Planets stack on top of eachother (old bug)

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hi, i've been trying to report this bug for maybe like 2 years now but no one has answered and the bug still hasnt been fixed.

It happens in every solar system, stock or not and is very annoying but almost always looks and works the same.

The bug essentially causes all planets and the Sun to stack on top of eachother, they layer on eachother which obviously causes all sorts of problems to the rocket.

I last witnessed the bug when i somehow bypassed the timewarp here node near Venus, the node stayed in place even though i already passed it and it just stayed there without any orbit line attached. I reload the world, and this happens:
Screenshot_2022-10-01-09-50-50-95_cba7b177b2edecae2cc69ac3f7d2b91d.png

My friend also had this happen on my custom solar system with basically the newest version of planet files, it has happened on plethera of older and newer planet packs too tho, some mine and some from others, so it seems like the age of planet packs has nothing to do with it. Here's another picture:
33AC8706-E472-48CF-BE7E-AE3C0F80B3C3.png

This was a problem even back in 1.4, and so hasnt been fixed for at least 3 years, Altaïr please report it somewhere, i've not seen any answer on my old thread and really want this to be fixed.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow...

I already had this happening when I was messing with the orbits code, but I had no idea that it happened in the original game. Do you have a way to recreate it reliably?

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow...

I already had this happening when I was messing with the orbits code, but I had no idea that it happened in the original game. Do you have a way to recreate it reliably?
Sadly no, it just seemingly randomly happens from time to time. I have noticed that Jupiter system is more prone to it for some reason.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I've had something similar too. I was playing the game one day, and when I zoomed out far enough, the moon filled the screen. I didn't get a screenshot, and it has only happened once, but is something to keep in mind. Also, I play on the PC version, if that helps.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I've had something similar too. I was playing the game one day, and when I zoomed out far enough, the moon filled the screen. I didn't get a screenshot, and it has only happened once, but is something to keep in mind. Also, I play on the PC version, if that helps.
I had the same thing happen too, 2 times in two different planet packs, the difference being that it was just one body on top of me instead of all. I actually got a recording of that here, with Pluto:

Attachments

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I had the same thing happen too, 2 times in two different planet packs, the difference being that it was just one body on top of me instead of all. I actually got a recording of that here, with Pluto:
I didn't have a planet pack on, just the normal graphics.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Same bug happened to OkisiTitana today on the Mini Milky Way planet pack, he mentioned that he timewarped at a very high speed prior to it, i doubt that this caused it to happen though.
1674930082527.png

OkisiTitana

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
That bug happened again when I arrived into trappist 1 system (used my interstellar ship 6kk weight with 26k m/s speed) but I forgor to record it, damn

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
And I still have no clue whats causing it, Altaïr have you tried to report it? Maybe it can be figured out by someone else, cause as you can see it is very common.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
And I still have no clue whats causing it, Altaïr have you tried to report it? Maybe it can be figured out by someone else, cause as you can see it is very common.
I see. It's clearly an issue about the orbit code. Just one question, when you had this bug, did you have the navigation active at that moment? Or was a target set at that moment? The navigation code uses some complex algorithms, knowing if it's related to them would help.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I see. It's clearly an issue about the orbit code. Just one question, when you had this bug, did you have the navigation active at that moment? Or was a target set at that moment? The navigation code uses some complex algorithms, knowing if it's related to them would help.
Yeah i most likely have, that might be why it happens.

Also speaking of planet bugs, for some reason atmo gradients for large bodies dont show up since couple versions ago, i noticed it on couple of my planet packs, i thought i should also mention that.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'm not that surprised then... I'll tell the dev team about it. Until then, if you use the navigation, I recommend to turn it off as soon as you got your encounter to avoid the problem. Also please tell me if it still happens with navigation off.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm not that surprised then... I'll tell the dev team about it. Until then, if you use the navigation, I recommend to turn it off as soon as you got your encounter to avoid the problem. Also please tell me if it still happens with navigation off.
Cant really say for sure if that was always the case, but ok. Im kinda surprised that the navigation system can interfere with the actual physical game, since i always thought whatever happens in the map view does not influence gameplay view besides of course checking where your rocket is going and adjusting based on that.

astromax24

Man on the Moon
Registered
hey creisgn on my planet pack I have a gas giant, but when you land on it, you cannot fall to the surface of the texture, you land above it. I thought I should ask you. Please help

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well, I finally had something similar happening when testing ANAIS. I had a planet jump scaring me when I zoom out enough in world view. This happened with Venus when landing on it, and with Europa when flying into the jovian system.
The fix was easy though, I just had to zoom in, then switch back and forth between world and map view to restore everything. The trajectories were not altered, so as is it's not game breaking.

I'd like to know if this is a similar experience to what you experienced. I had my mod active, and this one rewrites a significant part of all orbit related stuff, so if there's a difference that would be a good hint about where to locate that bug.

I can't exclude that there's a bug in ANAIS of course, but since the trajectories remained unaltered this rather looks like a graphical bug.
Also, the planets with which it happened both had an atmosphere, I wonder if it's related to that.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Well, I finally had something similar happening when testing ANAIS. I had a planet jump scaring me when I zoom out enough in world view. This happened with Venus when landing on it, and with Europa when flying into the jovian system.
The fix was easy though, I just had to zoom in, then switch back and forth between world and map view to restore everything. The trajectories were not altered, so as is it's not game breaking.

I'd like to know if this is a similar experience to what you experienced. I had my mod active, and this one rewrites a significant part of all orbit related stuff, so if there's a difference that would be a good hint about where to locate that bug.

I can't exclude that there's a bug in ANAIS of course, but since the trajectories remained unaltered this rather looks like a graphical bug.
Also, the planets with which it happened both had an atmosphere, I wonder if it's related to that.
It's 100% not ANAIS related, it was occuring back in 1.4 i remember, of course on mobile which it occurs on to this day