Starlink Challenge

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
We all have probably heard of SpaceX's Starlink program. So why not bring it to Spaceflight Simulator? Here is the design that you MUST follow.
(The left one is the usual design, the right one is the probe design used for controlling the rocket at liftoff)

Screenshot (136).png

The goal:
Launch 15 or more Starlink satellites into Earth orbit.

Requirements and Rules:

1. Launch at least 15 satellites (duh)
  2. Cheating is not allowed(Includes no engine heat and no part damage)
  3. Part clipping is allowed
  4. Rocket must weigh less than 900 tons(includes payload)
  5. You can delete dumped stages AS LONG AS they are also in orbit and aren't on a trajectory to burn up in the atmosphere.
  6. Reusability is allowed, but not required.
  7. Cannot be a manned mission, just use a probe starlink aka above
  8. Show photos for all of the following:
  • Blueprints(Interior view ON)
  • Liftoff
  • Orbit
  • Passage of the Karman line
  • ALL satellite separations
  • Map(or actual screen) showing all the satellites in a safe orbit
All people who meet the previous requirements have completed the challenge, but I'll give a shoutout to whoever is able to launch the most Starlink sats in ONE launch.

My attempt:

Blueprints:
Screenshot (135).png

Liftoff:

Screenshot (113).png

Passage of the Karman line:

Screenshot (116).png

Orbit:

Screenshot (117).png

Satellite separations:

Screenshot (118).png

Screenshot (119).png

Screenshot (120).png

Screenshot (121).png

Screenshot (121).png

Screenshot (122).png

Screenshot (123).png

Screenshot (124).png

Screenshot (125).png

Screenshot (126).png

Screenshot (127).png

Screenshot (128).png

Screenshot (129).png

Screenshot (130).png

Screenshot (131).png

I would post more, but I ran out of file space. I'll post the rest in the comments.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
The rest of the Satellite separations:

Screenshot (132).png

Screenshot (133).png

All the Starlink satellites in a safe orbit:

Screenshot (134).png

You can't see them can't you? Oh well. I launched the bare minimum, 15 satellites. Let's see how many satellites others can launch all at once. And for those attempting the challenge, May the Force be with you, and good luck!

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
22 satellites! Pushing the launch mass limit but I did have a good 10-15 tons of fuel left at the end.
With an optimised launch vehicle and optimised assent path I think that 30 is possible. Did on second attempt 1st was successful with 18!

Attachments

Last edited:

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Nice! But now that you pushed the limits, others will by trying to.
I know, and I plan on making further attempts! I bet 50 is going to be near impossible but 30 is quite realistic. Considering the lack of interest so far as long as I don't doddle I recon I can at the very least be the first to hit 25

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I know, and I plan on making further attempts! I bet 50 is going to be near impossible but 30 is quite realistic. Considering the lack of interest so far as long as I don't doddle I recon I can at the very least be the first to hit 25
True.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
31 fist BP edit with this rocket but still with Fuel to spare! Done for today but will probably have another go tomorrow! 40 pushing it but definitely possible. 15 is quite easy in my opinion but that might be because I'm in Team Hawk.

Attachments

Last edited:

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
41 did have a 35 in between but don't feel the need to show that as well. Tomorrow optimisation coming which might get me to 50. I already have some plans but please let me know if you see any ways that I can optimise the rocket / deploy system.

Attachments

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
51! Has anyone got a chance or am I the only one who even cares!

Attachments

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Last edited:

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Thanks 1st attempt at 57 failed! I will do some more work but I think this is my limit! (at least for a 900 ton launcher) I'm working on on a similar challenge but with vehicle limit of 1000 tons. I did get to 899.91 with my 31 one.

Last edited:

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Of course you can use the left sat. I said it's the usual design, so it's preferred. In my opinion, I think it looks better. Include at least one probe sat, or else you can't control the rocket!
I went for the right because it's lighter-just makes sense.

S

Sportgus

Was Ganna take fuel out of it but that's just cheesing it and not realistic in the challenge. I'm having a lot of trouble getting more than 55, could you send a video of your flight or a few vital screenshots to help please

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Was Ganna take fuel out of it but that's just cheesing it and not realistic in the challenge. I'm having a lot of trouble getting more than 55, could you send a video of your flight or a few vital screenshots to help please
I'll see if I can redo the mission and record it although I didn't save the blueprint. Post your best attempt so far anyway.

Last edited:
S

Sportgus

Here's my submission
Screenshot_20230119-214726.png

Screenshot_20230119-214741.png

Screenshot_20230119-214901.png

Screenshot_20230119-214928.png
Screenshot_20230119-214926.png
Screenshot_20230119-220004.png
Screenshot_20230119-220031.png

50 satellites :D could've probably got 53 or so but I don't care. I'm not that good :cool:

Your rocket is interesting, you have it so there's only one very efficient stage with two strong booster to pull it. I haven't gone to deep into this strategy, is it more efficient than doing traditional 3 stage rockets?

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Here's my submission
View attachment 96698
View attachment 96699
View attachment 96700
View attachment 96701 View attachment 96704 View attachment 96702 View attachment 96703
50 satellites :D could've probably got 53 or so but I don't care. I'm not that good :cool:

Your rocket is interesting, you have it so there's only one very efficient stage with two strong booster to pull it. I haven't gone to deep into this strategy, is it more efficient than doing traditional 3 stage rockets?
Not sure but it reduces potentially unnecessary Engine and Separator mass.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Here's my submission
View attachment 96698
View attachment 96699
View attachment 96700
View attachment 96701 View attachment 96704 View attachment 96702 View attachment 96703

Idkgeeks or mine?