Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
i'm in the process rebuilding my favourite rocket from
1.35 in 1.5
This is Lt. Snakestrike's thread about his favourite past projects, please create your own thread if you want to show your rocket.

T

The Dark in the Light

Lt. Snakestrike
Man, it's bloody great to see all of this. I remember the days of when I joined the Kronian League and was amazed at everything, and still am...

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Welp, now's about time we got to my Legacy: Saturn. I've spent more time around the ringed planet than most have spent in earth orbit.
So far I haven't made much progress on Titan other than the probe I'm using to scout it out. I've been working on getting some new tech put together for land bases in the system as well as rockets to get the things there. So far though, not much, but I'm beginning preparations to send my IPS to Titan (currently unmanned, but will house astronauts who'll take a direct route to get there rather than waiting for gravity assists)

It just received a fuel tanker, and is beginning final preparations to depart.
View attachment 12002
Still need to jettison one of the Fireworks (which was an earlier model) and the fuel ship, but other than that it's getting close to departure.
This thread wad my general thread to post pretty much all of my development on that didn't go in a separate thread. There are some jumps in continuity, as this thread was happening simultaneously with several different factions threads, with Starmaker's thread being the first.

Here I first flew IPE Grand Unbound to Saturn, and I also unveiled The Tsar Launch System, which would be my go-to heavy lifter all the way till 1.5. I didn't design her iteratively like the S-H Fireball, but instead did the calculations on paper first to make sure I had the right Delta-V and TWR. And it really showed. I wouldn't change the rocket until I eventually had figured out some upgrades to make it even better. More on that later though.

Screenshot_2019-02-24-19-37-57.png

Screenshot_2019-02-24-19-57-10.png

Screenshot_2019-01-26-23-46-32.png

And when I say heavy lifter, I mean it. This rocket could consistently launch 1.2 KT into orbit. Up to 1.6 KT even if the payload contributed to orbit.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
More from the Saturn Thread:
Screenshot_2019-03-14-12-15-19.png

Screenshot_2019-03-14-17-53-28.png

Screenshot_2019-03-15-20-29-02.png

Screenshot_2019-03-16-19-27-42.png

Screenshot_2019-03-17-00-28-02.png

As Horus Stated, with the Radiant and the Tsar using the Station now, "You're gonna need a bigger boat."
So, I started building a bigger boat. The old station pieces were steadily removed and replaced with new components.

Screenshot_2019-03-18-22-06-50.png

Next up, the launch of SCS Radiant's Sister ship, SCS Tenebrous. This was the point where my SCS differentiated themselves from TtTOtW's shuttles.
Screenshot_2019-03-20-00-04-53.png

The upgrades I made was to add an ion drive to my SCS shuttles, and the power production to support it. I also re-added the VTOL engines, which wasn't added to the STS until after Radiant was created.
Screenshot_2019-03-23-16-57-16.png

Screenshot_2019-03-23-21-19-13.png

Loading up Radiant with more old station parts to be recovered on the ground.
Screenshot_2019-03-23-23-45-45.png

Screenshot_2019-03-24-16-07-52.png

Screenshot_2019-03-24-21-28-54.png

Now PI is looking much more modern.
Screenshot_2019-03-24-21-44-28.png

Screenshot_2019-03-24-22-38-02.png

Now SCS Radiant is upgraded as well. These vehicles were all incredible for me. TtTOtW never really liked running ions on his shuttles, but I never could've done the things I did with these shuttles without them.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
This is amazing. I’m glad someone has actually taken the time to bring back some good quality threads. These threads are all golden pieces to this forum and this community, and is great that the new 1.5 players can visit them, so they can see this forum’s strength and potential. Thank you, Lt. Snakestrike

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Welp, now's about time we got to my Legacy: Saturn. I've spent more time around the ringed planet than most have spent in earth orbit.

This thread wad my general thread to post pretty much all of my development on that didn't go in a separate thread. There are some jumps in continuity, as this thread was happening simultaneously with several different factions threads, with Starmaker's thread being the first.

Here I first flew IPE Grand Unbound to Saturn, and I also unveiled The Tsar Launch System, which would be my go-to heavy lifter all the way till 1.5. I didn't design her iteratively like the S-H Fireball, but instead did the calculations on paper first to make sure I had the right Delta-V and TWR. And it really showed. I wouldn't change the rocket until I eventually had figured out some upgrades to make it even better. More on that later though.

