Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
What's the rocket for? Maybe you can make the second stage smaller.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Actually I don't have a mission prepared for that rocket
Well, your rocket needs a mission. Usually the mission is something like "bring this many tonnes to LEO/etc". Then you can make it better.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I need that you guys help me making this rocket better
Actually I don't have a mission prepared for that rocket
I would say as my first piece of advice is decide what your rocket is going to do. There's no obvious payload area, so it's not a lifter, there's no docking ports so it's not a tanker and it's too big for exploration. It's a good looking ship, but it has no purpose (which technically makes it art, but that's a different discussion).

Also, we've no idea where you want it to go either.

That being said then I'm going to make some general suggestions off the top of my head, mostly pertaining to engines.
  • Fully assembled, that's going nowhere. The completed rocket is about 600t overweight or under powered, whichever you want to call it, for the first stage engines to lift. The second stage is similarly 300tons off as well. Several ways you can get around this (without shedding weight).
    • Second stage:
      • Either add more engines or change the engines currently fitted. A titan between the frontiers would be the quickest fix that you could then turn off once that stage is down to about 60-50% fuel
      • Alter the fuel balance between the 2 stages, so the whole rocket weighs the same, but the second stage is about 500-600t and then fit 2 more frontiers to said stage.
    • First stage, again, you need more thrust. 2 titans worth at least. This is where things can get complicated.
      • The easiest fix is to do your overlap trick and slide a pair of titans in with the 4 already there.
      • You can go the MOAR BOOSTAZ route but because the core is so underpowered as it is, the boosters will need to still be attached for at least 60% of the core burn time, meaning the boosters are going to be pretty damn big. I'd say at least 270tons each side, powered by a pair of titans each.

If it were my rocket?
  • Delete all the RCS. I know you're using them for the zero-g assembly, but I'll come to that shortly
  • Cover the nose shape from the start of the outward taper to nose with fairings
  • Delete everything inside the fairing.
  • Make a 3rd stage, starting at the base of the taper covered by the fairing, powered by a pair of (or even a single, depending on if it's in orbit by this point or not) frontiers and enough fuel tanks to build up to where the fairing is widest.
  • Everything above that is your payload space.
  • Put a titan between the 2 pairs of frontiers
  • Create a tapered, open skirt on the base of the second stage using fairings wide enough to accept the first stage. This will protect the engines and flat top of the first stage from airflow and reduce drag
  • Remove the bottom fuel tank from the first stage and replace with a pair of the same width, but half height tanks
  • Place a pair of titans so they're attached to the second of these new tanks, then they'll not just overlap, but they'll be staggered height wise and be easier to turn on. This is your normal version and save separately from the one you were just working on. You'll need that original in a moment.
Then I'd make an MLV (maximum lift variant, or what they call now, a 'Heavy').
  • Start with the original version you saved just now (as in, the 4 engined core).
  • Put down 2 titans as close to the core engines and as close together themselves as you can get them. You may need to stagger the inner engine upwards slightly to clear the fin.
  • Put 270-300t of fuel on top of said engines, using tanks as close to their width footprint as possible.
  • Pop a cone on top
  • Copy to the other side
  • Add the biggest separators you can between the boosters and the core. You shouldn't need more than 2 per side.
  • Save.
The MLV version won't lift anymore weight (because you're capped with the second stage TWR) than the normal one, but the first stage will burn out much higher, meaning that it's capable throwing the weight it is lifting a whole lot further.

Now I can hear you crying about assembly. Don't worry, I've got your back.
When you come to load the sections, before you launch:
  • Place some separators onto various flat areas of the section you've loaded, with the 'top' of the separator attached ton the hull of the rocket. Place RCS blocks to the 'bottom' of them.
  • This way, they'll act as normal when it comes to the pad assembly, but before launch you can separate them away and leave the rocket aerodynamically smooth for launch.
Are there more ways to skin this? Absolutely. That's the beauty of the game, there's practically infinite ways to make this work. I've a 5 engined core, single engined booster design in my head as well, and I've not even started with the optimisation either because you've got no payload or destination in mind.
Which isn't a bad thing. Not enough people build shit for the sake of building something cool and seeing where it goes, rather than (and I'm a big offender for this, think Insight was the last time I built something and then thought 'I wonder if this will fly') making a ruthlessly efficient rocket for a job specification.
Neither approaches are wrong, but it's good to see someone just making stuff they think is cool.

