Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Nice, really satisfying anwser to my question ;)
Ha, enough for you?

couldn't they make the shuttle more viable, with room for upgrades, and stick it on a Sat5 first stage?
They could have. Although there is nearly a 10 year gap between Saturn V retiring and Shuttle coming into service.
Although Saturn V (the first and second stages of) could lift a fully loaded Shuttle to space, modifying the second stage to fit and the VAB would need extending as well in fit the stack in.

And why on earth did they abandon constellation just to make a simplified version later?
Money. Constellation / Ares costs were spiralling. Obviously with 2020 vision we know now that the replacement would also become a money pit, but back then they didn't know that. Cancelling it was an easy budget win for the 'current' administration and 'resetting' the program with a lower target should have cost less to achieve.
Obviously they didn't factor in Boeing doing Boeing things.

Marmilo and 4KidsOneCamera. This one is for you.

Hmmm. I wanted to say I don't "hate" SLS, but I was sitting here thinking of how to word it so.

And realised I couldn't.

So yeah. I do hate SLS.

I hate its lack of imagination and ambition. I hate the stolen parts, the delays, the budget over-run, the design. I hate the fact that it is less capable than the rocket it is replacing and the system it is stealing from.

But what I hate most about the Space Launch System, the thing that tears my soul above all other things about it is this.

It is necessary.

Because without it, NASA has less invested in rocketry than Scotland.

Let that sink in.

NASA, the pioneers who turned small steps into giant leaps and outright winners of the Space Race, would be behind Scotland in terms of rocket capability if it wasn't for its back catalogue of old parts and SLS. Running that by myself in my head whilst typing this, I couldn't believe it. Surely not?
Well, if you know of one that I (and google) don't, then by all means tell me.

But, what has this got to do with Starship?

Everything.

Now I can't comment on the launch system itself in absolute technical terms, purely because even SpaceX aren't sure how it will perform yet. They've got ideas, predictions and design requirements, but nothing hard, set in stone yet. So to compare it in terms of mass to orbit or launch weight is ultimately futile.

However, to compare it in terms of why I despise SLS is easy. (All points made below assume SpaceXs current claims become true)
There is no lack of imagination or ambition. As a design, it looks like every rocket every 6yr old boy has ever drawn crossed with a DeLorean. I thought it was a fictional fan-art when I first seen it. It's not just gonna be practical, it's gonna look fucking cool doing it. As a project, it doesn't get more ambitious than changing the world.
Well, actually it does. Starship isn't designed to change this world. It's designed to allow us to change another world.

The entire system is completely bespoke. The engines are unique, the launch booster, Starship itself carries nothing in from another launch system. It's not a copied hash of anything other than being a flying pop culture reference.
Yeah, it's been delayed some, but they are building it new, from scratch. And very little of what they are doing has been done before.

Then we come onto capabilities. In terms of payload to orbit, 100t+ (according to the SpaceX website I checked an hour ago) isn't gonna set the world on fire. But that's cos you're thinking about it wrong. Starship isn't just a rocket, it's a rocket / spaceplane / station / lander all in one package.
As a rocket, total delivery mass to orbit (including itself) obliterates the current payload record held by Saturn V.
As a spaceplane, it's capable of delivering at least 5 times more mass than the Space Shuttle could to LEO.
As a space station, a fully fueled Starship sat in LEO post re-fuel will weigh more than and be more self sufficient with crew for longer than the International fucking Space Station.
As a lander, it combines a go anywhere, take whatever you need, land on anything, live for as long as it needs to and come back again ability that nothing else is even contemplating doing.
Want to talk ambition? Imagine making a thing that can simultaneously replace Saturn V, the International Space Station, the Space Transport System, Space Launch System, Gateway and the Artemis lander, be better than all of these at what they do, do it fully re-useable and make it cheaper per kilo than shipping things by air freight on Earth.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a SpaceX fan boy. I'm sick and bloody tired of the thousand Starship clones people make/copy (make your own rockets you swines) (I say this as 4kids posts a revamped Starship on the forum, ooops), nothing is for certain yet of what it can actually do and regardless of if it does, for me the Saturn V will always be king.
Don't @ me, it just fucking is. And any comments to the negative of this is punishable by decree exterminatus.

But in my unbiased, objective opinion, Starship is gonna sit up there with Concorde, Saturn V and the Hadron Collider as examples of engineering brilliance for generations to come.
Lets take a moment to look at starship/dragon…
SpaceX has created a new future and deign for space flight. The fact that NASA is the face of space flight cant design a rocket that is less capable and uses the old ditch-LES, solid rocket boosters, non-reusable first stage will just increase cost and they have to build a new rocket for every launch but they cant even design a rocket that can turn eyes just upsets me. Moreover this gives me space shuttle vibes its not reusable, sustainable and will increase value. Also as a environmentally conscious person this makes me upset. I know that NASA is going to rely on private space companies and had a budget cut from 1969 but still… you can do better. Nasa won the space race now its making me rethink that. Its was ether Nasa engineers were great or that the solvets engineers were just terrible. I cant describe how upset i am with the SLS

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Marmilo and 4KidsOneCamera. This one is for you.

