Might be my record for fastest response time :p

Anyways, looks good Altaïr Mooncrasher

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Alright, second challenge, Swinging on a Star!

In this mission, the goal is to land on Ganymede and doing a flyby of the rest.

Launch and reaching orbit, but payload's still covered.
1 launch orbit.jpg

Fairing ejection and reassembly. The Bot Jovi is ready for an adventure!
2 fairing dock.jpg

Then the Venus burn started. After leaving a small amount of fuel in the second stage, Bot Jovi is separated and continues the burn. The second stage is dumped back to Earth.
3 booster sep dump.jpg

Initially VEEGA was planned, but the perfect alignment was missed. So improvisation to VEEEGA is conducted. Bot Jovi manages to enter Jupiter's SOI and performs capture burn near the gas giant's atmosphere.
4 veeega 1.jpg

5 veeega 2.jpg

A series of gravity assist is performed to bring Bot Jovi closer to Ganymede's orbit. First two GA is done using Callisto, followed by Ganymede GA.
6 ellips capt 1.jpg

After GA, Bot Jovi raises its perijove to Ganymede's level, so the capture burn doesn't cost much.
7 ellips capt 2.jpg

Finally Bot Jovi got to low orbit and landed safely on Ganymede.
8 landing.jpg

After doing some activities, it's back to orbit and prepared for leaving the Jupiter system. The plan is to use Io GA to raise the apojove, and eventually use Ganymene GA to yeet Bot Jovi back to Earth. Europa encounter is in this return trajectory.
9 orbit io.jpg
10 io 1.jpg
11 euro io.jpg
12 io 2.jpg
13 gan esc.jpg

Bot Jovi managed to escape the Jupiter system and aimed for Earth by doing a powered GA in the final Ganymede encounter. That last flyby also sets up Earth encounter on the next turn. Upon entering Earth's SOI, Bot Jovi gets into a t-pose and deploys its heatshields. The remaining fuel is burned to slow it down. After a spicy reentry, Bot Jovi landed back on Earth safely, still t-posing.
14 earth assem.jpg
15 landing.jpg

Mission Log:
16 log 1.jpg
17 log 2.jpg

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm not a judge but points for creativity!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow, that's truly a masterpiece, as much in terms of creativity as in terms of flight technique.

Badge granted, I'll remember Bot Jovi for sure :D

I also gave you the Atlas badge since it appears we didn't judge your submission yet. Don't hesitate to ping us if the review takes too long.

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow, that's truly a masterpiece, as much in terms of creativity as in terms of flight technique.

Badge granted, I'll remember Bot Jovi for sure :D

I also gave you the Atlas badge since it appears we didn't judge your submission yet. Don't hesitate to ping us if the review takes too long.
Thanks! It all thanks to your thread and explanation on gravity assist, without it I won't be able to do this mission.
Noted, I kinda forgot about the Atlas challenge LOL.

I forgot to add, all those gravity assists in the Jovian system was not all obtained after one turn, especially during the Io GAs to raise the apojove. Patience is needed to get a cheap encounters o_O.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I forgot to add, all those gravity assists in the Jovian system was not all obtained after one turn, especially during the Io GAs to raise the apojove. Patience is needed to get a cheap encounters o_O.
Yep, I can imagine. I did it a lot before too, but I was so fed up of it that I ended up making a mod for that o_O

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Final task for Team Hawk, but not be the last challenge I'd try. Here comes the Mercury Mission!

As per the quicksave provided, the ship started at 35km x 35km at Earth. Aimed for Venus with high angular difference. The burn was done three times. Unfortunately, the ship's perihelion wasn't aligned with Mercury's.
merc 1 launch aim.jpg

But the show must go on. So after Venus GA, came the most tedious (and most time the game went freezing) part of the challenge. Lowering the aphelion of the ship through the Graveyard.
merc 2 ga chain.jpg

After several Mercury GA, the ship's perihelion angle got rotated anticlockwise. The ship performed one burn to raise it's perihelion.
merc 3 ga chain periraise.jpg

The ship kept doing GAs to find a cheap capture burn, until it's perihelion was below Mercury's. The aphelion were lowered to prepare for encounter opportunity.
merc 4 ga chain apolow.jpg

Then the opportunity arrived. The ship was captured to SOI after the insertion burn, brought to low orbit, and prepared to land.
merc 5 insertion.jpg

And the ship landed safely on the Graveyard's embrace. Phew!
merc 6 landing log.jpg

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Nice! How did you avoid losing fuel during the repeated Mercury assists?
(and most time the game went freezing)
Nice to know I'm not the only person experiencing that!

Last edited:

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Thanks!

I only took very cheap encounters, usually below +-30 m/s, and aimed early for the Mercury flyby height. The consequences of this (I forgot to mention) was the super long waiting (and several freezing) :p.

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I did a different route, Instead of waiting I tried to calculate resonant orbits with mercury, but due to the fact my orbit wasn't aligned with mercury, SFS doesn't have a SMA indicator and the lack of a closest approach line I often had to spend around 100m/s every single gravity assist to correct the mistake I probably spent more fuel than I would have wanted.

I then resorted to doing the double venus assist Altaïr used to get my orbit down to mercury's periapsis and then I landed directly

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Very good mission, I'm impressed by your mastery of gravity assists. And your patience :p
Welcome into team Hawk, a well deserved award :cool:

floatingfuel

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Very good mission, I'm impressed by your mastery of gravity assists. And your patience :p
Welcome into team Hawk, a well deserved award :cool:
Thank you! Yeah man, that waiting turns made me question my existence :D

I did a different route, Instead of waiting I tried to calculate resonant orbits with mercury, but due to the fact my orbit wasn't aligned with mercury, SFS doesn't have a SMA indicator and the lack of a closest approach line I often had to spend around 100m/s every single gravity assist to correct the mistake I probably spent more fuel than I would have wanted.

I then resorted to doing the double venus assist Altaïr used to get my orbit down to mercury's periapsis and then I landed directly
Probably you didn't raise the ship's perihelion when you're getting closer to Mercury? Because that's quite a big deal in this challenge, I would say. I tried to skip that and the ship wouldn't slow down enough to be captured.

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Probably you didn't raise the ship's perihelion when you're getting closer to Mercury? Because that's quite a big deal in this challenge, I would say. I tried to skip that and the ship wouldn't slow down enough to be captured.
That may be part of it, I'll try the challenge again and see if I can land with more fuel

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
That may be part of it, I'll try the challenge again and see if I can land with more fuel
I just realised why I wasn't able to do the resonant orbits, I forgot about the radius of the sun when calculating SMAs for resonant orbits

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I just realised why I wasn't able to do the resonant orbits, I forgot about the radius of the sun when calculating SMAs for resonant orbits
Fatal mistake :p
It's very frustrating but a small error makes a huge difference in the end.

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I'll try the mission again soon (Also I really want an SMA read out in sfs(Altaïr if you haven't added it to ANAIS already I think that would be a good feature to add))

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'll try the mission again soon (Also I really want an SMA read out in sfs(Altaïr if you haven't added it to ANAIS already I think that would be a good feature to add))
The mod already allows what you want to do: it's the closest approach line over several turns. If following an encounter you plan another encounter after x turns then you end up automatically on a resonant orbit. This is an even more powerful tool in practice, because if your orbit is not initially synchronized you can still easily plan an encounter.

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
The mod already allows what you want to do: it's the closest approach line over several turns. If following an encounter you plan another encounter after x turns then you end up automatically on a resonant orbit. This is an even more powerful tool in practice, because if your orbit is not initially synchronized you can still easily plan an encounter.
Oh fair, still want an SMA display ingame or something