Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I can’t see SLS sticking around much longer.
I can. It's still the heaviest lifter in the world right now. And is literally too big to fail since NASA has spent so much cash on it. Pulling the plug on the system would devastate companies like rocketdyne who have had billions sunk in to re-start the RS-25.
Added to the fact the NASA has pretty much mandated SLS under certain areas of the lunar program to force it upon the community.
I don't think SLS is going anywhere, not until Starship gets the green light. And then NASA is fucked.
Cos they're still in the 1980s.

Hell, I'm in the opinion NASA is still in business purely because it's 'government'.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I don't think SLS is going anywhere, not until Starship gets the green light. And then NASA is fucked.
Exactly, that is what I am saying.

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Hell, I'm in the opinion NASA is still in business purely because it's 'government'.
Probably. The US government has the largest ego to uphold, and spending money on things that don’t end up doing anything important seems to be their main goal.

Anoki

Registered
I agree. The people at NASA are great, but that old ambition is gone. The entire U.S. space effort basically hinges on Congress- and thus the public. In my opinion, we're (possibly) going back to the Moon because we miss that old feeling of going somewhere and doing something. I just hope this doesn't all drown in red tape, or get put down like Constellation. The SLS is a good idea, but whether the public really wants to spend that assload of cash on the world's largest firework remains to be seen.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
spending money on things that don’t end up doing anything important seems to be their main goal.
Well, I agree and disagree.

On the one hand, it's an absolute shitton of cash to spank into a rocket. And it doesn't need to be so god damn expensive.

However. As I've said before, people tend to forget that the money isn't being fired at the moon, the rocket is.
I've no issue with NASA spending however much on SLS it's costing, cos the numbers are chicken feed compared to the Apollo program. That money is eventually going to US businesses, paying US workers, creating jobs etc as it filters down and around and essentially benefits a lot of actual people, most of which aren't even involved in the space industry.

My problem is the end product is sub-standard. Better can be, has been and is being done with the resources it has but it's stuck cos if it cancels or shifts, a lot of americans will lose their jobs. In the same way that Boeing are in trouble (I've read they've lost something like 130bn this year on the stock market and are burning 4bn a month in costs) now everyone is cancelling Dreamliner and 737 max orders and needs huge (to the tune of c.40bn dollars) bailouts to stay up.

In my opinion, we're (possibly) going back to the Moon because we miss that old feeling of going somewhere and doing something.
Yeah, it's exactly that. A president has said 'lets go to the moon' again cos it sounds cool. Not quite the blank cheque it was given in the 60s, but not far off. And I don't blame NASA for grabbing that cheque with both hands. I've long been a huge and very vocal fan of building cool shit for the sake of building cool shit and glad something is being done. I just wish that something was...better. Cooler.

but whether the public really wants to spend that assload of cash on the world's largest firework remains to be seen
No, I don't think it does. Especially during Corona where unemployment is (excuse the pun) rocketing, businesses are collapsing, more people need help and then NASA say they're throwing 2bn dollars into the ocean. They're not, but that's how the public will read it.
It's one of the projects that people will get behind and cheer once it's on the launch pad, but until then...nah.

On a side note, keep this about rockets and current launch projects. Keep your subjective opinions of the orange man or capitalism, corporate greed and other non-related stuff to a minimum please. This isn't directed at anyone, and the level of references and talking about here is fine. But, I've seen enough internet to know where that ends up.

Local politicians only care about nasa for jobs, Congress only cares as far as they can keep those locals happy and look good on the world stage;
If NASA can’t be budgeted well enough, and things are looking bad, Congress will just piss money down the toilet to maintain basic jobs and abandon any real progress in favor of a new plan to make America look great as far from space as they can

SLS along with God forbid James Webb could very well get scrapped, Boeing is shit so I’d put my money into pressing spaceX to pick up the slack;
Congress wants to cut the ISS out of public funds, shows how far you can trust them

Maybe getting spaceX handy in leo and making multi part launches comfortable is the way to go

but BOT, SaturnV...if Elon based his roadster on a rocket 88, how much sense would that make?

