Flexilis Anatis

Eater of Waterfowl
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
A better look at the space station from earlier. I built it before I knew any of the techniques that I do now (and before I knew how to design and fly a good rocket) which is why it’s all solar arrays. Still, it is by far my best build from back when I had the free version,
547A4E61-164A-40BE-B56E-34A310F8F1AF.png

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
A better look at the space station from earlier. I built it before I knew any of the techniques that I do now (and before I knew how to design and fly a good rocket) which is why it’s all solar arrays. Still, it is by far my best build from back when I had the free version,
View attachment 34214
Very nice! And the best of all, this is entirely base-game!
Jez 10 you've seen this?

My really flimsy shuttle that can just make it into low earth orbit (this was built without the full version) and the cargo bay is a work in progress
20408674-6071-4AC7-8B0E-52BB155E2F6F.png

No for some apparent reason when the wheels break the separators will hover above the ground but still can be destroyed it’s a extra procation

T

TtTOtW

Unamed you can't expect your door to work if:
1) it is attached or wedged in at both ends,
2) you have no control over it,
3) you have no way to re-attach it, and
4) you have no place to keep it when open.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Unamed you can't expect your door to work if:
1) it is attached or wedged in at both ends,
2) you have no control over it,
3) you have no way to re-attach it, and
4) you have no place to keep it when open.
Can you remember where it was that tutorial I made for Etherian Space Program a long time ago, about shuttle cargo doors?
I think I could use it here for Unamed too.

T

The Dark in the Light

Okay, Etherian Space Program here's a quick tutorial on how to make shuttle doors on SFS.

First of all, I told you
Blazer said:
to secure the fairing.
. I assumed you knew what "secure a fairing is". My mistake, sorry. This is what secure a fairing is. (IGNORE THE FLAT TEXTURES).

I think this image is self-explainable. Those structs are securing the fairing. That's what I was referring to.

Now, on a shuttle you usually secure both fairings, but not like the example above. Here's the cargo door I've designed for your shuttle.

See? I'm securing the right fairing to the body of the shuttle, while the left one, although secured to the probe, is free to move. So, how to open it.

You need to touch the docking port attached to the capsule, the 4-wide separator and the bottom docking port, that will open the door. Now, all you have to do is to dock the door somewhere, and the door will be opened!

To close it, simply move the shuttle with RCS and dock the 2-wide docking port on the right side of the probe, to the 4-wide docking port on the shuttle itself.

I hope you see it more clear now :) Now this method works, not only with your shuttle, but with any shuttle and payload door you are going to design. Now, on this post I'm attaching the fixed bp of the vessel AND a quicksave file with the shuttle already in orbit, so you can try the door. Download TtTOtW's Archie shuttle too, so you can have another version.

(Here it is, thanks Roger Jolly, It was in the shuttle crew thread. I just copied an pasted it.)

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, Etherian Space Program here's a quick tutorial on how to make shuttle doors on SFS.

First of all, I told you
Blazer said:
to secure the fairing.
. I assumed you knew what "secure a fairing is". My mistake, sorry. This is what secure a fairing is. (IGNORE THE FLAT TEXTURES).

I think this image is self-explainable. Those structs are securing the fairing. That's what I was referring to.

Now, on a shuttle you usually secure both fairings, but not like the example above. Here's the cargo door I've designed for your shuttle.

See? I'm securing the right fairing to the body of the shuttle, while the left one, although secured to the probe, is free to move. So, how to open it.

You need to touch the docking port attached to the capsule, the 4-wide separator and the bottom docking port, that will open the door. Now, all you have to do is to dock the door somewhere, and the door will be opened!

To close it, simply move the shuttle with RCS and dock the 2-wide docking port on the right side of the probe, to the 4-wide docking port on the shuttle itself.

I hope you see it more clear now :) Now this method works, not only with your shuttle, but with any shuttle and payload door you are going to design. Now, on this post I'm attaching the fixed bp of the vessel AND a quicksave file with the shuttle already in orbit, so you can try the door. Download TtTOtW's Archie shuttle too, so you can have another version.

(Here it is, thanks Roger Jolly, It was in the shuttle crew thread. I just copied an pasted it.)
That's the One! Thank you, Etherian, and Thank you Roger Jolly.

Unamed, there's everything you need to know about shuttle cargo doors. Of course If you need to know anything else, just ask.