nth times the charm! (Voyager mission)

NOG Aerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Here is my very unorthodox completion of the voyager mission. In this mission, I sent up first the vehicle carrying the probe, outlined in the rules as the launch vehicle, which weighed less that 256 tons. Then, I built a much heavier vehicle(which would be allowed on the grounds that this isn’t the launch vehicle, so it has no weight constraint.) that carried a tug up into orbit to be docked into the voyager probe to push it out of the solar system. Nowhere in the rules does it forbid 0g assembly, but if this does go against a rule the I missed please let me know.

Here is the mission:
IMG_0533.png
IMG_0534.png
IMG_0535.png
IMG_0536.png
IMG_0537.png
IMG_0538.png
IMG_0539.png
IMG_0540.png
7300 at 12.000.000
IMG_0542.png

4600 at 40.000.000
IMG_0543.png

3500 at 100.000.000
IMG_0545.png

Attachments

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
This seems like it should be illegal, I cannot find anything that says its not allowed; so good luck to you. Though an interpretation of the rules could say that the tug could be considered a launch vehicle and thereby exceeds the weight limit

NOG Aerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
This seems like it should be illegal, I cannot find anything that says its not allowed; so good luck to you. Though an interpretation of the rules could say that the tug could be considered a launch vehicle and thereby exceeds the weight limit
what I’m really banking on is that the launch vehicle is defined as the one carrying the probe and that I didn’t misread the rules

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I would argue that your tug counts as payload, and a custom one at that.

NOG Aerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I would argue that your tug counts as payload, and a custom one at that.
The tug is a payload, but not to the launch vehicle. The payload in the rules refers to the voyager probe and how you are not allowed to modify it.

Adding onto this, I think that if my attempt went against the rules of the challenge, the rules would have clearly forbid it. For example, my first mars mission attempt was denied because I did the same thing as here, a zero gravity assembly, which was against the rules of the mars mission. You said yourself that the mars mission needed to be one launch, but nowhere in the voyager rules does it say the same

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I think it's implied to be 1 launch. Altaïr can we have some assistance please?

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
if my attempt went against the rules of the challenge, the rules would have clearly forbid it.
Very true, but I can't really say you've completed the challenge when you haven't created an efficient rocket (the whole purpose of the challenge). I do recommend you try to do it in one launch, it'll be much more helpful when you try to design other efficient launch vehicles. We may need to modify these rules :p

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
what I’m really banking on is that the launch vehicle is defined as the one carrying the probe and that I didn’t misread the rules
I'm pretty sure that the total mass of all launches have to be under 265 tons, and you completely blew it I'm sorry
rules.jpg

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'm pretty sure that the total mass of all launches have to be under 265 tons, and you completely blew it I'm sorry View attachment 115995
That's correct. We don't disallow multiple launches, but then the limit applies globally to all launchers :)

NOG Aerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I’ve tried a few more designs and I still can’t get my voyager probe to escape the solar system or even get the rocket into LEO sometimes. Doesn’t help that I can’t really get references from other people’s completed missions because they are all DLC. Really scratching my head over this, what can I optimiz?

rocket design at time of posting : Rocket Link

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I’ve tried a few more designs and I still can’t get my voyager probe to escape the solar system or even get the rocket into LEO sometimes. Doesn’t help that I can’t really get references from other people’s completed missions because they are all DLC. Really scratching my head over this, what can I optimiz?

rocket design at time of posting : Rocket Link
Your rocket weighs 178 tons :eek:
You can go up to 265, first use everything you have. If you use a bigger first stage with 3 Hawk engines you should be able to make an appropriate launcher. Then avoid using Hawk engines on the second stage. Normally when the second stage starts flying you should already have a good speed, it's time to switch to efficient engines. The Valiant is a little weak, so don't hesitate to stack 3 of them.
With this you should be able to get something interesting. :)

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Second Altaïr on that, changed the second stage and made the first stage much larger and I did it with a margin of around 400m/s

It was even faster than mine which used DLC parts somehow

NOG Aerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
titan-centaur rocket off of Temu (I did voyager yayayaayayayay)
after a million attempts and modifications i came up with a design that only succeeded on the 5th launch, which was just fine for me because it actually worked this time. Thanks Axiom and Altaïr for this tips and thanks Altaïr for the voyager tutorial, here is my full mission

IMG_0578.png
IMG_0579.png
IMG_0572.png
IMG_0575.png
IMG_0576.png
IMG_0577.png
dont know if it’s necessary but I can also get the 100.000.000km mark too

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
titan-centaur rocket off of Temu (I did voyager yayayaayayayay)
after a million attempts and modifications i came up with a design that only succeeded on the 5th launch, which was just fine for me because it actually worked this time. Thanks Axiom and Altaïr for this tips and thanks Altaïr for the voyager tutorial, here is my full mission

dont know if it’s necessary but I can also get the 100.000.000km mark too
Can I see a screenshot of the map view as zoomed out as possible?

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
And you did it in less than 250 tons? That's exceptionally good! Badge largely deserved, welcome into team Frontier :cool: