[PC 1.35] Modular Shuttles!?

Here's another crazy idea!
So I thought why have a shuttle whose cargo capacity and features are fixed, when yuo can have different modules that add different features? Just started this, we'll see how far things go...
Screenshot 2020-10-06 164025.jpg

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So I thought why have a shuttle whose cargo capacity and features are fixed, when yuo can have different modules that add different features? Just started this, we'll see how far things go...
View attachment 46423
Noice idea!! :) :)
try the fuel part (umm propulsion module a connected part so less transfer of fuel)

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
View attachment 46423
Well, because shuttles are hard to balance, you may have to have different boosters depending on the combination.

T

TtTOtW

You know, I had such a shuttle that could carry the NightSabre plus a full build grid in its belly. Phone got stolen so those plans was lost. But I did show Horus and some others here on another platform before that. Also, I've been working on modularizing shuttles since February (Oblivion's nose was modified to be repairable). Also, I currently fly a modular shuttle. It's a great concept.
Screenshot_2016-01-01-09-19-32.png
The tail is zero g constructed. It's quite a fancy bit of work. I call her FireDart X¹. Still in development, but takes 250t to orbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice! And yes, depending on balance, the LV may be different, but I might make a general-case booster to handle o moderate range of configurations...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I do need to find an actual use for that.

Anyone want 45,000tons of fuel delivered to LEO?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hahaha. I'll tell you when I need a kiloton fuel in Low Solar Orbit.
I don't think it's big enough. I'd need to make the Komodo 4 times larger to lift enough mass to punt even 100 tons to 35,000m/s ΔV using chemical engines. It worked out at roughly 930,000 tons launch mass

T

TtTOtW

I don't think it's big enough. I'd need to make the Komodo 4 times larger to lift enough mass to punt even 100 tons to 35,000m/s ΔV using chemical engines. It worked out at roughly 930,000 tons launch mass
I'll just have to do it myself then.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
This I need to see. Accelerating 1000tons to 39,500m/s, single launch no ions.

ok, here's an almost complete module list, including everything that is either a shuttle piece or adapter. No pics yet, cause I still need to clean up the build grid :p
No tail module yet, I need to see how everything fits together. Chutes will also need to be installed (on pre-built slots on the modules)
Also, might need a separate adapter for LV, LV sold separately

• 10 capsule crew module
  • Unmanned probe module
  • Cargo bay -> front adapter
  • Drone module with 2 drones
  • Extra-wide cargo bay
  • Cargo bay -> back adapter module (with fuel & RTG's)
  • 30-ion module (fuel included!)
  • 44 RTG and power storage module
  • 15 Grasshopper module (fuel included!)

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
ok, here's an almost complete module list, including everything that is either a shuttle piece or adapter. No pics yet, cause I still need to clean up the build grid :p
No tail module yet, I need to see how everything fits together. Chutes will also need to be installed (on pre-built slots on the modules)
Also, might need a separate adapter for LV, LV sold separately

• 10 capsule crew module
  • Unmanned probe module
  • Cargo bay -> front adapter
  • Drone module with 2 drones
  • Extra-wide cargo bay
  • Cargo bay -> back adapter module (with fuel & RTG's)
  • 30-ion module (fuel included!)
  • 44 RTG and power storage module
  • 15 Grasshopper module (fuel included!)
Looking forward to see your first prototype.

I miss when the Grasshopper engine was called Grasshopper...

Let the (polite) feedback begin! I realize this design has its cons, but I wanted a modular design with a taller cargo bay than my old shuttle, so I came up w/ this. PROTOTYPE 1B
Screenshot 2020-10-08 183912.jpg

Several things that I need to fix:
Close up the left side of the bay door.
The wheels on the drone bay need to be moved down 1
The tail's too small? (the probability of using *all* the modules is very small)
Empty space between modules, can place fuel on one of the modules before docking them together...
More chutes?

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Let the (polite) feedback begin! I realize this design has its cons, but I wanted a modular design with a taller cargo bay than my old shuttle, so I came up w/ this. PROTOTYPE 1B
View attachment 46510
Several things that I need to fix:
Close up the left side of the bay door.
The wheels on the drone bay need to be moved down 1
The tail's too small? (the probability of using *all* the modules is very small)
Empty space between modules, can place fuel on one of the modules before docking them together...
More chutes?
can she fly?

Last edited:
I don't know yet. I need to make a LV adapter, and strap it to a booster and do a chute test to make sure I can get it back in 1 piece, but that's a LOT easier than sorting through and assembling the modules :p