Reddit SSTOs (1.5 Edition)

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Now that drag has been patched, reddit SSTOs have become impossible... Or have they? The challenge is to create the smallest SSTO you can.

You know the drill:
- No cheats
- No glitches
- Stock solar system

Good luck!

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Here's mine.
Screenshot_20200607-092849.png

I needed a steep ascent profile so I could get out of the drag as fast as possible.
Didn't have any pictures of the ascent. But here's the orbit.
Screenshot_20200607-092841.png

Screenshot_20200607-092812.png

Pretty simple rocket if you ask me, but it works.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah, the good old SSTO challenge... Hopefully Cosmo is not online right now :p

Here is my best:
Screenshot_20200607-175247_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
16.6 tons.

The mission:

First, right ascent:
Screenshot_20200607-175314_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then throttle reduction to pass Max Q and to help bending the trajectory:
Screenshot_20200607-175337_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then full spead ahead to gain horizontal speed, while still gaining altitude:
Screenshot_20200607-175349_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then throttle reduction again, to better control my trajectory, because most of the fuel is burnt, and my rocket has the TWR of a missile now:
Screenshot_20200607-175408_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200607-175509_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then engine cut-off, now that the apoapsis is just above the atmosphere, and when I reach it, full power until satellization:
Screenshot_20200607-175621_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200607-175627_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
2% of fuel remaining. Those are 225 kg of fuel I had in excess. Not too bad... :)

T

TtTOtW

Here is my best:
View attachment 38955
16.6 tons.

The mission:

First, right ascent:
View attachment 38956

View attachment 38957

View attachment 38958

Then throttle reduction again, to better control my trajectory, because most of the fuel is burnt, and my rocket has the TWR of a missile now:
View attachment 38962 View attachment 38963

Then engine cut-off, now that the apoapsis is just above the atmosphere, and when I reach it, full power until satellization:
View attachment 38964 View attachment 38965
2% of fuel remaining. Those are 225 kg of fuel I had in excess. Not too bad... :)
Dang Stig's killing it still!

Why2k4

Registered

Here is my best:
View attachment 38955
16.6 tons.

The mission:

First, right ascent:
View attachment 38956

View attachment 38957

View attachment 38958

View attachment 38962 View attachment 38963

View attachment 38964 View attachment 38965
The Same Craft weighs 18.8 tons in 1.406, did stef change the mass of certain parts?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
The Same Craft weighs 18.8 tons in 1.406, did stef change the mass of certain parts?
A lot of things have changed in 1.5 to make this kind of thing a realistic challenge. The grasshopper kolibri engines are much better, the aero works properly, parts are a little bit lighter

Why2k4

Registered
A lot of things have changed in 1.5 to make this kind of thing a realistic challenge. The grasshopper kolibri engines are much better, the aero works properly, parts are a little bit lighter
Imo they were already kinda OP, but that's awesome to know! cant wait for apple to approve the update!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Imo they were already kinda OP, but that's awesome to know! cant wait for apple to approve the update!
They weren't OP, used properly with the game in its correct state they'd never break the karman line in this set up.
Even now you may consider them over-powered, but the balance is actually really subtle if you look at how they relate to the other propulsion systems, especially RCS now

Why2k4

Registered
They weren't OP, used properly with the game in its correct state they'd never break the karman line in this set up.
Even now you may consider them over-powered, but the balance is actually really subtle if you look at how they relate to the other propulsion systems, especially RCS now
Good point, I was just thinking of in-space. with a probe, the smallest tank and a "Kolibri" you can go literally anywhere from LEO

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Good point, I was just thinking of in-space. with a probe, the smallest tank and a "Kolibri" you can go literally anywhere from LEO
They've kinda sorted that, everything is much further apart now (the orbits are 2.5x larger than 1.4) and to be fair, it shouldn't need that much to push such little weight about.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah true, you're on Ios. I hope for you it will come quickly :)
For the parts, fuel tanks haven't changed, the probe weighs 3 tons, the nose cone 0.1 tons, and the kolibri 0.5 tons.
However, when a fuel tank is adapted, its mass is now adjusted in proportion with its size, which wasn't the case under 1.4. Because of this, the fuel tank I use weighs 12.5 tons once resized, while the original part weighs 15 tons.
And yes, as you both said the kolibri is very powerful now.

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Quick tip: the top of fairings now stick to the top of probes now! A lot lighter than nose cones.
Screenshot_20200608-110748.png
Screenshot_20200608-110757.png

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Screenshot_20200608-113007.png
14.06t. I utilized the fact that ions are back and don't need electricity. I just used as many as I needed to get my TWR above 1.0.
Not sure if this is cheating though...
Screenshot_20200608-113626.png
Screenshot_20200608-113744.png
Screenshot_20200608-113837.png

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Nooooo! Stef, take back those ion engines please!
Nice trick, I didn't think about this :)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend