Newbie Needs Help

Beady

Registered
I need some very basic UI help. When building a rocket, what is Symmetry, and why would I use it? What are the little numbers 1 & 2 below the parts? What is the + sign for? What is the × sign for? Is there a place where all this is explained?

I've built, launched and landed craft in SFS for a while now, but I've never figured these things out.

Beady

Registered
PS: I've looked through the FAQ and these questions don't seem to be covered. The FAQ appears to have been written for a much earlier version.

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I need some very basic UI help. When building a rocket, what is Symmetry, and why would I use it? What are the little numbers 1 & 2 below the parts? What is the + sign for? What is the × sign for? Is there a place where all this is explained?

I've built, launched and landed craft in SFS for a while now, but I've never figured these things out.
Symmetry places another part on the opposite side of the middle of the build screen like the name suggests

Not sure which numbers you mean, ot would be helpful if you provided a screenshot. Same with an x and the +

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
The 1 2 button is the staging button.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
PS: I've looked through the FAQ and these questions don't seem to be covered. The FAQ appears to have been written for a much earlier version.
Aah, finally somebody that reads the FAQ :p

The FAQ is mostly about forum features though, not the game itself.

Let's see the symmetry feature first. When you place a part on the building grid, this allows you to automatically place the same part on the opposite side.
This is a fuel tank placed without symmetry:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-09-28-08-55-31.jpg
And this is an engine placed with symmetry:
Screenshot_20220928-085716_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-09-28-09-08-08.jpg
The game automatically placed an engine on the other side. This is useful to build boosters for example.

The rest of the buttons are about staging. Staging is a feature that allows you to pre-program your actions in flight. Let's take that rocket for example:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-09-28-08-59-01.jpg
At lift-off, you'll click on the engine to turn it on. Then when you'll run out of fuel you'll click the separator to discard the first stage, then the second stage engine to turn it on and so on. Staging allows you to define these steps. First click on the "staging" button:
20220928_091917.jpg

A new "+" button appears:
20220928_092001.jpg

Click it to define a new step:
20220928_092110.jpg

Then click on the Hawk engine to add it to your step:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-09-28-08-59-19.jpg

Then add more steps and define your future actions like this:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-09-28-08-59-41.jpg

You can also define several actions per step, it's useful to separate 2 boosters in a single move.

Then, in flight, just press on this button to trigger the actions you defined:
20220928_093748.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-09-28-09-01-18.jpg