Despite our idiot president I think we do need to go to the moon, but to figure out space industry before Mars, not just to go there and not as Americans but as Earthlings with the Chinese included;
Just like there is no money wasted in space, there is no money made in space, only cost reduction on the priceless knowledge to be gained

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Despite our idiot president
Well, it lasted 45 minutes longer than I thought it would before orange man bad appeared.

And you know, subjective opinions on governments and stuff. You're old enough to remember Dragnet?

WDp0OZL.gif

Just the facts ma'am.

Boeing is shit so I’d put my money into pressing spaceX to pick up the slack;
Boeing may make 'shit' space craft. But they make much better airliners than SpaceX. And that is the bit that's going to screw a lot of people over if it goes under. Airbus may make better (apparently) so they'll likely fill the vacuum of airliner numbers, but not the number of people out of work on another continent.

not just to go there and not as Americans but as Earthlings with the Chinese included
How nice would that be? Being fair, space travel is one of the few true international efforts the human race has endeavored in. And there's enough people in the business interested in this:
the priceless knowledge to be gained
That even if the aim, intent and delivery is going there solely for 'Murica, everyone will still benefit.

SaturnV...if Elon based his roadster on a rocket 88, how much sense would that make?
Imagine how far a Saturn V could throw a Tesla Roadster. Or one of those corvettes all most of the NASA astronauts got back in the day.

Congress wants to cut the ISS out of public funds shows how far you can trust them
Subjective opinions of governmental organisations aside, and I really don't want to get into this kind of thing here, but Congress copies the mindset of people. People want to cut funding for ISS, because people like the idea of a space station, but only when they're not paying for it. Simply cos they think all the money spent on it is actually in orbit and not being used on...whatever.

Congress will just piss money down the toilet to maintain basic jobs and abandon any real progress in favor of a new plan to make America look great as far from space as they can
It wouldn't be the first time either. Exactly the same happened after Apollo.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Hell, you could lift a single SLS's worth of cargo with a few Falcon Heavies, for less than you'd pay for the 4 RD-25s

Boeing may make 'shit' space craft. But they make much better airliners than SpaceX. And that is the bit that's going to screw a lot of people over if it goes under. Airbus may make better (apparently) so they'll likely fill the vacuum of airliner numbers, but not the number of people out of work on another continent.
You'd think that be a good thing, because it's capitalism at it's finest. :p
(Don't worry, I think unckecked capitalism is bad for everyone except the rich people. But I also think that never letting Boeing fall because you're throwing money at them is also bad. There must be a middle road)

Well, it lasted 45 minutes longer than I thought it would before orange man bad appeared.

And you know, subjective opinions on governments and stuff. You're old enough to remember Dragnet?

View attachment 37054
Just the facts ma'am.

How nice would that be? Being fair, space travel is one of the few true international efforts the human race has endeavored in. And there's enough people in the business interested in this:

That even if the aim, intent and delivery is going there solely for 'Murica, everyone will still benefit.

Imagine how far a Saturn V could throw a Tesla Roadster. Or one of those corvettes all most of the NASA astronauts got back in the day.

Subjective opinions of governmental organisations aside, and I really don't want to get into this kind of thing here, but Congress copies the mindset of people. People want to cut funding for ISS, because people like the idea of a space station, but only when they're not paying for it. Simply cos they think all the money spent on it is actually in orbit and not being used on...whatever.

It wouldn't be the first time either. Exactly the same happened after Apollo.
My problem with the SaturnV is that realistically you can’t build one just like they used to even if all the original talent were irrelevant, you start by updating the caveman electronics then the housings then nip tuck every bit of the whole damn thing till you got something completely different, expensive and foolish...
It’s better just to start fresh, just doing Apollo over again is...that guy’s idea

I wish Boeing could be trusted, they got the production talent but they could use a fresh start too...like cut the bailouts and let them wallow in bankruptcy for a while

I don’t wanna derail on politics either, but ISS isn’t ‘murica so we call it not ours to fund, same figuring as WHO and the UN, we do our thing and the kids do what they do;
We certainly have and will bring great things to the benefit of all mankind but should learn to play together, our almightyness is waning and we should be thinking about a more graceful transition could be the greatest thing we ever did...well there’s a too early morning sentence

