Some really, really, really complicated math that I may or may not need help with

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
To be honest, taking drag into account will really be a pain.

The drag value is something like rho×S×v^2/2, with:
- rho: atmospheric density, which decreases exponentially with altitude (don't know if that's actually like that in game though)
- S: the surface exposed to drag. It depends on your rocket, but also on the direction of the relative wind: drag will vary with your rocket orientation.
- v: speed. Because this term is squared, it makes all attempts of formal resolution a real mess.

At the moment it's not possible to evaluate all these terms, and in practice, the total delta-V lost because of drag will also depend on the trajectory you follow o_O

Even if you manage to calculate a value, it will only be valid if you follow exactly the trajectory used for the calculation.
To be honest I don't think it's worth it :rolleyes:

E

Earlmilly1

To be honest, taking drag into account will really be a pain.

The drag value is something like rho×S×v^2/2, with:
- rho: atmospheric density, which decreases exponentially with altitude (don't know if that's actually like that in game though)
- S: the surface exposed to drag. It depends on your rocket, but also on the direction of the relative wind: drag will vary with your rocket orientation.
- v: speed. Because this term is squared, it makes all attempts of formal resolution a real mess.

At the moment it's not possible to evaluate all these terms, and in practice, the total delta-V lost because of drag will also depend on the trajectory you follow o_O

Even if you manage to calculate a value, it will only be valid if you follow exactly the trajectory used for the calculation.
To be honest I don't think it's worth it :rolleyes:
Ok, change of plans then… For now It will be a "really really worst case scenario"
It will calculate DV loss (discluding trajectory (that is going to be maybe auto-chosen based on an orbit, or more likely, just guesstimated.) It will take off 20-30% more DV than a normal launch would. (assuming it is an optimal launch) hope that works!

E

Earlmilly1

Ok, change of plans then… For now It will be a "really really worst case scenario"
It will calculate DV loss (discluding trajectory (that is going to be maybe auto-chosen based on an orbit, or more likely, just guesstimated.) It will take off 20-30% more DV than a normal launch would. (assuming it is an optimal launch) hope that works!
And for surface area exposed, I'm going to ask the surface area of all the stages, then average surface area exposed to the high drag from like 10 areas of ascent, and 10 different ascents