Second stage reusability concept

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
This is a concept I thought of for the reuse of second stage engines (in real life). This probably has been discussed before, but I thought I would share my take on it. The purpose of this is to save the most expensive part of the second stage, the engines. It works as follows.
Screenshot_20200706-152148.png

The initial flight stage goes just as it would normally.
Screenshot_20200706-152200.png

Then, the engine detaches from the stage. This part is pretty much just the engine, some reaction control systems, a heat shield and some fuel.
Screenshot_20200706-152221.png

This smaller assembly enters the atmosphere protected by the heat shield.
Screenshot_20200706-152250.png

It then deploys its parachutes and lands safely. This is easier than landing the whole stage, and not to mention cheaper. It also wouldn't consume too much fuel or add too much mass, meaning the efficiency of the rocket isn't greatly decreased. What do you guys think? Feel free to discuss.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
This is a concept I thought of for the reuse of second stage engines (in real life). This probably has been discussed before, but I thought I would share my take on it. The purpose of this is to save the most expensive part of the second stage, the engines. It works as follows.
View attachment 41406
The initial flight stage goes just as it would normally.
View attachment 41407
Then, the engine detaches from the stage. This part is pretty much just the engine, some reaction control systems, a heat shield and some fuel. View attachment 41408
This smaller assembly enters the atmosphere protected by the heat shield.
View attachment 41409
It then deploys its parachutes and lands safely. This is easier than landing the whole stage, and not to mention cheaper. It also wouldn't consume too much fuel or add too much mass, meaning the efficiency of the rocket isn't greatly decreased. What do you guys think? Feel free to discuss.
Very cool looking!

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Thanks guys!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Nice concept :)
That's how ULA plans to reuse the first stage engines on their new Vulcan launcher. They don't plan it for the second stage though.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Welp in real life situation reusin a second stage is a nightmare to those goin to reuse it.

1.it will add mass
2.gettin it more complex
3.travellin at orbital speed
4.heat shield
5.reducin its payload capacity because its goin to add more things in 2nd stg

Forgot the others....

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Thou that is a nice Build :D :D

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I've seen this concept on a KSP video. You guys think it could be implemented in real life?

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I've seen this concept on a KSP video. You guys think it could be implemented in real life?
Earlier I thought that SpaceX would implement it, but I think right now they are focusing on Starship and Starlink