Hmmm. I wanted to say I don't "hate" SLS, but I was sitting here thinking of how to word it so.

And realised I couldn't.

So yeah. I do hate SLS.

I hate its lack of imagination and ambition. I hate the stolen parts, the delays, the budget over-run, the design. I hate the fact that it is less capable than the rocket it is replacing and the system it is stealing from.

But what I hate most about the Space Launch System, the thing that tears my soul above all other things about it is this.

It is necessary.

Because without it, NASA has less invested in rocketry than Scotland.

Let that sink in.

NASA, the pioneers who turned small steps into giant leaps and outright winners of the Space Race, would be behind Scotland in terms of rocket capability if it wasn't for its back catalogue of old parts and SLS. Running that by myself in my head whilst typing this, I couldn't believe it. Surely not?
Well, if you know of one that I (and google) don't, then by all means tell me.

But, what has this got to do with Starship?

Everything.

Now I can't comment on the launch system itself in absolute technical terms, purely because even SpaceX aren't sure how it will perform yet. They've got ideas, predictions and design requirements, but nothing hard, set in stone yet. So to compare it in terms of mass to orbit or launch weight is ultimately futile.

However, to compare it in terms of why I despise SLS is easy. (All points made below assume SpaceXs current claims become true)
There is no lack of imagination or ambition. As a design, it looks like every rocket every 6yr old boy has ever drawn crossed with a DeLorean. I thought it was a fictional fan-art when I first seen it. It's not just gonna be practical, it's gonna look fucking cool doing it. As a project, it doesn't get more ambitious than changing the world.
Well, actually it does. Starship isn't designed to change this world. It's designed to allow us to change another world.

The entire system is completely bespoke. The engines are unique, the launch booster, Starship itself carries nothing in from another launch system. It's not a copied hash of anything other than being a flying pop culture reference.
Yeah, it's been delayed some, but they are building it new, from scratch. And very little of what they are doing has been done before.

Then we come onto capabilities. In terms of payload to orbit, 100t+ (according to the SpaceX website I checked an hour ago) isn't gonna set the world on fire. But that's cos you're thinking about it wrong. Starship isn't just a rocket, it's a rocket / spaceplane / station / lander all in one package.
As a rocket, total delivery mass to orbit (including itself) obliterates the current payload record held by Saturn V.
As a spaceplane, it's capable of delivering at least 5 times more mass than the Space Shuttle could to LEO.
As a space station, a fully fueled Starship sat in LEO post re-fuel will weigh more than and be more self sufficient with crew for longer than the International fucking Space Station.
As a lander, it combines a go anywhere, take whatever you need, land on anything, live for as long as it needs to and come back again ability that nothing else is even contemplating doing.
Want to talk ambition? Imagine making a thing that can simultaneously replace Saturn V, the International Space Station, the Space Transport System, Space Launch System, Gateway and the Artemis lander, be better than all of these at what they do, do it fully re-useable and make it cheaper per kilo than shipping things by air freight on Earth.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a SpaceX fan boy. I'm sick and bloody tired of the thousand Starship clones people make/copy (make your own rockets you swines) (I say this as 4kids posts a revamped Starship on the forum, ooops), nothing is for certain yet of what it can actually do and regardless of if it does, for me the Saturn V will always be king.
Don't @ me, it just fucking is. And any comments to the negative of this is punishable by decree exterminatus.

But in my unbiased, objective opinion, Starship is gonna sit up there with Concorde, Saturn V and the Hadron Collider as examples of engineering brilliance for generations to come.
I'd like this if I could

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Lets take a moment to look at starship/dragon…
SpaceX has created a new future and deign for space flight. The fact that NASA is the face of space flight cant design a rocket that is less capable and uses the old ditch-LES, solid rocket boosters, non-reusable first stage will just increase cost and they have to build a new rocket for every launch but they cant even design a rocket that can turn eyes just upsets me. Moreover this gives me space shuttle vibes its not reusable, sustainable and will increase value. Also as a environmentally conscious person this makes me upset. I know that NASA is going to rely on private space companies and had a budget cut from 1969 but still… you can do better. Nasa won the space race now its making me rethink that. Its was ether Nasa engineers were great or that the solvets engineers were just terrible. I cant describe how upset i am with the SLS
SLS is nicknamed the Senate Launch System for a reason: those with the power to force its development are in Congress, not NASA.
It was a "ok" idea for NASA to be able to do its things.... 10 years ago.
It's been delayed so long that the landscape has changed, huge rockets are now being worked on by private companies and they're not as expensive. Compared to that, SLS is a dinosaur.

Rockets in general seem to have transitioned from a cutting edge and unprofitable technology that only governments can develop to being something that the commercial sector can handle alright with a bit of financial and technical help.
That means rockets should no longer be the main purview of NASA.
What NASA should be doing now is more of the cutting edge unprofitable stuff. High-tech probes, technical research, exploration, sponsoring new things... That's what NASA's always been good at, the stuff private companies can't or won't do because it's too unprofitable. Now NASA don't need to dedicate as much work to making the bus that carries their things to space.