Mission Le Verrier

Part 6.8 : The Mission

21 - Unmanned cargo landers drops their cargo, before flying off and crashing far away.

Screenshot_20200627_112447_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_112630_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_112654_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_112730_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_112755_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

22 - The dropped cargo sheds their protective fairings and begins its mission.

Screenshot_20200627_113747_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_114405_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_114637_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_114728_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

23 - The impactor probe crashes into the surface, generating a seismic event so the sensors can obtain a reading.

Screenshot_20200627_114828_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_114858_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_115043_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

24 - Unmanned Triton aerial vehicle flies high above to obtain readings about Triton's supposed ultra thin atmosphere, before landing back down safely.

Screenshot_20200627_115250_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_115406_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_115857_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_115933_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_115939_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Part 7.1 : Heading Home

1 - After the long mission, the crew on the surface finally prepares to return home, the 4-manned lander lifts-off to rendezvous with the orbiting ship.

Screenshot_20200627_223135_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_223528_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_223603_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

2 - The 4-manned lander gets ditched after transfer, like before, the ship leaves Triton orbit to rendezvous with the main ship.

Screenshot_20200627_230802_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200627_232019_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

3 - With all 12 crew members reunited within the safety of Poseidon, the Triton colony ship & the docking module gets detached to shed unnecessary weight.
(Of course, we have to release the two microsats we're tasked to bring to Neptune by third-party agencies)

Screenshot_20200627_232700_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_024324_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_024353_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

4 - Departure burn to Earth & Earth aerobrake (which didn't went as planned with all the poor alignments and encounters, almost ran out of fuel too.)

Screenshot_20200628_130554_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_134415_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_140622_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

5 - An emergency tanker is needed to provide the spacecrafts with enough fuel to come back down safely.

Screenshot_20200628_200048_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_201112_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_201931_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_202321_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_202632_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_202756_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Part 8 : Setting up the Pluto observatory

1 - Heading off to Pluto

Screenshot_20200628_205641_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_210434_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_210929_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_211739_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_211907_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

2 - Releasing the cargo

Screenshot_20200628_211957_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_212130_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_212239_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_212308_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_212426_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_212445_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

3 - Landing the Pluto observatory and fission reactor. After the reactor has landed successfully, the observatory will detach its protective fairing to reveal its telescope.

Screenshot_20200628_212714_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_212748_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213011_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213039_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213223_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213420_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213456_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213503_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Part 9 : Exploring Pluto's moons

1 - All information allocated by the landers and the observatory will be relayed to Earth via this very orbiter.

Screenshot_20200628_213651_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

2 - Landing on Charon

Screenshot_20200628_213720_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213820_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_213854_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214016_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214307_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214343_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

3 - Landing on Styx

Screenshot_20200628_214424_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214531_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214617_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214721_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg Screenshot_20200628_214752_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I think you successfully completed Horus's challenge.... o_O

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Horus Lupercal So.... what do you think? Your silence is making my report look like a failure.
Far from it man. In my opinion, well worth the wait with the quality produced. Just not had time to go completely through it yet. And certainly not enough to do this justice.
It's that good, even I don't know what to say. Which is an achievement in itself.

I'll probably never do another mission like this again
A shame, if not unexpected. These kinds of long form missions are what you're good at, and there's very few out there that'll go to this depth. Not bad considering it started off as a 'I need a challenge' post last year.
Wish this kind of thing was the norm, rather than the exception.

As Mooncrasher said, it's definitely completed my challenge requirements. I actually hope you're as happy with it as i am, even if it likely has killed your interest in the game.

Not bad considering it started off as a 'I need a challenge' post last year.
Holy shit, come to think of it. This took me nearly half a bloody year to plan, mostly because I had my finals and an internship to deal with. I've also gave up on this mission at some point because I was kinda intimidated by it's complexity, and the amount of time needed to create the "illustrations" you see in my Project Le Verrier plans.

I went back to working on it because I hated unfinished business, plus this mission literally has my name on it.