View attachment 61103
View attachment 61104
View attachment 61105
And when I say heavy lifter, I mean it. This rocket could consistently launch 1.2 KT into orbit. Up to 1.6 KT even if the payload contributed to orbit.
yeah it's pretty powerful

T

The Dark in the Light

This is amazing. I’m glad someone has actually taken the time to bring back some good quality threads. These threads are all golden pieces to this forum and this community, and is great that the new 1.5 players can visit them, so they can see this forum’s strength and potential. Thank you, Lt. Snakestrike
I couldn't agree more. Nothing can describe how amazing all of this is.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
We won't be able to do any of these crazy builds like we did in the past until Stef implements an inside of fairings view for us to activate stuff like docking ports and engines inside fairings again. It'd also let us deal with inner fuel tanks better, which'd remove some the restrictions we had for fuel transfer in 1.4

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Here's the last major thread involving the SCS that I have. After this it'll diversify again.
Give me a mission that you are unsure if the SCS can do it. I'll unveil a new rendition, my own personal shuttle The SCS Amber Δ4.1
Basically, TtTOtW wanted to test the limits of the SCS, so he asked all of us for challenges.

Screenshot_20190307-185512.png

He certainly put those fuel tanks to use.

Screenshot_20190307-215153.png

First was SCS Tekna, Danny Batten's shuttle.
Tekna's Challenge (made by Danny Batten): Moon to Earth to Mars to Earth. Land on Moon and Earth.

Screenshot_20190311-000907.png

Second challenge was done by SCS Radiant (just before her upgrade).
Radiant's Challenge (made by myself): 200 tons to Uranus and return without refuel.

Screenshot_20190312-092359.png

Third challenge was done by SCS Senna, GuHP20's shuttle.
Senna's Challenge (made by Altaïr):
I've landed on Mercury recently but I forgot to bring some solar cream. The Sun hits really hard here! Could your shuttle land there to bring me some?
After that I've a few post cards I'd like to send but there's no post office on Mercury, so if you could bring them back to Earth with your shuttle it would be great! (I literally copy/pasted this)

Screenshot_20190501-033754.png

Fourth was SCS Amber, TtTOtW's shuttle.
Amber's Challenge (TtTOtW's personal goal): Complete the Grand Tour. Flybys of Every Single Planet and Moon in the Full Game.
She completed this, and is now SCS Grand Amber.
(Grand is a title we give to ships that have made the grand tour. It's quite the accomplishment for any multi-purpose vessel.)

Screenshot_20190316-051527.png

Last of all was SCS Gecko, Gecko Gekkota's shuttle.
Gecko's Challenge (also made by Danny Batten): Mars and back, and then back to Mars and back, and if that’s not enough, one more time for luck.
The shuttle impressively made 2 trips without refuelling.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
There were other challenges too, but several either just didn't make sense, or they were insane (Looking at you Dorian...)

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Blazer compiled a lot of his 1.4 projects here.
Okay, as you guys probably know, I’ve been building a lot of surface bases these days, so I’ve though to create a thread where I post them all, not only to showcase the bases themselves, but to expose my current colonization schema, before moving on to another planet. Don’t worry, I ‘ll make this thread as short as possible.

So, let’s get started:

Earth:
• International Space Station (ISS): The oldest of my orbital stations, and the one that I feel proud the most. Its in a 400 km height perfectly circular orbit. Built with Base Game only. It houses 7 people.
View attachment 26112

Moon:
• Tranquility Station: A small lunar research station made with base game parts only. Its in a 15 km perfect circular orbit. Used as a headquarters for the lunar colonization team. It houses 5 people.
View attachment 26114

• Armstrong Base: My first ever lunar base. Built originally with Base Game only, then expanded recently with new DLC modules to increase its crew capacity and production. Its main objective its research. Its designed for 20 people.
View attachment 26113

• Aldrin Base: Winner of a medal in the SFS Original Design Contest. Its designed only for 10 people. The outward domes are greenhouses, while the inner ones were converted into crew habitats. At this day, this is may only pure Base Game surface colony on the game (All the others have been upgraded with DLC parts).
View attachment 26115

• Collins Base: My last lunar base. Keeps only some few modules from the original Base Game design. It is now a mega base, designed for 20 people, between scientists and colonists. It was upgraded recently with DLC parts, just like the Armstrong Base.
View attachment 26116

That concludes our Earth Tour. We also have the Earth-Moon satellite network, which I will proximately relocate with Horus’ calculated resonant orbits.

