TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hi, im not sure if i specifically need to provide any images to this report, because its pretty simple to explain and see yourself. Basically, parts like fairings, struts or sometimes even engines which sometimes do or dont generate alot of drag and slow down fast can break off during reentry and instantly loose all of their speed. For example, i switch to a fairing halve so that the atmosphere slows it down, it breaks up into multiple pieces due to heating but one of those pieces just stops moving, when i switch to it, it starts at 0 m/s and starts falling like you would drop it from up there or something.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I already saw that yes. From what I know SFS stops calculating trajectories for an object which speed is below 0.1 m/s. Unless it's within the 5 km bubble around the controlled object, but you have to have an object under control of course. It's possible that very light parts instantly slow down below that threshold.

Another possibility is the fact that SFS can't calculate the trajectorie of an object that falls straight to the ground (with no horizontal speed at all), this could be the reason too.

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I already saw that yes. From what I know SFS stops calculating trajectories for an object which speed is below 0.1 m/s. Unless it's within the 5 km bubble around the controlled object, but you have to have an object under control of course. It's possible that very light parts instantly slow down below that threshold.

Another possibility is the fact that SFS can't calculate the trajectorie of an object that falls straight to the ground (with no horizontal speed at all), this could be the reason too.
The problem isnt that they stay in place, but that they instantly slow down to 0 m/s during reentry when burned away

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The problem isnt that they stay in place, but that they instantly slow down to 0 m/s during reentry when burned away
Ah, it's probably something more subtle then.