Rocket request

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Hi everyone. I'm new here so excuse me if I do something wrong.

Can someone post a rocket that can bring around 50 tonnes to martian orbit with enough fuel left to dock ? A slightly smaller payload is fine , It should just be able do this with a space station module.

Thanks ;)

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Hi everyone. I'm new here so excuse me if I do something wrong.

Can someone post a rocket that can bring around 50 tonnes to martian orbit with enough fuel left to dock ? A slightly smaller payload is fine , It should just be able do this with a space station module.

Thanks ;)
Hi welcome to the forums it's best you try your best to make you own and not asking others many people do what you asked but it's best you try first if not look at Blueprint Downloads

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Thanks for your concern. I'm only here because I've tried for a couple weeks to build a rocket that can dock modules around mars. I can get a 50 tonne payload to Mars orbit but I just can't get there with enough fuel to dock.

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Could we see one of the rockets you tried to do this with? Maybe we can help you improve that rocket instead of making a new one.

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Try replacing some of the 4w tanks in the fairing with 6w ones. The TWR of your stage doesn't really matter in orbit.

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Alright, cool. If you still run out then I would recommend using the atmosphere to slow down so you don't spend as much fuel.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I'd also alter the fuel distribution of the stages / boosters.

As in, the boosters are too massive and the core is too small.

From a quick look, you want 50t payload, the TMI stage roughly weighs another 45t.
Your core stage under that could be say 150t of fuel and a pair of frontiers.
Boosters, 50t with a hawk each side for a 350t mass all up. Same shape and weight, little less power.
Light everything , by the time the hawk boosters come off, the core should be down to sub 100t so the frontiers will have positive TWR to continue the flight and should get you to LEO with the TMI stage and payload intact. If not, add fuel to the core stage (or try a different flight path) gradually through testing until it does.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hi Soyuzturtle ,

Your rocket needs some rebalancing between the main core and the boosters indeed.
I've made one for you, using only free parts, with the build space that's available for you (as apparently you play with base game):
Screenshot_20200707-085652_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The payload is the silver part, it weighs nearly 50 tons.
If you fly it well, the boosters and the first stage are normally enough to reach orbit. Then the upper stage can perform the injection burn. You'll have a decent quantity of remaining fuel, but you'll have to aerobrake to be able to insert it in Low Mars Orbit.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I'd also alter the fuel distribution of the stages / boosters.

As in, the boosters are too massive and the core is too small.

From a quick look, you want 50t payload, the TMI stage roughly weighs another 45t.
Your core stage under that could be say 150t of fuel and a pair of frontiers.
Boosters, 50t with a hawk each side for a 350t mass all up. Same shape and weight, little less power.
Light everything , by the time the hawk boosters come off, the core should be down to sub 100t so the frontiers will have positive TWR to continue the flight and should get you to LEO with the TMI stage and payload intact. If not, add fuel to the core stage (or try a different flight path) gradually through testing until it does.
Hi Soyuzturtle ,

Your rocket needs some rebalancing between the main core and the boosters indeed.
I've made one for you, using only free parts, with the build space that's available for you (as apparently you play with base game):
The payload is the silver part, it weighs nearly 50 tons.
If you fly it well, the boosters and the first stage are normally enough to reach orbit. Then the upper stage can perform the injection burn. You'll have a decent quantity of remaining fuel, but you'll have to aerobrake to be able to insert it in Low Mars Orbit.
Thanks guys , here is my station so far.
Screenshot_2020-07-07-09-36-46-900_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
This is a thread I like to see! Build a man a rocket and he can do a mission, but teach a man to build a rocket and he can do any mission he wants.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
You could move a small moon with all those rcs :eek:
Looks good though, I wish I could overcome my compulsion to make everything symmetrical

But beware, all those separate tanks will lag the game eventually;
Using ‘welded fairings’ for hab units can minimize this
Never heard of those welded fairings. How do I build them ?

Never heard of those welded fairings. How do I build them ?
Capping a fairing with an oversized port is the handiest, or tying an inserted part with structural parts, anything that holds flat on the end of the fairing and ties it together on at least one end;
There are parts with tiny gaps you might think will work but won’t
012C5FF9-0FBD-483A-9F73-BE75C428B16E.jpeg
Such as this won’t work cuz of that gap between the port and fairing:
7D7FBD48-D10D-47F4-BAF3-5E6CC6843155.jpeg

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Capping a fairing with an oversized port is the handiest, or tying an inserted part with structural parts, anything that holds flat on the end of the fairing and ties it together on at least one end;
There are parts with tiny gaps you might think will work but won’t View attachment 41457 Such as this won’t work cuz of that gap between the port and fairing: View attachment 41458