Shuttle Crew

Ok, my first no edit Shuttle...

Mission: reach space, set a small sat in orbit, drop booster, land

6DA9F242-E20B-4851-8FD3-CFC23BAC1A75.png

Takes a bit of rcs nudge to keep it leaning to the right...I should try an upside down attitude next time
196A1262-0346-4053-8903-62970B6069C1.jpeg

Reached suborbit and release
774588C9-C79C-47CB-A3F0-41FEC886921D.png

rcs for a proper orbit...and return to ship
E7B547BC-5A31-431B-B89E-6D95C3921070.jpeg
B243F5B3-912B-4C2A-8A1C-0ADA6208AAC4.png
02678714-B479-4802-8F9D-A8A69FA7FAED.png

Not the usual space plane sort of approach
D56AB6D5-44F8-42BE-AAE1-C57039593510.jpeg
9F43F9E2-BFA1-416D-A85B-5E14293234FC.jpeg
5A0C84A9-7ACF-4462-889A-8C23402D7F30.png

T

TtTOtW

View attachment 27288
Takes a bit of rcs nudge to keep it leaning to the right...I should try an upside down attitude next time
View attachment 27287
View attachment 27289
View attachment 27290 View attachment 27291 View attachment 27292
View attachment 27293 View attachment 27294 View attachment 27295
Congratulations... You have made your first honest shuttle.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered

View attachment 27288
View attachment 27287
View attachment 27289
View attachment 27290 View attachment 27291 View attachment 27292
View attachment 27293 View attachment 27294 View attachment 27295
From my experience the parachutes are unnecessary so long as you can land on your wheels. Those wheels can take quite the beating.

T

TtTOtW

But it makes a nice graceful forward roll with the chutes, but I’ll try a hard landing when I try no rcs launch inns bit
I used 'chutes on my first 3 generations of cargo shuttles, and as replaceable units on the 4th for heavy loads. Can land without them, but it's a good failsafe. Go ahead, 'chute down. No problem with that.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I used 'chutes on my first 3 generations of cargo shuttles, and as replaceable units on the 4th for heavy loads. Can land without them, but it's a good failsafe. Go ahead, 'chute down. No problem with that.
Yeah, It's really fun propulsively landing the SCS. Now that I think about it though, I haven't done it with my new phone yet... maybe it'll be able to take the load better than my old one.

T

The Dark in the Light

Are bp. edited shuttles allowed? only the wheels are on mine and do any of you know how to make sure the bloody rocket doesn't flip backwards? I don't know how to. I also don't have a payload bay b/c I also don't know how build a proper one. Here's a screenshot:
Screenshot_2019-10-20-18-14-22.png

T

TtTOtW

First off, the cargo bay. Use the fairings. But you'll have to replace the RTGs behind the cockpit with a 6x2 tank, then take out the parachute that tucks in beneath it and place a 1x1 structural block in that small gap. Then take out the 6x2 and 6x14 tanks you currently have and replace it with five 6 wide fairings. Now you have a cargo bay. And better balance.

Next step: before you fly, activate fuel transfer from the booster to the rear shuttle tank. Then when EVENTUALLY it wants to flip again, just turn off the lower Titan on the booster and pop it off when empty.

Provide docking ports in the front or rear of the cargo bay to make it useful for long term use.

T

The Dark in the Light

First off, the cargo bay. Use the fairings. But you'll have to replace the RTGs behind the cockpit with a 6x2 tank, then take out the parachute that tucks in beneath it and place a 1x1 structural block in that small gap. Then take out the 6x2 and 6x14 tanks you currently have and replace it with five 6 wide fairings. Now you have a cargo bay. And better balance.

Next step: before you fly, activate fuel transfer from the booster to the rear shuttle tank. Then when EVENTUALLY it wants to flip again, just turn off the lower Titan on the booster and pop it off when empty.

