My First Moon Rocket (Any Planet?)

TCK

Registered
Hello fellow community members!

I appreciate your showed interest in selecting this thread to view. I have just recently joined this community for several reasons, but today I wanted to share my very first Moon Rocket.

It is based off of Saturn V, the Rocket used on almost every Apollo mission to go to the Moon and back. It has 2 engine stages, and contains a Lunar Module (LEM), Service Module, and Command Module. The Service Module is hidden inside the Rocket initially but can be detached during connection of the LEM and Service/Command Module. The Service/Command modules are initially together, but for re-entry can be detached.

The Rocket itself doesn’t look exactly like Saturn V, but is very similar. The only thing I didn’t put much detail into was the LEM, due to it having to be very compact to fit into the Rocket.

Docking/connecting the LEM to the Service/Command Module once in space is a bit harder than the task is on Saturn V, but is still easy for experienced people. The Rocket itself doesn’t have any RCS, but the LEM and Service/Command modules do and can be used once they are deployed.

The Rocket works great, however due to engines clipping, “Part Clipping” and “No Heat Damage” must be enabled. “Infinite Fuel” is also required.

Below are two images showing the Rocket.
84FDA33A-E74E-4B7D-98F0-6FF735FF06D5.png

This Rocket can theoretically travel to any other planet aswell since “Infinite Fuel” is required.

Thank you for reading and viewing this thread! Attached is the download link for this Rocket, enjoy!

*How To Download*
Download the zip file and extract it onto your device. Find the Spaceflight Simulator files and move the Rockets folder into the following path:
Spaceflight Simulator/Saving/Blueprints
This should work on IOS and Computer. That’s all!

Made on IOS.

Attachments

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hello fellow community members!

I appreciate your showed interest in selecting this thread to view. I have just recently joined this community for several reasons, but today I wanted to share my very first Moon Rocket.

It is based off of Saturn V, the Rocket used on almost every Apollo mission to go to the Moon and back. It has 2 engine stages, and contains a Lunar Module (LEM), Service Module, and Command Module. The Service Module is hidden inside the Rocket initially but can be detached during connection of the LEM and Service/Command Module. The Service/Command modules are initially together, but for re-entry can be detached.

The Rocket itself doesn’t look exactly like Saturn V, but is very similar. The only thing I didn’t put much detail into was the LEM, due to it having to be very compact to fit into the Rocket.

Docking/connecting the LEM to the Service/Command Module once in space is a bit harder than the task is on Saturn V, but is still easy for experienced people. The Rocket itself doesn’t have any RCS, but the LEM and Service/Command modules do and can be used once they are deployed.

The Rocket works great, however due to engines clipping, “Part Clipping” and “No Heat Damage” must be enabled. “Infinite Fuel” is also required.

Below are two images showing the Rocket.
View attachment 84782
This Rocket can theoretically travel to any other planet aswell since “Infinite Fuel” is required.

Thank you for reading and viewing this thread! Attached is the download link for this Rocket, enjoy!

*How To Download*
Download the zip file and extract it onto your device. Find the Spaceflight Simulator files and move the Rockets folder into the following path:
Spaceflight Simulator/Saving/Blueprints
This should work on IOS and Computer. That’s all!

Made on IOS.
I dont see why you would need to cheat here, extending tanks and modifying stages should be enough.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hi and welcome to the forum TCK :)

Nice rocket, but it can be improved so that you don't need the cheats. Especially "infinite fuel", as using this one means you can just fly a single small stage to everywhere, you don't even need a big rocket.

First thing, have a look at your TWR (the thrust to weight ratio): 2.28. It's huge! You need it to be greater than 1 to be able to lift off, but ideally it should be between 1.2 and 1.6. Having a TWR that high means you could send more mass with the same power.

So I suggest that you simply remove one of the Titan engines. Now you have enough width to place the 3 remaining engines without clipping them. Your TWR is still high enough and you don't need "Part clipping" and "No heat" anymore.

Then add some fuel to your first stage: as is it's quite short and won't last much. Your thrust is 1200 tons with 3 engines, and your rocket weighs 700 tons, you can go up to 1000 tons. But don't add directly 300 tons of fuel to the 1st stage, keep some margin for the upper stages!

Regarding the second stage, what's wrong is clearly the engine choice: the Titan is very good for the first stage, but it consumes a lot of fuel. For the upper stages it's better to use the Valiant or the Frontier engines. They have less thrust but are far more durable. For your second stage you would need at least 3 Frontier engines.

With those modifications, you should normally be able to reach orbit with just the first two stages. And with what remains of your launcher you have largely enough capacity to go to the Moon and come back: you don't need infinite fuel anymore!

Oh, one more thing, don't forget to add a heat shield to your capsule if you want to come back safe and sound :)

TCK

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum TCK :)

Nice rocket, but it can be improved so that you don't need the cheats. Especially "infinite fuel", as using this one means you can just fly a single small stage to everywhere, you don't even need a big rocket.

First thing, have a look at your TWR (the thrust to weight ratio): 2.28. It's huge! You need it to be greater than 1 to be able to lift off, but ideally it should be between 1.2 and 1.6. Having a TWR that high means you could send more mass with the same power.

So I suggest that you simply remove one of the Titan engines. Now you have enough width to place the 3 remaining engines without clipping them. Your TWR is still high enough and you don't need "Part clipping" and "No heat" anymore.

Then add some fuel to your first stage: as is it's quite short and won't last much. Your thrust is 1200 tons with 3 engines, and your rocket weighs 700 tons, you can go up to 1000 tons. But don't add directly 300 tons of fuel to the 1st stage, keep some margin for the upper stages!

Regarding the second stage, what's wrong is clearly the engine choice: the Titan is very good for the first stage, but it consumes a lot of fuel. For the upper stages it's better to use the Valiant or the Frontier engines. They have less thrust but are far more durable. For your second stage you would need at least 3 Frontier engines.

With those modifications, you should normally be able to reach orbit with just the first two stages. And with what remains of your launcher you have largely enough capacity to go to the Moon and come back: you don't need infinite fuel anymore!

Oh, one more thing, don't forget to add a heat shield to your capsule if you want to come back safe and sound :)
Thank you so much! I followed some of the advice you gave me, specifically the advice about getting rid of one of the engines. This fixed “Part Clipping” and “No Heat” like you said. Then, I added some other things to fix ”Infinite Fuel” and it can work very very good, here is V2.

Attachments

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thank you so much! I followed some of the advice you gave me, specifically the advice about getting rid of one of the engines. This fixed “Part Clipping” and “No Heat” like you said. Then, I added some other things to fix ”Infinite Fuel” and it can work very very good, here is V2.
Good to hear!

Maybe attach a pic to show us the result? :)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yep, Cresign is right, with Frontier engines on the second stage your ship will be more efficient.