I actually hope you're as happy with it as i am, even if it likely has killed your interest in the game.
I love this game, but this mission was an absolute chore to carry out. Trying to maneuver ships at 5 fps, which makes time warp impossible because simply pressing any button will lead the game to hang for at least 2 minutes as it tries to figure out what the fuck is going on. Same story with trying to undock or dock anything.

Sometimes, save files won't load at all and will leave you at "loading..." forcing you to restart the game, pressing "resume game" would lead the game to crash due to the sheer amount of spaceworthy bullshit it has to load, so the only way out is "build new rocket", and from the launch pad, you switch to the vehicle you were last working on.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Holy shit, come to think of it. This took me nearly half a bloody year to plan, mostly because I had my finals and an internship to deal with
Yeah man, I remember being sat outside Cardiffs st David's shopping centre looking for the pdf that started it all.

I've also gave up on this mission at some point because I was kinda intimidated by it's complexity, and the amount of time needed to create the "illustrations" you see in my Project Le Verrier plans
Aye, and that's what made it unique. Wasn't just going to be 'land on a place and come back' cos anyone can do that. Had to create something that'd actually challenge you.

this mission literally has my name on it.
Ha, pretty damn much

I love this game, but this mission was an absolute chore to carry out. Trying to maneuver ships at 5 fps, which makes time warp impossible because simply pressing any button will lead the game to hang for at least 2 minutes as it tries to figure out what the fuck is going on. Same story with trying to undock or dock anything.

Sometimes, save files won't load at all and will leave you at "loading..." forcing you to restart the game, pressing "resume game" would lead the game to crash due to the sheer amount of spaceworthy bullshit it has to load, so the only way out is "build new rocket", and from the launch pad, you switch to the vehicle you were last working on.
I know the feeling. 39A isn't as big, but the part count is ridiculous and loading/ spawning it can take several minutes. You're working on something that is what, a mile long? My tablet is heating up just thinking about rendering that for a screenshot, never mind a 1 hour burn to the gas giants.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Finally getting the time and interweb to get my nose into this detail dude, sorry for the delay man.

First thing to be launched is the TUG, it will be very important to aid in the orbital assembly of this mothership
All good projects need a good assembly drone. Like how you're using them as well to push from parking into assembly, especially pieces without control sections themselves.

Communications section
I like how this looks as well. Multiple smaller short range on the 'planet side' and longer range, large dish on the deep space side.

Wooo, extending crew tube. Lots of time for these.

Artificial gravity section
2D realism.

Sub-ship docking head and R&C module copulas
Very smart how you've got the sub-ship docking head packed in there, and this
Docking of both sub-ships to Poseidon
is an awesome piece of mirrored engineering.

Triton colony ship crew section
Triton Surface Laboratory
Triton Surface Habitation
Neptunian moons exploration ship crew section

Not to enforce my rules on things, but these should be the industry SFS standard for manned long term crew quarters.

Cargo spine launch and assembly
I've seen enough genius to know where this is going...

Fitting all pods into their respective slots
Called it. And that small, totally useless from a game stand-point but totally realistic in the real world additional bracing and docking hold on the spine side of the cargo pods to increase its structural rigidity.

Triton Sub-ship main fuel tank
Triton Sub-ship nuclear electric propulsion stage, rendezvous and final assembly with the ship.
Exploration ship main fuel tank
Exploration ship main propulsion
The shape on the nuclear/electric engine.

Ion engine stack, ten is required
Fission reactor stack, ten is required
Mission commander: How many ion engines is it fitted with?
Cosmo: yes.

That must've take an age to turn on and check 720 ion engines. And disconnect all those disposable RCS modules

Propulsion stack fuel tank racks & fuel tanks (four sets of tanks are needed)
Assembling Earth Injection Burn fuel tanks
Delivering Earth departure fuel rack & docking to EIB fuel rack
Delivering Earth departure fuel tanks (ten sets of tanks are needed)

When you can't make a staged interplanetary expedition vehicle, use carefully measured drop tanks. Brilliant idea.

