Skilled Pilot Required

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, so I was on a boring Moon mission, and everything was going smooth as silk, up to the point when I tried to open the right landing leg. Well, it turns up that I accidentally touched the engine, disabling it. I desperately tried to restart it, but it was covered in a fairing, so I ended up crashing on the Moon.

I tried to return by burning through the interstage, with the upper stage. But I didn't had enough TWR even on this low gravity, so I crashed again at 50 m/s, severely landing the craft...

The craft entered a deadly spin, but somehow, I managed to control it (well, I actually impacted the moon a third time), and return to LEO.

So, when you download and install the qks file I'm going to attach, you should see something like this:
Screenshot_20200114-152447.png

As you can see this craft:

• Lost its parachutes.
  • Lost an RCS.
  • Lost its docking port, what means a rescue mission is impossible.
  • Lost a Solar Panel.
  • Has a single Ion Engine, which you can't use cause you have no power supply.
  • Lost an engine, which means has a severely low TWR and is highly unstable.

The only way to save the pilot is a crash landing. That's where you come in.

The challenge is to land this spacecraft and SAVE ITS COSMONAUT.

No other part, but the capsule has to survive.

The rules:
  • No cheats, of course.
  • No bugs, drag must be on.
  • The capsule must survive the reentry.
The Russian Cosmonaut knows his only option is a crash landing, and he's willing to take the risk.

All you have to do is download and install this quicksave.

No matter how impossible this challenge seems, IT IS POSSIBLE to succeed. I've done it.

I just want to see how you guys do it. Good luck, the life of comrade Yefremov depends on you!

The quicksave:

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ta-da!
Screenshot_20200114-220835.png
Did enough survive?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Yes, as long as the capsule survives. He'll be alive. But seriously it is possible to do better.
Oh, I know. ;)
That was just a first attempt.
No doubt that it's possible to grease it in without breaking anything.

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Okay, so I was on a boring Moon mission, and everything was going smooth as silk, up to the point when I tried to open the right landing leg. Well, it turns up that I accidentally touched the engine, disabling it. I desperately tried to restart it, but it was covered in a fairing, so I ended up crashing on the Moon.

I tried to return by burning through the interstage, with the upper stage. But I didn't had enough TWR even on this low gravity, so I crashed again at 50 m/s, severely landing the craft...

The craft entered a deadly spin, but somehow, I managed to control it (well, I actually impacted the moon a third time), and return to LEO.

So, when you download and install the qks file I'm going to attach, you should see something like this:
View attachment 31868
As you can see this craft:

• Lost its parachutes.
  • Lost an RCS.
  • Lost its docking port, what means a rescue mission is impossible.
  • Lost a Solar Panel.
  • Has a single Ion Engine, which you can't use cause you have no power supply.
  • Lost an engine, which means has a severely low TWR and is highly unstable.

The only way to save the pilot is a crash landing. That's where you come in.

The challenge is to land this spacecraft and SAVE ITS COSMONAUT.

No other part, but the capsule has to survive.

The rules:
  • No cheats, of course.
  • No bugs, drag must be on.
  • The capsule must survive the reentry.
The Russian Cosmonaut knows his only option is a crash landing, and he's willing to take the risk.

All you have to do is download and install this quicksave.

No matter how impossible this challenge seems, IT IS POSSIBLE to succeed. I've done it.

I just want to see how you guys do it. Good luck, the life of comrade Yefremov depends on you!

The quicksave:
Have done a lot of crash landing
Oh well...