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I don’t wanna derail on politics either, but ISS isn’t ‘murica so we call it not ours to fund, same figuring as WHO and the UN, we do our thing and the kids do what they do;
Funny thing, that's why Clinton set up ISS the way he did. By setting up with international partners and treaties, it's more expensive but almost impossible to cancel unless you get everyone to agree.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hell, you could lift a single SLS's worth of cargo with a few Falcon Heavies, for less than you'd pay for the 4 RD-25s
Yeah, it's almost a fully disposable FH for the same cost as a fully disposable RS-25. How that is a thing is blowing my mind, especially as the 'old' price for when they were SSMEs and were being re-used loads was much lower. That is something someone should be answering questions about.

But I also think that never letting Boeing fall because you're throwing money at them is also bad. There must be a middle road)
Yeah, there does need to be a third option, maybe a 'up and coming' aerospace company with a bit of drive and no laurels to rest on but still based in the US.

My problem with the SaturnV is that realistically you can’t build one just like they used to even if all the original talent were irrelevant, you start by updating the caveman electronics then the housings then nip tuck every bit of the whole damn thing till you got something completely different, expensive and foolish...
It’s better just to start fresh, just doing Apollo over again is...that guy’s idea
But why is apollo a bad idea? It worked. And clearly the 21st century options aren't much cheaper, or much different.
Granted, it is in the stone age, but would it really be much more expensive to update than the current outlay thrown into Artemis/Orion? Much of the cost of the Saturn system was due to the horrendous complexity. The rocket, especially the engines, are giant versions of doc browns coffee maker. Much of that clockwork can be computerised, cutting something like 30% of the parts used and probably increasing reliability as well. Even a stone age Saturn V compares in price to SLS, unit to unit. Even making it 5% cheaper through modernisation is still 5% cheaper than what we're using. And cos it lifts double, your dollar to the kilo is even better. You're getting moar bang for your buck.

same figuring as WHO and the UN, we do our thing and the kids do what they do
NASA is planning on moving away from the ISS by 2024, so that is going to happen. And this:
ISS isn’t ‘murica so we call it not ours to fund
Is very true.
However. Without the US and the space shuttle specifically, that station wouldn't have been built. Not to say they're the only players in that game, but the majority of the modules were delivered by (and in some cases could only be delivered by) the shuttle using American money and launch facilities. So leaving the kids to do their own thing isn't always beneficial. Without it, NASA would be no where near where it is now with the considerations of leaving humans in space for periods of time.

but should learn to play together
It's funny, you talk of global co-operation, straight after saying leave the rest of the kids to play by themselves. You can't have both.

our almightyness is waning and we should be thinking about a more graceful transition could be the greatest thing we ever did...well there’s a too early morning sentence
Maybe so. But co-operation is bi-lateral. You can be as open as you like, but if the other kids aren't then you're going to have issues. Your problem is thinking its just the US not wanting to share its toys cos it has agendas. All the other kids have agendas as well. They just don't have cool toys yet to share and this graceful transition needs co-operation, especially from those other big players like the Russians and Chinese, who are famous for being helpful and transparent and not having any ulterior motives or conflicting interests of their own.

Funny thing, that's why Clinton set up ISS the way he did. By setting up with international partners and treaties, it's more expensive but almost impossible to cancel unless you get everyone to agree.
Yes, and it's a bloody smart idea on expensive projects. That kind of 'catch' is the only reason Concorde was completed. The UK and France were forced contractually to finish the project, where they would've bailed on it years prior due to cost.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Is very true.
However. Without the US and the space shuttle specifically, that station wouldn't have been built. Not to say they're the only players in that game, but the majority of the modules were delivered by (and in some cases could only be delivered by) the shuttle using American money and launch facilities.
True.
But why? NASA made the space shuttle to make a space station.
However, because STS was horrendously expensive, they designed their part of the space station to be liftable by only the space shuttle.
Can't cancel the space station -> their part of the space station could only be lifted by the space shuttle -> therefore, can't cancel the space shuttle. Q.E.D.
Notice that they cancelled the space shuttle almost as soon as the space station was done.