Topping up the fuel tanks (four top ups required)
Not gonna lie, but I want this refuellers babies. You coulda gone with a 200t mega-tanker, but went with craft no bigger than needed, but with enough aesthetics to make it more than just a tube with docking ports around it.
Imitation is the finest form of flattery, and although I don't copy much, this will be a feature of future 2D and 3D missions if you don't mind dude?

Sending the probes into Neptune
The little details, especially the data collection arm.

Neptune unmanned hypersonic aircraft (spoilers: he's not coming bacc)
Sending the hypersonic aircraft into Neptune (Change of mission plan, this vehicle will fly about Neptune's atmosphere and transmit data to the orbiter flying above, it's not coming back.)
It's a shame drag is so fucked in 1.4.

With those out of the way, we can start exploring Neptune's moons, starting off with Thalassa. (The ship will release one orbiter for every moon, which will be tasked with mapping the body, followed by a manned landing.)
Rendezvous with the ship and transfer to Larissa
Transfer to Proteus & capture
Transfer to Nereid & Capture
I love the lander design. It's enough LEM to look cool, but not too much to be another Apollo copy. Good idea re-using and re-fuelling it between each visit, simplifies everything immensely

Once landed, the ship will fire explosive charges onto the surface to induce seismic vibrations, which will be picked up by the sensors equipped by the lander.
The first practical application of orbitally deployed weapons in SFS history. Change my mind.

This must've looked like the Klendathu drop from Starship Troopers.
[Desire to kill bugs intensifies]

Unmanned cargo landers drops their cargo, before flying off and crashing far away.
The dropped cargo sheds their protective fairings and begins its mission.
The impactor probe crashes into the surface, generating a seismic event so the sensors can obtain a reading.
Unmanned Triton aerial vehicle flies high above to obtain readings about Triton's supposed ultra thin atmosphere, before landing back down safely.
Realistic sensor design and deployment methods. These, the moon packages and the Neptune atmosphere probe/unmanned hypersonic drone are exactly the point of the entire challenge.

Some sweet flying there to bring it back down onto the base as well man.

the 4-manned lander lifts-off to rendezvous with the orbiting ship.
Ha, that lander base separation though...

(Of course, we have to release the two microsats we're tasked to bring to Neptune by third-party agencies)
Taking contracts as well Cosmo?

Setting up the Pluto observatory
Landing the Pluto observatory and fission reactor. After the reactor has landed successfully, the observatory will detach its protective fairing to reveal its telescope.
Probably the best part of this entire mission. Not cos you needed to go to Pluto, but just simply cos you could. And the pack job as well is (as usual) really well thought out.

All information allocated by the landers and the observatory will be relayed to Earth via this very orbiter.
Ha, that Voyager though...

Conclusion. Styx is really flat...

Inspection crew launch, to perform inspections on the completed Poseidon section.
One more feature the laboratory module on Poseidon has is a state-of-the-art workshop equipped with the latest additive manufacturing machines, chemical synthesis booth and electronics assembly bench, allowing the crew to fabricate nearly any spare part they require for ship repair.

This comes in convenience with an EVA tube located on the same module which can support up to 2 EVA operators at once, this feature allows the crew to quickly fabricate the part and conveniently hand it to a pair of suited up engineers.

Since the ship is almost a kilometer long, the EVA crew will not be crawling their way all across, they will have a motorized puller that will pull the astronauts to any length of the ship they require to get a repair or inspection job done.
Heat/Engine glare shield
All of these are exactly why I never put any restrictions on you. Absolute realism, even on things that almost no-one else would consider. Little things like 'of course the ship will need to be externally checked before departure. And how are those engineers going to get around the exterior of a 1km long ship? And if they find problems, how are they going to fix them?'.