Mars:
• Sagan Spaceport: Winner of a medal in the SFS Original Design Contest. Built with Base Game only. It is the headquarters of the Martian colonization and a gateway to the outer planets. It’s in a 150 km height circular orbit. Its designed for 15 people. I feel really proud of this station. Its is my best interplanetary station.
View attachment 26117

• Base 01 Mars – Curiosity: The first of my modern Mars Bases, located on the top of the Olympus Mons. It is the highest surface base on the solar system (in my game). It is designed for 15 people.
View attachment 26118

• Base 02 Phobos – Spirit: Originally designed as a Phobos mobile base (concept that didn’t work, by the way). It houses Ion probes designed to operate in the low gravity of Phobos, with over 5000 m/s of delta V. It is designed for 20 people.
View attachment 26119

• Base 03 Deimos – Opportunity: Designed to house a large crew of 15 people on the low gravity and anaerobic environment of Deimos. Houses only 1 probe. It was a dual launch base, launched with the EC6, brought to Deimos with the SCV.
View attachment 26120

• Base 04 Mars – Sojourner: It is a single launch Mars Base, brought here with the EC6. It houses a crew of 25 people, and it is the biggest of my Mars Bases. Totally independent from the rest of the world, it is capable to produce food for a larger population and to supply any of the other bases in case of an emergency. It has a nuclear reactor (stored in the structure to the right of the garage), which makes it capable to survive the large Martian sandstorms.
View attachment 26121

• Base 05 Mars – Viking: Is also a single launch Mars Base, and the last of my permanent settlements on the Red Planet. Designed for a crew of 25 people that came here with the base. An escape vehicle will be added soon. Creates a lot of lag…
View attachment 26122

All that’s left to show is the Martian Satellite Network, which I won’t show on this post because I need to move them to resonant orbits.

Well, that’s it. That’s pretty much I have to show. No comes the other part of this thread:

I have done with the Moon and Mars… where should I go next?

There are two choices: Venus and Jupiter (Europa). I honestly can’t decide between these two targets, cause honestly Venus is my favorite planet, but Europa is my favorite moon (I’m not saying they are the best). They both will present their own challenges, and I’m sure they both will entertain me and keep me busy for a while. So, please vote on the poll above.

That’s all. Thank you for reading till the end :)
People who can make large surface bases and make them look good always have my admiration.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Anyway, I am aware that this is not my thread, but I’d like to make an addition, if that’s not too much of an issue.

The Grand Tour!

Here’s the Grand Tour, by Altaïr. As far as I’m aware he is the only player in the SFS community who has ever made this, single launch, single build screen, no orbital/launchpad assembly, no refueling.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Danny Batten is probably best known for his Landing Gear, but he also holds the record for highest payload to LEO (that madman launched 30 Kilotons to orbit a couple years ago, and I doubt anyone's taken the time to beat him). One day though, he started building this, and honestly, such an industrial build is befitting of such a man.
I’ve been putting this off for a while so let’s get in to it.
I want to build a massive Lunar station, but instead of sending each individual part to the moon, I’ll be sending it to LEO, then I’ll push it to the Moon.
So the first part will be the core! And a energy beam
Hehe this kinda looks like the Oriental Pearl Tower in China View attachment 18264 anyway god this thing is too overpowered for this View attachment 18266 View attachment 18267 right the next thing will be the permanent fuel reserve.
BC08EC2D-74F5-4587-A487-1C160B3F456A.png

5BE20FD2-5311-461B-AEE9-598ACA85F6AF.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
but he also holds the record for highest payload to LEO (that madman launched 30 Kilotons to orbit a couple years ago, and I doubt anyone's taken the time to beat him
ha, are you sure about that...

Here’s the Grand Tour, by Altaïr. As far as I’m aware he is the only player in the SFS community who has ever made this, single launch, single build screen, no orbital/launchpad assembly, no refueling.
He also holds the 1.35 Grand Tour speed run record as well.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
And no ion engine! :p
It's been long I haven't made something that crazy by the way.

that madman launched 30 Kilotons to orbit a couple years ago
WHAAAT?! :eek:

I'm a small player with my SSSLS in comparison.