Modern Warship Design 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
So Ive been gone for awhile (just been really busy). But Ive stayed active and Ive seen some of the newest warship designs. They are nice but I feel like they are lacking in some areas.

The first rule of warship design is functionality over looks, that means if you need to make your ship a flying brick to make it functional do so (except it isnt that great of a design I will explain why later). It will payoff in combat if you follow this first rule.

The first thing I will discuss is armor design as it is one of the only major things that people are hitting just right. For starters the materials you choose at the begginging are very important to protecting the main systems of the ship (I.E. fuel tanks, probe cores, engines, etc.). So you have a few choices of armor design heres a few I have come up with but there is many many more designs.
Screenshot_20190427-091234.png

Starting from the left to the right. This first armor design is quite good for protection but is only good for flat surfices (most of them are). Also I choose solar panels for their indestructability and structural parts for their lightweight and compactness. The second to left is the cheapest/ simpliest design 2nd in from the right is the design I use as it allows for space for RCS and allows for transistions from flat to angled. Now on the far right is a example of multi-layered armor which is very expensive and heavy.

Next part is armor placement. This is where I see most people go wrong they dont have full coverage of the main components, let alone the entire ship. One of the biggest flaws Ive seen of almost all ship designs is the exposure of the engines. Which not only open them up to fire but with some good shooting allows for the destruction of the fuel tanks leaving you dead in the water. A simple barrier would reduce most if not all risk.

Here is a part of one of ships for reference:
Screenshot_20190215-094942.png

As you can see I used multiple layers with different designs and i kept the main components on the inside.

I will be following this up with weapon design and layouts, as well as engine systems and layouts.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
That engine barrier is actually quite useless from the looks of it. Just knock the barrier off in the first shot and then fire again, hitting the engine.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
This is a complete ship of mine. The docking ports on the sides are for RCS launchers and the 2 titans in the middle are engines for missles
Screenshot_20190427-102646.png

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
And you must learn ive done far better without SE then with it and I rather not be apart of any facist faction
I must learn? You learned from me, you’ve done better? I would disagree.
And racist faction? Now that’s being plain rude

Status
Not open for further replies.