Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Objective: Land on Mars with smallest amount of parts
Criteria: Lowest part count wins, if there's a tie then it's decided by mass
Rules:
-no BP editing
-no cheats
-fully stock (Anaís and closest approach line allowed)
-no exploits
Reward: The winner gets the blueprint to my new Puffin Shuttle.

As always, my submission goes first:
Screenshot_20230407-013959.png

Ugly, innit?
Screenshot_20230407-021625.png
Obviously I don't launch at full throttle with that TWR
Screenshot_20230407-021649.png
Stage separates by being burnt off by engine
Screenshot_20230407-011617.png
55% in LEO
Screenshot_20230407-020127.png
26% on Mars surface
Screenshot_20230407-020251.png
15% in low Mars orbit. I was scared I won't make it at this point.
Screenshot_20230407-020546.png Screenshot_20230407-013615.png
When I saw I had 1.9% left for my propulsive landing on earth, I breathed a sigh of relief. I knew I can land burning 2% when I have 4%, so having almost 2% was surely enough
Screenshot_20230407-013833.png

What a safe margin!
Screenshot_20230407-013916.png
Achievement screen

Screenshot_20230406-233632.png
Screenshot_20230407-011343.png

Yes, this is the fourth iteration

Last edited:
S

Sportgus

Ah I was actually going to try this for a revision of my team frontier mission, lowest mass or part count. Maybe I'll try this ;)

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
New version, reduced part count furthermore.
Screenshot_20230410-000609.png

Altaïr is there a simple way to calculate GA gains?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Altaïr is there a simple way to calculate GA gains?
I remember i saw some old topic, where they discussed a way how to calculate it. Simplified version - the difference between vectors of approach and going away from celestial body with addition of speeds will be direct answer to how much exactly you gained or lost. So simple angles of vectors and speed values are the arguments of delta V function.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
There is one trick that can help you and i never heard anyone using it.

For example, you can use 2-3 GA from moon in a row, but you still need to burn fuel at periapsis near moon on the last GA, to gain Mars. That would be fuel burned with less efficiency, than near Earth, and almost negates all benefits from those 2-3 GA.

There is a way do make GA from moon, which will put you directly back to high eccentricity obrit around Earth, where your periapsis will be again near atmosphere, but your apoapsis will be higher than moon. In this way you gain a little extra speed purely for free, because then you still can make Oberth burn from Earth instead of moon and go to Mars from Earth directly.

But i never tested how much delta V you will gain in this way. But it will be something, more than zero, and that is totally for free, since you don't need to burn fuel near the moon at all. Thus it might make a difference in your case. Since you are fighting for each pint of fuel.

For using this option you need to take counterclockwise orbit after launch from Earth. Then GA from Moon will switch your orbit to clockwise instead of throwing your periapsis far away from Earth, as would be in normal case. "Wrong" orbit direction kind of protects you from losing your good Oberth periapsis. But while periapsis will be thrown back with simply switching orbit direction - apoapsis will be thrown higher somewhat nevertheless, which meens you are getting some free delta V.

And you need to approach moon from above for it, not from below, since that allows you to collect more free acceleration from moon before your periapsis will be thrown away from Earth. You can practice all of it in that trainer challenge: link

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
@Altaïr is there a simple way to calculate GA gains?
Simple, no. Unless you try yourself with and without GA then check the difference, but I suppose it's not what you meant by "calculate".

If you're not afraid by maths, you can have a good estimation by calculation, but it requires calculating the transfers yourself, then the speed at which you encounter a planet to calculate the deflexion angle and deduce your new velocity vector, but it's painful. Or I should rather say, it was painful when all planet orbits were circular. Now with elliptical orbits the maths become ugly if you want to do it by hand. And it's still an approximation.

In the end the only way to get an accurate answer would be to run a simulation. And guess how you can run a simulation? :)

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Old version had 6 parts, new version have 6 parts, why it is counted as reduced?
Less mass
There is one trick that can help you and i never heard anyone using it.

For example, you can use 2-3 GA from moon in a row, but you still need to burn fuel at periapsis near moon on the last GA, to gain Mars. That would be fuel burned with less efficiency, than near Earth, and almost negates all benefits from those 2-3 GA.

There is a way do make GA from moon, which will put you directly back to high eccentricity obrit around Earth, where your periapsis will be again near atmosphere, but your apoapsis will be higher than moon. In this way you gain a little extra speed purely for free, because then you still can make Oberth burn from Earth instead of moon and go to Mars from Earth directly.

But i never tested how much delta V you will gain in this way. But it will be something, more than zero, and that is totally for free, since you don't need to burn fuel near the moon at all. Thus it might make a difference in your case. Since you are fighting for each pint of fuel.

For using this option you need to take counterclockwise orbit after launch from Earth. Then GA from Moon will switch your orbit to clockwise instead of throwing your periapsis far away from Earth, as would be in normal case. "Wrong" orbit direction kind of protects you from losing your good Oberth periapsis. But while periapsis will be thrown back with simply switching orbit direction - apoapsis will be thrown higher somewhat nevertheless, which meens you are getting some free delta V.

And you need to approach moon from above for it, not from below, since that allows you to collect more free acceleration from moon before your periapsis will be thrown away from Earth. You can practice all of it in that trainer challenge: link
Simple, no. Unless you try yourself with and without GA then check the difference, but I suppose it's not what you meant by "calculate".

If you're not afraid by maths, you can have a good estimation by calculation, but it requires calculating the transfers yourself, then the speed at which you encounter a planet to calculate the deflexion angle and deduce your new velocity vector, but it's painful. Or I should rather say, it was painful when all planet orbits were circular. Now with elliptical orbits the maths become ugly if you want to do it by hand. And it's still an approximation.

In the end the only way to get an accurate answer would be to run a simulation. And guess how you can run a simulation? :)
Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do

Last edited:

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
gg that’s impressive o_O

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I could reduce part count to 5 using the Mercury redstone pack capsule, but that feels cheaty