My new rocket

dezway

Registered
So I realized that my old rocket, while very powerful, was very inefficient.

I decided that instead of tweaking the old rocket, I'd just make a new one.

Very efficient rocket.

I need a name, preferably something related to birds. I was going to name it "Albatross" but I'm unsure about that.

@Altaïr What do you think?
Screenshot_2018-12-15-20-02-18.png
Screenshot_2018-12-15-20-02-41.png

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
You may want to change the engines on the second and third stages. One Frontier on both the second and third stages should do. The Titan Engine is this game's equivalent to the Rocketdyne F1 Engine, which you don't want to be using for a second stage unless it's a very heavy rocket.

dezway

Registered
You may want to change the engines on the second and third stages. One Frontier on both the second and third stages should do.
Tried a frontier on the second stage, didn't work too well. Thought that a frontier on the third stage would be a bit overkill but I'll try it.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And could also sack the other Titan on stage one as well, have one central and chuck a frontier either side of it. Place some aero cones above them to improve its efficiency

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
So I realized that my old rocket, while very powerful, was very inefficient.

I decided that instead of tweaking the old rocket, I'd just make a new one.

Very efficient rocket.

I need a name, preferably something related to birds. I was going to name it "Albatross" but I'm unsure about that.

@Altaïr What do you think? View attachment 10669 View attachment 10670
This is my main Heavy lift rocket you can remove the 3rd stage if needed for larger payloads
Screenshot_20181215-175808.png

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I tried your rocket @dezway, and I found it pretty interesting. What's unusual is that your second stage actually acts as a first stage (your rocket isn't fast enough when the first stage is empty, so you still need a powerful engine). That works but this has a drawback: those engines are very heavy (10 tons each). Having an extra Titan for your second stage adds 10 tons of dry mass to your rocket. On the other hand this allows you to alleviate your rocket quite early, so this partly compensates. But in the end I don't think it's worth it.

Personally I would rather use 2 stages, like this:
Screenshot_20181216-035535_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
In flight, here is the situation once my first stage is empty:
Screenshot_20181216-033034_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Now my ship is fast enough, the less powerful (but more efficient) engine from the second stage is better for the job. In the end, I reach orbit with a lot of fuel left in the second stage:
Screenshot_20181216-033229_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Now, splitting the second stage into 2 stages would be even better, so that you can jettison some dead weight once you reach orbit :)

Another possibility closer to your design is that rocket:
Screenshot_20181216-041930_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20181216-041937_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I made the first stage tougher, I shortened the second stage to compensate (so that it has the same fuel quantity as yours), and I put 2 Frontier engines. They are heavier than a single Titan engine, but they are much more efficient.
I also put Broadsword engines on the third stage. @SupremeDorian is right, an efficient engine is best suited for that stage. A powerful engine is useful for the lift-off phase, when you have to fight gravity.

Here is how the flight happens:
Screenshot_20181216-041714_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
First stage empty, I'm still not very fast, but as the second stage has 2 Frontier engines it will be ok:
Screenshot_20181216-041855_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
See? I could reach orbit with a bit of fuel left in the second stage.
But I must admit that it is only slightly better than yours, which is why I said your design was interesting :p