They could have gone the Russian route of making each module a self-contained space ship that could be carried by a cargo rocket, rather than a immobile piece of equipment that needed to be hooked up to the space shuttle in order to be brought to where it needed to be and docked.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
But why? NASA made the space shuttle to make a space station.
However, because STS was horrendously expensive, they designed their part of the space station to be liftable by only the space shuttle.
Can't cancel the space station -> their part of the space station could only be lifted by the space shuttle -> therefore, can't cancel the space shuttle. Q.E.D.
Notice that they cancelled the space shuttle almost as soon as the space station was done.
Yeah, that's the beauty of the project. If you rely on costs as a guide, nothing new will get done. The shuttle wasn't a bad system, it was just an expensive one.
What should've happened is they should have spoken to Cosmo and found ways of making the STS less of a money pit rather than cancelling it entirely.

They could have gone the Russian route of making each module a self-contained space ship that could be carried by a cargo rocket, rather than a immobile piece of equipment that needed to be hooked up to the space shuttle in order to be brought to where it needed to be and docked.
Very true. That problem with this is when you're making your module inside your set payload mass and dimensions, you not only have to include things that make it a space station module in whatever functions it has, but also things that make it a spacecraft as well.
Akin to in SFS, slathering modules in dry mass with RCS blocks and engines so it can dock itself, or using an external builder thing to position it so the actual module can either be lighter, or more capable at its job.

The shuttle allowed the module to be a module. Same with things like Hubble. Hubble is another good example of a thing that relied on STS heavily. A Russian delivery system would lift Hubble, but would struggle assembling it without a crew, a manipulation arm, somewhere to store the attachment points onto in one lift and recovery.
Otherwise hubble would have to have been not just a telescope, but also a spacecraft and would've been bigger than it is now.

I’m no engineer I’m just familiar with the mess of reinventing things in general and am leery of making a “new” SaturnV

I don’t care about cost, waste I can do without; we could easily double the NASA budget or better if we wanted to

Yeah, that's the beauty of the project. If you rely on costs as a guide, nothing new will get done. The shuttle wasn't a bad system, it was just an expensive one.
What should've happened is they should have spoken to Cosmo and found ways of making the STS less of a money pit rather than cancelling it entirely.
Weren’t you just arguing SaturnV as a cost saving measure?

I agree with you about 95% of the time in general, you often get muddied by my sarcasm which is entirely my fault with the keel of my humor dragging in cynicism as it does

Cancelling the sts was completely stupid; dangerous and expensive at it was, it was ours and it was great and if it weren’t for our greatest immigrant taking up the slack we’d be looking damn foolish right now

Speaking of dragnet
just the facts indeed

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I can. It's still the heaviest lifter in the world right now. And is literally too big to fail since NASA has spent so much cash on it. Pulling the plug on the system would devastate companies like rocketdyne who have had billions sunk in to re-start the RS-25.
Added to the fact the NASA has pretty much mandated SLS under certain areas of the lunar program to force it upon the community.

So, you are saying that NASA will stay with the SLS until Starship puts them out of business?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
So, you are saying that NASA will stay with the SLS until Starship puts them out of business?
NASA will stay with the Senate Launch System until Congress says otherwise, if you ask me.
That whole operation is congress's doing.

NASA will stay with the Senate Launch System until Congress says otherwise, if you ask me.
That whole operation is congress's doing.
Hmm, yes, let’s move Congress to Mars to keep them safe, and funnel NASA’s rocket budget to spaceX for R&D on a new super heavy lift engine so NASA can focus on science...it all makes sense now

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I’m no engineer I’m just familiar with the mess of reinventing things in general and am leery of making a “new” SaturnV
Well they've already done most of the theory work involved, the F-1D is a thing and even very recently they took apart an old F-1 and fired up the turbopump to see what made it tick. They could've given Aerojet Rocketdyne $2.9bn still, but changed the invoice from RS-25 to F-1D. It would change how SLS looks and works, like it wouldn't need the super-sized SRBs cos the core is now producing a lot more thrust/TWR and can come away earlier. Obviously there are arguments against, the RS-25 is a bloody good engine, spanking F-1 for efficiency at any altitude and would actually be an interesting swap for the J-2 for the second and third stage on the Saturn V.

