Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
(There are rather a lot of screen shots for this so it is split over multiple posts)

Mode: Normal/Sandbox (all cheats off)
I might want to use the station in Team Hawk entries later (where allowed) and some entries seem to require part-clipping (disabled in challange mode)

Textures used:
Metallic textures 1.0 - Altair
Colonation Textures 1.2 - BUDD
PEx Shapes+ 1.0 - Proxima Exploration

Some of the requirements were a bit vague so I tried to take a likely worst case approach

No payload limits per launch were specified (there would be some if doing this for real). I assumed they should be launchable (with diferrent launchers) in realistic mode i.e approx 100t payload per launch max.

habitation module: I used 6 empty tanks using Colonation Textures 1.2 textures.
I also assumed you might want rotational gravity so placed them accordingly.

escape craft: The capsules are rather small and the station rather big - one is probably not enough. I sent 4 capsules estimated delta V 2424m/s. Each capsule should be capable of deorbit in realistic mode from any Earth orbit (allow for the higher isp in realistic mode). In standard mode they wopuld nave more than enough to return to earth from Mars!

solar panels: without mods these are purely decorative so difficulty to guess how many. With Electricity Park Pack v0.5 - N2O4 (disabled for this) 6 small solar panels are enough to power 8 ion drives (used this in an orbital staton I used in a different world). I supplied 16 larg solar panels - hopefully this is sufficient.

separate docking area: Not clear what is meant by 'separate'. I provided three small unoccupied docking positions and one large one along the central axis (can be occupied while accellerating and would not affect any rotational gravity spin), plus a few more off-axis.

a way to change its orbit: You did not specify by how much or how fast. In theory a single RCS with minimum fuel could change the orbit by not very much and very slowly - this seems inadequate. I included a fairly large tank in the design, over-engineered the launcher so the last stage would have a fairly large amount of fuel and left the last stages attached to the station. The estimated delta V is 1371m/s, enough to reach Mars in standard mode. In realistic mode (with the higher isp) should be enough for most reasonable orbit changes.

Max thrust is 1100t, max accelleration (TWR)=1.65g. N.B. max thrust cannot be sustained (can only refuel one drive unit while accellarating). Max sustained thrust is likely to be 300t or TWR 0.44 minimum - assumingt it is possible to refuel the drive unit tank faster than fuel is consumed.

Stats:
Station Mass at completion (all last stages attached) with fuel=667.37t
- dry would be 411.896
Station Core mass dry=48.1t. full=421.6t, fuel=373.7 (68.4%)=255.474
Small launcher last stages (4x) dry=25.55,full=115.55t, thrust 200t, isp 290
Large launcher last stage dry=45.46,full=220.96t, thrust 300t, isp 290

One capsule mass=21.99,dry=8.49t,thrust=30t,isp 260
---------
Core
01_BP.PNG 02_Launchpad.PNG 03_Launching.PNG 04_ReachSpace.PNG 05_TargetOrbit1.PNG 06_TargetOrbit2.PNG

Service 1 Launch+BP
01_BP.PNG 02_Launchpad.PNG 03_Launching.PNG 04_ReachSpace.PNG

Service 1 Earth orbit
05_InitialOrbit.PNG 06_TransferOrbit.PNG

Service 1 Rendezvous and dock
07_Approach.PNG 08_Docking.PNG 09_Docked.PNG 10_InPosition.PNG

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Service 2+Habitation

Service 2 - Launch+BP
01_BP.PNG 02_Launchpad.PNG

Service 2 - Earth orbit
03_InitialOrbit.PNG 04_TransferOrbit.PNG

Service 2 - Rendezvous and dock
05_Approach.PNG 06_Docked.PNG 07_FinalPosition.PNG

Habitations - Launch+BP
01_BP.PNG 02_LaunchPad.PNG 03_Launching.PNG 04_ReachSpace.PNG

Habitations - Earth orbit

Habitations - Rendezvous and dock
07_Approach.PNG 08_Docking1.PNG 09_Docked1.PNG 10_Docking2.PNG 11_Docked2.PNG

Habitations - Reparking drive unit
12_Reparking.PNG 13_FinalPosition.PNG

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Capsules +Final arrangement

Capsules - Launch+BP
01_BP.PNG 02_Launchpad.PNG 03_Launching.PNG 04_ReachSpace.PNG

Capsules - Earth orbit

Capsules - Rendezvous and dock
07_Approach.PNG 08_Capsule1_Docking.PNG 09_Capsule1_Docked.PNG 10_Capsule2_Docking.PNG 11_Capsule2_Docked.PNG 12_Capsule3_Docking.PNG 13_Capsule3_Docked.PNG 14_LastOnEnRoute.PNG 15_Capsule4_Docking.PNG 16_Capsule4_Docked.PNG

Final arrangement
17_AllComponentsPlaced.PNG 18_PowerUp.PNG 19_FuelToStorage.PNG 20_FuelStored.PNG

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Very nice station, badge granted :)

About the engine to alter the orbit, we didn't precise it indeed, but what we have in mind is that a station in real life must be able to rise its orbit to compensate for drag losses. Even if the atmosphere is extremely thin, it still exists in LEO, and any orbiting object is deorbited in at most a few years (like what happened to Skylab). The purpose can also be to maneuver to avoid a collision. For those reasons a small engine is enough, but a single RCS isn't. I used a single Valiant for my 1000 tons station for example. And it was build in IRIS.