Rover Suspension

Gene

Discord Staff
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I was looking at NASA's Rocker-bogie suspension used on the Perseverance and Curiosity rovers and thought it looked very cool.

This suspension allows the main body to be stable while driving over rough terrain. As you can see in this gif it has only two hinges attached to one another
Rocker_bogie.gif

I then wondered if I could build a functional version in SFS, and it turns I could:

Video of suspension
1633772296815.png

Keep in mind this rover was not designed with aesthetics in mind, and I'm sure it could be massively shrunk down.

Attachments

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I was looking at NASA's Rocker-bogie suspension used on the Perseverance and Curiosity rovers and thought it looked very cool.

This suspension allows the main body to be stable while driving over rough terrain. As you can see in this gif it has only two hinges attached to one another
View attachment 73929

I then wondered if I could build a functional version in SFS, and it turns I could:

Video of suspension
View attachment 73931
Keep in mind this rover was not designed with aesthetics in mind, and I'm sure it could be massively shrunk down.
Well, hinges and wheels are good combination for rocket bogie. Nice one.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Also stef said
He will never add hinge to game.
Noooo, no no. So NO folding or NO tilting doors, NO circle habitats that can rotate to make "gravity" effect. Stef, please uncall this. And release new version of app.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Noooo, no no. So NO folding or NO tilting doors, NO circle habitats that can rotate to make "gravity" effect. Stef, please uncall this. And release new version of app.
It's not that he doesn't want, but apparently it would be very complicated to do, he would have to rehaul the collision system and so on.