[PC 1.35] BP-Edited ALL-ELECTRIC Shuttle + Launcher

Yes, I'm going to be making an all-electric shuttle and launcher, using a LOT of BP-editing (and the BiggerGrid mod). Why? Because electric rockets are cool. And I felt like it.

Basic stats: 800T to LEO (and beyond?), dual payload bays, each designed to carry 400T. It'll have a LOT of ion engines. Not one chemical engine in the structure (except for the RCS on the cargo doors), period. AS for the boosters, they'll be BP-edited ions, encased in fairings to make them look good.

And yes, it will be an actual shuttle, NOT one of my trademark flying nose cones*

*It'll be a nose cone until I build the main parts. Then I'll refine it into a shuttle.

Here's my basic design for the shuttle:
One question is, anyone ever done one of those dual-payload bay systems? I'm aiming for it to land horizontally, so I can use parachutes to bring it in, because VTOL on this is like landing a thin stick. I just don't want to :p
1585326948095.png

Last edited:
T

TtTOtW

It does not resemble a plane shape, but hey the tail and nose is still coming right? And you want to make it all electric? Go ahead. But stretching engines are dynamic cheating. I mean it's your game, do and build what you want. But if you'd keep it realistic, you'd actually start earning some respect around here. In short: don't stretch engines, make your cargo bays a bit shorter, stick an LV underneath that can help your shuttle reach orbit and then your electric only shuttle will work just fine.

well, the *entire* thing is electric, not just the shuttle, so I have to deal with the ion engine's low capacity to haul stuff, which is why I'm stretching engines. I'll probably de-stretch the engines as I figure out the best ratio. I'm obviously not going to keep the engines at unstretched scale, because I'm going for a *very* far in the future approach, where chemical engines just don't exist. I obviously cannot create a new engine to fit those hypothetical specs, so I'm stretching them.

And as for the tail, that's coming. I might keep the nose more "conical", just for balance sake, but I'll see how this goes.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You'll have to stretch engines indeed if you want to reach LEO with this. I remember the pure ion challenge, where the purpose was to go as high as possible with ions only. Nobody even reached the Karman line.
Nice concept by the way, I'll follow this with interest :)

Thanks! I'll definitely see how far I can go with this, literally and distance-wise

I've updated the shuttle design to make it more shuttle-like:
1585448378269.png

Yes, the tail is missing a cone, I messed up a connection. The chemical engines were only to move it clear of the pad. I also need to move some docking ports and add some in on the bottom or side for the booster

I can't attach multiple modules that are BP edited... Here's what happened when I did that:
1586280335019.png

The engines on the one that I'm not controlling get flipped and hidden or something. Totally breaks it. I'll have to build the entire Ion Booster as one unit...

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I can't attach multiple modules that are BP edited... Here's what happened when I did that:
View attachment 35878
The engines on the one that I'm not controlling get flipped and hidden or something. Totally breaks it. I'll have to build the entire Ion Booster as one unit...
Yep, whenever you dock something with stretched parts, the parts on the side you are not controlling will return to their normal state.

T

TtTOtW

That's another reason we do not generally accept builds with stretched parts. They're unstable. Only in rare cases are they feasible on a realistic premise.