I've always had a high opinion of your work, but this has gone waaaay past my expectations into 'hory sheeet' territory. My only regret is I can't articulate how impressed I am with this that'd justify the sheer man-hours you've poured in since September.
That being said, a mission well done Magos Explorator

Very smart how you've got the sub-ship docking head packed in there
Well I used to work as a cashier before, and that job needs some pretty clever ways to pack groceries efficiently. Maybe that contributed too.

It's a shame drag is so fucked in 1.4.
We've got one KIA in this mission then :(

Ha, that Voyager though...
Actually I'm ripping off New Horizon's design.

Taking contracts as well Cosmo?
No doubt that scientists from other unrelated agencies would like some science done on Neptune as well, so hitchhikers would be inevitable. I'm not a marketing expert, but I think catching a ride on Poseidon would be far cheaper than getting there yourself.

Looking at how enormous the ship is, a 2 ton science package would be pocket change and do no harm to its final available delta V.

Not cos you needed to go to Pluto, but just simply cos you could.
Actually, I felt that we should. Neptune is literally right next to Pluto, it would be an absolute shame if we didn't pay him some respect while we're at it.

Also I've already gone this far, wouldn't hurt if I went the extra mile.

Not gonna lie, but I want this refuellers babies. You coulda gone with a 200t mega-tanker, but went with craft no bigger than needed, but with enough aesthetics to make it more than just a tube with docking ports around it.
Imitation is the finest form of flattery, and although I don't copy much, this will be a feature of future 2D and 3D missions if you don't mind dude?
A mega tanker would pose too much of a risk to the launch site in case of a black zone event failure, not that it matters much because SFS pads are invulnerable, just for the sake of realism.

The design of the tanker i am using is inspired from ESA's ATV, but instead of transferring goods, its a tanker. About "copying" the design, the picture I was referring to didn't mind if I was copying from it, so I shouldn't mind either.

I love the lander design. It's enough LEM to look cool, but not too much to be another Apollo copy. Good idea re-using and re-fuelling it between each visit, simplifies everything immensely
Oh that lander was actually a heavily modified inspiration of the Soviet LK lander (so is the larger 4-manned version used on Triton, the detaching landing gear is a dead give-away), but its operation is inspired from the lessons learnt by the American lunar expeditions.

That cylinder with the docking port you see at the bottom there is an airlock where the two astronauts will store their samples and EVA suits, that compartment is separated from the command section above by a hatch.

The reason for this separation is to prevent the returning explorers from contaminating the entire vessel, this is achieved by storing all their "external use" equipment and samples there. As a further precaution, the airlock compartment will contain cleaning equipment the crew can use to clean themselves and their gear with, along with an air filtration system to clear out whatever that's left.

The same features can be found on the all other manned landers, for they are mandatory.

I mean look at the Apollo crew, they look like they've crawled back from a goddamn warzone.

1595658747055.png

That must've take an age to turn on and check 720 ion engines. And disconnect all those disposable RCS modules
At the rate that I was sweating, I bet the ISS crew can use me as a fucking water source.

Some sweet flying there to bring it back down onto the base as well man.
It was really good to fly, nimble with controllable acceleration.

It'll be horrendously resource intensive scaled up to IRIS levels though.
Ha! Says the man who made Komodo!

Since I have the AMLLV now, and not that Yee Yee ass piece of crap SLS, I can reduce the number of assembly launches drastically, and it's a single unit, so doesn't need any silly pad assemblies.

The life support research can be recycled, and you're right, only problems are re-optimising the Dv for every single propulsion stage.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ha! Says the man who made Komodo!

Since I have the AMLLV now, and not that Yee Yee ass piece of crap SLS, I can reduce the number of assembly launches drastically, and it's a single unit, so doesn't need any silly pad assemblies.

