Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Once again, I do not see how would we miss the system you are proposing by clipping some fuel tanks. The system is supposed to be for mass to orbit, not size. Also, you still haven’t explained me why do you think the Lancaster is better than the Mosquito.
Idk, I've heard of the lancaster, and it's cool. Never heard of the mosquito except from Horus a week ago or so.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Am I gonna have to illuminate you with an educational piece on the Mosquito in the Aviation section of the forum...?

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I feel like I should be ashamed... But I don't know why. :oops:

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I feel like I should be ashamed... But I don't know why. :oops:
Allegedly:
Hermann Göring said:
"In 1940 I could fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now!” he famously said. “It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminum better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building….They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops.”

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Not allegedly. He was complaining about the Mossie cos 3 of them turned up just as he was about to give a speech commemorating the 10th anniversary of the Reich and bombed the radio broadcast facility, knocking him off the air.

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Does this even look like a shuttle? No fairings but add landing legs as secure, can carry a Unity type fuel tank 100% to orbit but needs space station to go to the moon. Unloaded cargo bay can go to 400km-600km and do rescue missions easy and hard only in Earth Orbit

Attachments

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Clipping fuel tanks doesn't change anything in my way of designing shuttles :salty:
In fact, the rear of my 1.5 shuttles have clipped fuel tanks, and that makes it hard to do VTOL since there's more mass in the rear...

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So the fairing should be clipped inside the fuel tank not the struct right?

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So the fairing should be clipped inside the fuel tank not the struct right?
for me, i'm adding a hidden struct for fairing to be sure it would hold..

and also,

idk what class my shuttle was...

T

TtTOtW

Does this even look like a shuttle? No fairings but add landing legs as secure, can carry a Unity type fuel tank 100% to orbit but needs space station to go to the moon. Unloaded cargo bay can go to 400km-600km and do rescue missions easy and hard only in Earth Orbit
That just needs a way to attach a payload, and you have an F or E Class Shuttle. Depends whether it can take a full 30t payload to orbit or not.

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
That just needs a way to attach a payload, and you have an F or E Class Shuttle. Depends whether it can take a full 30t payload to orbit or not.
Can take three sats(One small, two mid) to LEO. Make a Unity to the Space Station but only on 40%-50% of fuel. Found if you are at 40% You can do a TLI with the shuttle but never orbit it. Well I put docking ports on the thing if it is a space station or put it faceing the sats if it is not a space station mission. I also can make bigger space in the back for a bit and use the docking port on the head of the shuttle. But I really need that for one fuel tank to the space station which most I got from my super fast rocket which the side boosters can be still make the thing frping fast:

Attachments

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Shuttles are classed according to size, cargo bay dimensions and payload to orbit.

A shuttle by definition cannot reach orbit from Earth with a payload without its booster/ET (External Tank). Therefore a Shuttle is definitively not an SSTO. Here is the classification table of Shuttles in SFS:

- An F Class Shuttle can take 30t of 100% full fuel tanks, or less, in a 4 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit.
- An E Class Shuttle can take 31t to 75t of 100% full fuel tanks in a 6 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit.
- A D Class Shuttle can take 76t to to 120t of 100% full fuel tanks in an 8 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit.
- A C Class Shuttle can take 121t to 200t of 100% full fuel tanks in a 10 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit.
- A B Class Shuttle can take 201t to 300t of 100% full fuel tanks in a 12 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit.
- An A Class Shuttle can take 301t, or more, of 100% full fuel tanks in a 14 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit.
*** All above classes require that the orbiter and booster/s/ET all fit in a 1.5 DLC build grid, and are not assembled after launch, nor do tanks overlap other tanks, whether it be the orbiter, ET or payload.
- An X Class Shuttle can take a payload of 100% full fuel tanks that fill its cargo bay, in an at least 14 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit. The orbiter fits in the standard 1.5 DLC build grid, but the booster/s/ET does not fit along with it, and needs to be launched separarely and assembled before launch by a means of your choosing, due to size constraints.
- A Q Class Shuttle can take a payload of 100% full fuel tanks that fill its cargo bay, in an at least 14 wide fairing, fully enclosed, to orbit. The orbiter alone does not fit in the standard 1.5 DLC build grid, irrespective of whether the booster/s/ET by itself does or does not, and needs to be launched separarely and assembled before launch by a means of your choosing.
***As with F to A Classes, fuel tanks may not overlap one another for X and Q Class Shuttles.

If you do not use fairings, there needs to be a defined space of equal capacity in its place, and the qualification payload may not extend outside it for this purpose.

If fairings are used, losing the door does not disqualify the shuttle.

Payload bays must contain at least one usable docking port for load retention.

Modular Shuttles gets an -L added to the Class designation, i.e. DL Class Shuttle. Modular Shuttles will be classed according to the finished size of the launch stack.

If by constraint there is minor overlapping of tanks not exceeding 1% of total fuel tank mass unloaded, and excluding ET, it will be overlooked. This limitation is extended to 2.5% for IOS users as long as the primary reason is the inability to edit.

All shuttles will be disqualified from official classification if it requires any cheats whatsoever after launch.
so how about 1kiloton of payload and slightly bp edited fairing for payload bay?

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Shuttle:
Screenshot_20210211-120843.png

Not a shuttle:
Screenshot_20210211-120850.png

TtTOtW, is that how it works? :p

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Ha, see above for points.

I was going to do this exact same thing once I'd got around to doing the shuttle challenge, make an SSTO with the tiniest SRB strapped to the side and call it Shuttle McShuttleface.
I've wanted to do this for long...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Also, Venturestar. Space PLANE. Not Space SHUTTLE. And a pathetic fraction of the capacity.
GIVE IT A BOOSTER
And I've just noticed this. Venturestar could lift 20,000kg to orbit with a 'thrust reserve', meaning that number could be much higher. Which isn't a "pathetic fraction" of STS capability. Max lift to LEO was 27,000kg for STS. 16,000kg to the ISS. Venturestar could do the same as STS.
Same sized payloads, cheaper and safer, without boosters.