Jryeem

Man on the Moon
Registered
I would say as my first piece of advice is decide what your rocket is going to do. There's no obvious payload area, so it's not a lifter, there's no docking ports so it's not a tanker and it's too big for exploration. It's a good looking ship, but it has no purpose (which technically makes it art, but that's a different discussion).

That being said then I'm going to make some general suggestions off the top of my head, mostly pertaining to engines.
  • Fully assembled, that's going nowhere. The completed rocket is about 600t overweight or under powered, whichever you want to call it, for the first stage engines to lift. The second stage is similarly 300tons off as well. Several ways you can get around this (without shedding weight).
    • Second stage:
      • Either add more engines or change the engines currently fitted. A titan between the frontiers would be the quickest fix that you could then turn off once that stage is down to about 60-50% fuel
      • Alter the fuel balance between the 2 stages, so the whole rocket weighs the same, but the second stage is about 500-600t and then fit 2 more frontiers to said stage.
    • First stage, again, you need more thrust. 2 titans worth at least. This is where things can get complicated.
      • The easiest fix is to do your overlap trick and slide a pair of titans in with the 4 already there.
      • You can go the MOAR BOOSTAZ route but because the core is so underpowered as it is, the boosters will need to still be attached for at least 60% of the core burn time, meaning the boosters are going to be pretty damn big. I'd say at least 270tons each side, powered by a pair of titans each.

If it were my rocket?
  • Delete all the RCS. I know you're using them for the zero-g assembly, but I'll come to that shortly
  • Cover the nose shape from the start of the outward taper to nose with fairings
  • Make a 3rd stage, starting at the base of the taper covered by the fairing, powered by a pair of (or even a single, depending on if it's in orbit by this point or not) frontiers and enough fuel tanks to build up to where the fairing is widest.
  • Create a tapered, open skirt on the base of the second stage using fairings wide enough to accept the first stage. This will protect the engines and flat top of the first stage from airflow and reduce drag
  • Remove the bottom fuel tank from the first stage and replace with a pair of the same width, but half height tanks
  • Place a pair of titans so they're attached to the second of these new tanks, then they'll not just overlap, but they'll be staggered height wise and be easier to turn on. This is your normal version and save separately from the one you were just working on. You'll need that original in a moment.
  • Start with the original version you saved just now (as in, the 4 engined core).
  • Put down 2 titans as close to the core engines and as close together themselves as you can get them. You may need to stagger the inner engine upwards slightly to clear the fin.
  • Put 270-300t of fuel on top of said engines, using tanks as close to their width footprint as possible.
  • Pop a cone on top
  • Copy to the other side
  • Add the biggest separators you can between the boosters and the core. You shouldn't need more than 2 per side.
  • Save.
The MLV version won't lift anymore weight (because you're capped with the second stage TWR) than the normal one, but the first stage will burn out much higher, meaning that it's capable throwing the weight it is lifting a whole lot further.

• Place some separators onto various flat areas of the section you've loaded, with the 'top' of the separator attached ton the hull of the rocket. Place RCS blocks to the 'bottom' of them.
  • This way, they'll act as normal when it comes to the pad assembly, but before launch you can separate them away and leave the rocket aerodynamically smooth for launch.
Are there more ways to skin this? Absolutely. That's the beauty of the game, there's practically infinite ways to make this work. I've a 5 engined core, single engined booster design in my head as well, and I've not even started with the optimisation either because you've got no payload or destination in mind.
Which isn't a bad thing. Not enough people build shit for the sake of building something cool and seeing where it goes, rather than (and I'm a big offender for this, think Insight was the last time I built something and then thought 'I wonder if this will fly') making a ruthlessly efficient rocket for a job specification.
Neither approaches are wrong, but it's good to see someone just making stuff they think is cool.
I will never read this hahahahahaha i am lazy at reading ❎❎

Berg

Registered

• Second stage:

If it were my rocket?
  • Pop a cone on top
  • Copy to the other side
  • Save.

I think this is more to make another rocket than improve this one

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I think this is more to make another rocket than improve this one
Well, in that those points are generally good rocket building tips, yes. It is though specifically written for improving the rocket in the original post, especially the more specific things that won't work quite right for another rocket