Single Stage To Moon

I

ItsSiem

Well I'm sure you all know the concept of a SSTO(single stage to orbit). But now mine can land on the moon!
Screenshot_20190217-202318.png
Screenshot_20190217-202248.png

Heh. That would be no one.
I challenge you guys to land on the moon and come back in one piece using as few parts as possible.
That's a nice high horse you've got there. It would sure be a shame if something were to... happen to it.

Sorry, not great with memes. Just spacecraft. I decided to see if I could land on the moon with, say, 3 parts.

Screenshot_20190218-163716_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Not really any way to improve on that. How much delta-v does it have? Eh, nobody knows. Let's see if it explodes!

So I flew to the moon and landed. Wow, I had fuel left! Like 8%. I know, quite an angle, but it balanced.
Screenshot_20190218-161714_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Well, now what? So I decided to see if I could make it back.

Yep, intercept set for earth. 2% fuel. Drat, no parachute. I figured I might as well give it a try before I rebuilt my ship.

Screenshot_20190218-163254_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Not exactly easy... it was quite a suicide burn. But yes, I flew to the moon, landed, and returned safely without any cheats or modifications of any kind and with only three parts.

Edit: do I get the award for ugliest moon SSTL? :D

Last edited:

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
That's a nice high horse you've got there. It would sure be a shame if something were to... happen to it.

Sorry, not great with memes. Just spacecraft. I decided to see if I could land on the moon with, say, 3 parts.

View attachment 13695

Not really any way to improve on that. How much delta-v does it have? Eh, nobody knows. Let's see if it explodes!

So I flew to the moon and landed. Wow, I had fuel left! Like 8%. I know, quite an angle, but it balanced. View attachment 13696

Yep, intercept set for earth. 2% fuel. Drat, no parachute. I figured I might as well give it a try before I rebuilt my ship.

View attachment 13697

Not exactly easy... it was quite a suicide burn. But yes, I flew to the moon, landed, and returned safely without any cheats or modifications of any kind and with only three parts.
I'm not even mad because I set the 6 part record in October. Honestly, it's about time someone beat it.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

View attachment 13695

So I flew to the moon and landed. Wow, I had fuel left! Like 8%. I know, quite an angle, but it balanced. View attachment 13696

View attachment 13697

Edit: do I get the award for ugliest moon SSTL? :D
Wow, now it's sure that no one would beat that, since you can't go below 3 parts.

Wow, now it's sure that no one would beat that, since you can't go below 3 parts.
Kinda like in Cataan, with the Knights and Cities pack. You can get a "university" with some upgrades, but unless you get the last upgrade, it can be taken by a player who does get that last upgrade. You can hold a record, but the first person to do a thing in its simplest form will always hold the record.

Anyway, Mercury SSTL?

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Kinda like in Cataan, with the Knights and Cities pack. You can get a "university" with some upgrades, but unless you get the last upgrade, it can be taken by a player who does get that last upgrade. You can hold a record, but the first person to do a thing in its simplest form will always hold the record.

Anyway, Mercury SSTL?
0_o

Ha. I made the lightest(88.6t) and smallest SSTM in this thread with only bas game parts. I lost the part challenge though.

Screenshot_20191210-015054_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20191210-015354_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20191210-012625_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

• Quiet, efficient engines(Boardsword LF)
  • Weight on the lower end of rocket standards.
  • LOTS of living space(the fairings)
  • Still under development
20191210_022734.jpg

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ha. I made the lightest(88.6t) and smallest SSTM in this thread with only bas game parts. I lost the part challenge though.
That's a nice record you got there. Would be a shame if something...

...Happened to it...​

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
You guys are useless, i made a Single Stage to Pluto, as well as a Single Stage to Triton.

Would be a shame if something...Happened to it
It's math time
download.jpeg

• Required dV: 2800(reach LEO) + 821(reach Low Lunar orbit) + 30(landing estimate) = 3651 m/s
  • Frontier Isp: 285
  • Dry mass: 2.5(probe) + 8(engine) + 2(landing legs) = 12.5
  • Calculated in terms of 10t tanks with 9t fuel.
3651 = 285*9.8 * ln[(12.5 + 10x)/(12.5 + 1x)]
x=5.34

Total mass = 12.5+10(5.34)= 65.9t MINIMUM, IDEAL(if I didn't screw up on math)

There are other factors and I made some daring assumptions, so I doubt you can beat my record practically.