Question about Delta IV Heavy staging

zackhere

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Hello! I'm Zack.

I'm currently making a replica (Not for Team Hawk) of the Delta IV Heavy. I was wondering how the stages worked.

Does it work like this?-
Screenshot_20240507-192256 (1).png

Or like this?-
Screenshot_20240507-192256 (2).png

zackhere

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
and DO NOT TALK ABOUT MY HORRIBLE HANDWRITING
(this is a joke btw slander all you want idrc)

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Thanks! I kept trying to look it up on Google and looked through countless videos on YouTube but I couldn't find the answer.
By replica its the actual size right? Because this does not look like the actual size

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Sorry, I guess I worded it wrong. It's more a recreation by memory.
Ah. Next time when you try to say replica, its by actual size and detailed to the best of your ability.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You can't recreate accurately the real staging sequence for the Delta IV Heavy.
In real, it starts with all 3 engines at full power:
Screenshot_20240508_050526_YouTube.jpg

Then inflight, the central engine is throttled down to save fuel. If you pay attention when watching a launch, you'll notice that the central engine appears to be less bright, and the exhaust is slightly shorter:
Screenshot_20240508_051944_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240508_052142_YouTube.jpg

This is what explains why the boosters run out of fuel before the central core. Then once the boosters are jettisoned the central core throttles up at full power again until fuel is depleted.

Unfortunately you can't recreate this accurately in SFS, since all engines have to run at the same power level.

UN Cosmo Navy

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
You can't recreate accurately the real staging sequence for the Delta IV Heavy.
In real, it starts with all 3 engines at full power:
View attachment 118595

Then inflight, the central engine is throttled down to save fuel. If you pay attention when watching a launch, you'll notice that the central engine appears to be less bright, and the exhaust is slightly shorter:
View attachment 118596
View attachment 118597
This is what explains why the boosters run out of fuel before the central core. Then once the boosters are jettisoned the central core throttles up at full power again until fuel is depleted.

Unfortunately you can't recreate this accurately in SFS, since all engines have to run at the same power level.
Except if you clip engines on top another and turn off some of the core engines. After jettison of the boosters, stage to turn it back on

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Except if you clip engines on top another and turn off some of the core engines. After jettison of the boosters, stage to turn it back on
Ah, good idea :)