Provide docking ports in the front or rear of the cargo bay to make it useful for long term use.
Pictures? I'll send a bp. as soon as i

T

The Dark in the Light

Hows this? I still can't get the door to keep a fuel tank and probe attached to it so I've kept it out of the picture
Screenshot_2019-10-21-15-33-49.png
?

T

The Dark in the Light

Also I used this design except I added different boosters, and I got to orbit, docked with a fuel tank, refueled, and then landed on moon after using 87% of my fuel then used the RCS when my main tank ran out and my Cosmonauts safely made it to earth. 2 things to add: I had a telescope/satilite payload and that fuel tank behind the capsule is the one is used with RCS.
Hows this? I still can't get the door to keep a fuel tank and probe attached to it so I've kept it out of the picture View attachment 28296 ?

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, Etherian Space Program here's a quick tutorial on how to make shuttle doors on SFS.

First of all, I told you
to secure the fairing.
. I assumed you knew what "secure a fairing is". My mistake, sorry. This is what secure a fairing is. (IGNORE THE FLAT TEXTURES).
Picture1.png

I think this image is self-explainable. Those structs are securing the fairing. That's what I was referring to.

Now, on a shuttle you usually secure both fairings, but not like the example above. Here's the cargo door I've designed for your shuttle.

Screenshot_20191022-113351.png

See? I'm securing the right fairing to the body of the shuttle, while the left one, although secured to the probe, is free to move. So, how to open it.
Picture3.png

You need to touch the docking port attached to the capsule, the 4-wide separator and the bottom docking port, that will open the door. Now, all you have to do is to dock the door somewhere, and the door will be opened!

To close it, simply move the shuttle with RCS and dock the 2-wide docking port on the right side of the probe, to the 4-wide docking port on the shuttle itself.
Picture2.png

I hope you see it more clear now :) Now this method works, not only with your shuttle, but with any shuttle and payload door you are going to design. Now, on this post I'm attaching the fixed bp of the vessel AND a quicksave file with the shuttle already in orbit, so you can try the door. Download TtTOtW's Archie shuttle too, so you can have another version.

Attachments

T

The Dark in the Light

Okay, Etherian Space Program here's a quick tutorial on how to make shuttle doors on SFS.

First of all, I told you . I assumed you knew what "secure a fairing is". My mistake, sorry. This is what secure a fairing is. (IGNORE THE FLAT TEXTURES). View attachment 28308
I think this image is self-explainable. Those structs are securing the fairing. That's what I was referring to.

Now, on a shuttle you usually secure both fairings, but not like the example above. Here's the cargo door I've designed for your shuttle.

View attachment 28309
See? I'm securing the right fairing to the body of the shuttle, while the left one, although secured to the probe, is free to move. So, how to open it. View attachment 28311
You need to touch the docking port attached to the capsule, the 4-wide separator and the bottom docking port, that will open the door. Now, all you have to do is to dock the door somewhere, and the door will be opened!

To close it, simply move the shuttle with RCS and dock the 2-wide docking port on the right side of the probe, to the 4-wide docking port on the shuttle itself. View attachment 28313
I hope you see it more clear now :) Now this method works, not only with your shuttle, but with any shuttle and payload door you are going to design. Now, on this post I'm attaching the fixed bp of the vessel AND a quicksave file with the shuttle already in orbit, so you can try the door. Download TtTOtW's Archie shuttle too, so you can have another version.
Thank you so much! Also is it possible to put the door on the other side of the bay? Just curios cuz it would mean I wouldnt use as much fuel for RCS. If my friend decides to build shuttles can I show him this?

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Thank you so much! Also is it possible to put the door on the other side of the bay? Just curios cuz it would mean I wouldnt use as much fuel for RCS. If my friend decides to build shuttles can I show him this?
Of course to both questions. Yes, you can put the mechanism on the other side, in fact, I recommend it. And yes, you can show it to your friend :)
I've tried to teach some of my friends, but apparently they get disapointed when they see the real purpose of this game.