ONLY Solid Rockets to orbit(and back)

Astro826

Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Inspired by Lemniscate Biscuit 's solid booster to the moon and back mission, I've decided to take srbs only to orbit, without any exploits or cheats. With an abysmal 60 Isp, this abomination just barely fits in the build space, and can just barely take the 4.8 ton payload to orbit.
Screenshot_20240326-225423.png
So many fuel bars o_O

After a laggy ascent that burns through a whopping 11 stages of boosters, the rocket reaches suborbital trajectory, with one small srb stage remaining.
Screenshot_20240326-230825.png
The final srb is lit near apoapsis, and the payload is just barely pushed into LEO.
Screenshot_20240326-230901.png Screenshot_20240326-230909.png
After completing a few orbits, the payload uses the retrorockets to deorbit and reenter the atmosphere.
Screenshot_20240326-230943.png Screenshot_20240326-231037.png
And so the mission concludes. With a 0.2% payload fraction, I don't think this is becoming useful any time soon....

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Inspired by Lemniscate Biscuit 's solid booster to the moon and back mission, I've decided to take srbs only to orbit, without any exploits or cheats. With an abysmal 60 Isp, this abomination just barely fits in the build space, and can just barely take the 4.8 ton payload to orbit.
View attachment 115495
So many fuel bars o_O

After a laggy ascent that burns through a whopping 11 stages of boosters, the rocket reaches suborbital trajectory, with one small srb stage remaining.
View attachment 115496
The final srb is lit near apoapsis, and the payload is just barely pushed into LEO.
View attachment 115497 View attachment 115498
After completing a few orbits, the payload uses the retrorockets to deorbit and reenter the atmosphere.
View attachment 115499 View attachment 115500
And so the mission concludes. With a 0.2% payload fraction, I don't think this is becoming useful any time soon....
This guy. THIS GUY. DID WHAT S O M E P E O P L E T H O U G H T W A S I M P O S S I B L E

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Great inefficiency contest :p

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Fun fact: there is a Chinese rocket that is able to launch Satellites using only SRBs.
Yes, to repeat the process in sfs using the SRBs in game, we would have to stretch them using bp editing

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Fun fact: there is a Chinese rocket that is able to launch Satellites using only SRBs.
The Vega rocket is not far from that too: its 3 first stages are solid rocket boosters, only the 4th stage uses liquid fuel.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yes, to repeat the process in sfs using the SRBs in game, we would have to stretch them using bp editing
The Vega rocket is not far from that too: its 3 first stages are solid rocket boosters, only the 4th stage uses liquid fuel.
At least real life SRB's aren't as bad as SFS ones (like 60s of isp jesus christ)

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Then there was Scout and Minotaur but Pegasus is an exception because it was launched from a plane
At least real life SRB's aren't as bad as SFS ones (like 60s of isp jesus christ)
And this is why I actually stopped using career mode getting SRBs and instead bp edit fuel tanks

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Then there was Scout and Minotaur but Pegasus is an exception because it was launched from a plane

And this is why I actually stopped using career mode getting SRBs and instead bp edit fuel tanks
Honestly I'm more suorised that you decided to use them at all