one of the last stage, the lander is still attached and have all its fuel):
OrbitingMercury.png
I used the remaining fuel to brake, then undocked the lander, and then landing was easy. Actually I spent much more fuel than necessary because I wanted to land next to another lander from a precedent try :p
Landed.png

I don't know if that rocket will fit into your grid though, but I'm sure you will find a solution to this ;)