The life support research can be recycled, and you're right, only problems are re-optimising the Dv for every single propulsion stage.
I mean yeah, I could deliver the whole lot single lift with a Komodo. I reckon it could put a fair bit of mass to IRIS LEO with a 4th stage, but that isn't the way you do things. If your going for a high level of realism, my quarter million ton launcher isn't going to be allowed to play.
In fact, what is the ΔV cost to LEO in IRIS? Has anyone worked that out yet? I know the orbital velocity is around 3800m/s but aero works differently in 1.5 to 1.4 and something as large as Komodo tends to ignore even broken drag physics

The AMLLV is a damn fine shout. Especially with reducing assembly time pre-launch. Which is the most time consuming part, hands down.

Aye, you'd have to scale up your requirements of fuel, power and crew consumables for the much increased transit time, added to the multiplied ΔV requirements. It's going to need a prodigious amount of mass, especially if we're going direct burn aswell.
Drive is going have to be heavily electric as well. Or a lot of dumpable fuel cells...

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Additional: It's designed with 4050m/s, 3 stages at 26,400 tons payload.
Without additional sections and assuming 6,500m/s to LEO, I could do 7,000tons of usable payload capacity (as in, not including the 4th stage, which would be another...2,200tons) under IRIS conditions single launch.

5,000m/s would be 12kt usable payload and 4500m/s is 18kt and neither would need the 4th stage.

The AMLLV is a damn fine shout. Especially with reducing assembly time pre-launch. Which is the most time consuming part, hands down.
I guess Sea Dragon wasn't the largest launch vehicle on paper after all!

From the looks of it, AMLLV looks far more expensive compared to SD, but is compensated by being able to carry far more in terms of volume and mass.

There is actually a declassified pdf report that details the total cost of the AMLLV program, but I'm too busy to run the whole thing through.

Aye, you'd have to scale up your requirements of fuel, power and crew consumables for the much increased transit time
Oh actually Project Le Verrier's crew consumables are designed to last real solar system time, so it's research is flexible for an IRIS adaptation.

Drive is going have to be heavily electric as well. Or a lot of dumpable fuel cells.
Ah this scenario is special, because the ion engine in 1.5 is completely broken, I'll have to research a propulsion drive that fits it's ludicrously overpowered performance.

Winchell Chung's site is by best bet.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
From the looks of it, AMLLV looks far more expensive compared to SD, but is compensated by being able to carry far more in terms of volume and mass.

There is actually a declassified pdf report that details the total cost of the AMLLV program, but I'm too busy to run the whole thing through
Yeah. Sea Dragon probably would've been cheaper on a unit for unit flight cost than Saturn V or SLS became. Whereas AMLLV would probably cos single unit what the entirety of the Constellation, Ares and SLS/Orion programme combined cost.

Oh actually Project Le Verrier's crew consumables are designed to last real solar system time, so it's research is flexible for an IRIS adaptation
Ahh yes, you planned it for 1:1 time frames anyway didn't you.

Ah this scenario is special, because the ion engine in 1.5 is completely broken, I'll have to research a propulsion drive that fits it's ludicrously overpowered performance
Yes, it really is. 1200second impulse and even more thrust than before. Not to mention the total lack of power requirements as well.
Probably half the engines in Scott Manleys future propulsion video would fit the bill if you could model them correctly.

Yes, it really is. 1200second impulse and even more thrust than before. Not to mention the total lack of power requirements as well.
Probably half the engines in Scott Manleys future propulsion video would fit the bill if you could model them correctly
I've almost forgotten about Scott's future engines video!

Ahh yes, you planned it for 1:1 time frames anyway didn't you.
I was roleplaying too hard.

Aye, you'd have to scale up your requirements of fuel, power and crew consumables for the much increased transit time, added to the multiplied ΔV requirements. It's going to need a prodigious amount of mass, especially if we're going direct burn aswell.
Drive is going have to be heavily electric as well. Or a lot of dumpable fuel cells...
I've looked up the delta V needed to go to Neptune, and if what Altair says is right, a direct transfer will require at least 4125m/s of delta V.

Compared to last time... good thing I kept the mission parameters note:
Dv.png

that's like... nearly three times more delta V needed than before! So in total I need 8250m/s of delta V for a round trip. Goddamn the broken ion engine might actually come in handy.