I don’t care about cost, waste I can do without; we could easily double the NASA budget or better if we wanted to
Yes, totally agree. The mission can cost all it likes, as long as it's good.

Weren’t you just arguing SaturnV as a cost saving measure?
...yeah...? Using Saturn V is still not using cost as a guide, even if it is the 'cheaper' option. Its the better rocket, use it. I'm saying SLS is over-priced and under performs. My point with STS is it is over-priced, but it did perform. Same with Saturn V. The adjusted for 2020 Saturn project price (as opposed to individual unit on the pad prices) makes designing SLS look like pocket money, but considering it's the first and performed to a standard still held as the benchmark, the end result was worth the cash and cos it's already spent, the outlay is less cos the units are cheaper and you need less of them.
Use performance, not cash to guide what systems you use.

I think the same should've been done to both platforms, the Saturn V and STS. Rather than cancelling the projects out of no reason other than cost, use / upgrade (including making them cheaper to make) them.
Once they've been upgraded as much as they can and begin to become outdated, or their uses have been expended (and no one can sit and tell me either wouldn't have had further uses, money aside, the past 10 - 40 years).
Then hold a proper competition for a replacement or a phased retirement with a new mission statement that over-laps or interlocks the current capability retirement timeline.

Cancelling the sts was completely stupid; dangerous and expensive at it was, it was ours and it was great and if it weren’t for our greatest immigrant taking up the slack we’d be looking damn foolish right now
Yes. I remember seeing a meme shortly after the Baumgartner jump, 'imagine having a drinks company with a better space program than NASA'. Although Musk freely admits that NASA helped SpaceX a lot with expertise and advice, it was a bit stupid for the US to decide that it'd rely entirely on commercial and foreign launch systems to sustain its own commitments in space.

Yes. it's put a lot of eggs into the SLS basket and will be counting on the Block II version and the monopoly to keep it in contention as it's the only current decent weight lunar delivery vehicle. That'll fly out of the airlock when people realise that Starship can do lunar/Martian deliveries with a fuckton more weight (numbers claimed depend on however much Elon is smoking that day, and i've heard anything from 100 to 300t to the moon), without the 2bn price tag and sack using commercial SLS for the shiny loadbays of SpaceX.
The day civilians can get to the moon is the day NASA stops becoming a delivery service.

By out of business though, I mean the rocket building business. NASA still owns some of the best training and launch grounds in the world and is responsible for so much more than over-sized fireworks.

In the concept of loaning services, facilities and expertise, -
NASA can focus on science
- I think NASA will do very well cos they're rather good at that part.

In related news, SpaceX has fired a raptor on a Starship hull for the first time a few days ago.

Anoki

Registered
If you ever doubt NASA (or feel discouraged from your rocketry dreams), just remember that we strapped

four Titan boosters

onto a fully stacked and functional

Saturn V

Saturn MLV-V-4(S)-A.gif

"Screw you, N-1"

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ummm how about the big dumb (Sea Dragon)????
its like an shipyard construction and idk if its reusable one i forgot thou.....

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
If Saturn V goes back it need new and modernized avionics, spacecraft system and less weights (metals and others).

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
i
If you ever doubt NASA (or feel discouraged from your rocketry dreams), just remember that we strapped

four Titan boosters

onto a fully stacked and functional

Saturn V

View attachment 37396

"Screw you, N-1"
like it but its gonna over performed........

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Ummm how about the big dumb (Sea Dragon)????
its like an shipyard construction and idk if its reusable one i forgot thou.....
The difference with that is we never had the tech or funds required to build one. These proposed ideas are technically possible.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The difference with that is we never had the tech or funds required to build one. These proposed ideas are technically possible.
Yep So Sad that we can't do it because of that word "Funds" in spaceflight......

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Yep So Sad that we can't do it because of that word "Funds" in spaceflight......
I agree. Space is such an important compoment of modern life, it really is a shame it gets such pitiful funding.