Space tethers?

Surfylion

Man on the Moon
Registered
When I was building on the pad, the long tower I was using to prevent heat dmg decided to spin and that got me thinking: could we make a kind of space tether in sfs, that could increase/decrease speedby spin?

My idea is as follows
1.get a long tube in orbit (verrrrry long)
2. Have docking ports on each side
3. Spin it up with engines
4. Dock at low point and unlock at high

Would this work?

DioSpaghetti

Man on the Moon
Registered
When I was building on the pad, the long tower I was using to prevent heat dmg decided to spin and that got me thinking: could we make a kind of space tether in sfs, that could increase/decrease speedby spin?

My idea is as follows

Would this work?
Yes, someone did something like that with an artificial gravity ring which had an elevator that would take you to an inner ring and outer for different gravity

Surfylion

Man on the Moon
Registered
The spinning without rockets only works of you do not unload it, not very useful for free energy. Maybe it should not spin until a ship docks

DioSpaghetti

Man on the Moon
Registered

My idea is as follows

Would this work?
Like it would grab you from the atmosphere and take you out of the atmosphere and into orbit?

mariohobbs

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Ye something like that
Probably work better on small places like the moon or the captured asteroids, the game starts to freak out if any build is too large lol, and something that reaches from the launchpad on earth to space probably would make the game unhappy.