JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
If we are to make bases on planets, there should be a way to generate fuel and refuel rockets.
there is land a load of fuel tanks on every planet

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
its not possible to generate fuel

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
its not possible to generate fuel
It is possible, though it's not especially easy, and it depends on where.
For example, the NASA plans to extract water from the Moon's soil (some craters in the South pole are never enlighted by the Sun, so there's a bit of frozen water in them), and to separate it into hydrogen and oxygen. The energy necessary for such an operation would be provided by solar panels. And there you have your fuel :)

In my mind, such a feature could be interesting ingame, but then the whole game should be rebalanced. It's already quite easy to visit the whole solar system, this would make it way too easy.

It is possible, though it's not especially easy, and it depends on where.
For example, the NASA plans to extract water from the Moon's soil (some craters in the South pole are never enlighted by the Sun, so there's a bit of frozen water in them), and to separate it into hydrogen and oxygen. The energy necessary for such an operation would be provided by solar panels. And there you have your fuel :)
Isn't there a big amount of oxygen chemically trapped in lunar regolith already ?
Combining that with aluminium/metall powder could make a good hybrid rocket motor.
Correct me if im wrong, because I don't know the exact makeup of lunar soil.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Not only moon, Space X mission includes extraction of methane as a fuel from the atmosphere of Mars.
And extraction of water from ground.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Isn't there a big amount of oxygen chemically trapped in lunar regolith already ?
Combining that with aluminium/metall powder could make a good hybrid rocket motor.
Correct me if im wrong, because I don't know the exact makeup of lunar soil.
Yes, certainly. At least because water is made of oxygen. But then you would have to extract the metal from the Moon too. Certainly doable, at least in theory, but the decomposition of water already gives you both hydrogen and oxygen, which is already the most efficient fuel. I don't know much about hybrid engines, but their specific impulse is still way below LOX/LH2. Which means we will need much more propellant. In the end, the most efficient solution is also the simpler one, so why not going with this one? :)

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
Not only moon, Space X mission includes extraction of methane as a fuel from the atmosphere of Mars.
And extraction of water from ground.
Not extraction but creation of it. What you need is CO2 and H2O to make that work and that's harder then NASA's plan.

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Well, if you’re having fuel generators, you have got to have them require shitloads of electricity and and create even more shitloads of heat.

BANDWITH You would need to put a possibly buggy nuclear reactor on the moon to use the Helium-3 in the regolith; then, you can get another buggy fuel generator which would delay the game by causing god-knows-how-many rewrites; then, if you have it on multiplayer servers, it could be destroyed in three seconds by griefers or by literal whos that crash their big-ass spaceship or rocket that took 2 minutes to make and launch to the moon into a lunar colony that took you 50 hours to make, causing lag and server crashes.

Look, in multiplayer LARP, ground bases are useless. Only if you launch 50 fuel tanks into the orbit of the moon can you actually use the fuel tanks (this can be done by just packing shit in expendable rockets). Of course, there can be "rules of war", but some troll could just ruin it all. Ground bases are good for propaganda purposes or to maintain control in an area, but only orbiting space stations or destroyers can actually be good at garrisoning and defending the area.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
BANDWITH You would need to put a possibly buggy nuclear reactor on the moon to use the Helium-3 in the regolith; then, you can get another buggy fuel generator which would delay the game by causing god-knows-how-many rewrites; then, if you have it on multiplayer servers, it could be destroyed in three seconds by griefers or by literal whos that crash their big-ass spaceship or rocket that took 2 minutes to make and launch to the moon into a lunar colony that took you 50 hours to make, causing lag and server crashes.

Look, in multiplayer LARP, ground bases are useless. Only if you launch 50 fuel tanks into the orbit of the moon can you actually use the fuel tanks (this can be done by just packing shit in expendable rockets). Of course, there can be "rules of war", but some troll could just ruin it all. Ground bases are good for propaganda purposes or to maintain control in an area, but only orbiting space stations or destroyers can actually be good at garrisoning and defending the area.
We aren't talking about multiplayer and multiplayer is probably never coming. We aren't talking about helium 3 we are talking about what we can do today with the tech and resources we have available of we were to launch tomorrow.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

***Breaking News***

Spaceflight Simulator doesn't have a multiplayer mode. So 90% of your words are invalid.

Also, why would the reactor/generators be buggy?

Ik. I'm saying when MULTIPLAYER COMES AROUND, you incessant LARPer.
I just think that new items = might be buggy. They could create fuel out of nothing on a spacecraft if a glitch or exploit was found in the code.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
Ik. I'm saying when MULTIPLAYER COMES AROUND, you incessant LARPer.
I just think that new items = might be buggy. They could create fuel out of nothing on a spacecraft if a glitch or exploit was found in the code.
Your acting like it will in the sfs is single player and will be that way probably for its entire lifespan. So idk how I'm a "larper" when your the one who's trying to rp so seriously rn about multiplayer being a thing. It's not a when multiplayer comes out it's a huge if

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I'm saying when MULTIPLAYER COMES AROUND, you incessant LARPer.
If multiplayer comes along, then there'll be a bit more control over how and where players interact than having a one million player server with noobs leerrrooooyyyyy jjeeennnnkins-ing themselves into your moon base.

The lag of so many players alone is going to have much, much more an effect than a single orbital crash.

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered

Wow.
Thank you.
This is actually the second time someone on the internet has decided to get out of their way and try and make me look bad. Thats my job, guy.
And what’s all of this “possibly buggy” and “extremely lengthy updating times”? If stef is a good developer, he would have put in part systems to allow for making new parts easy.
OH FUCKING WAIT. THATS WHAT 1.5 DOES.

ALSO, I don’t have the patience to launch 50 fuel tanks to the moon.

Do you come from a MMORPG server or something? None of what you said made sense in a normal SFS standpoint.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend

What's all this? I think you're on the wrong forum...

On-Topic.
BANDWITH How am I defaming you? I was just offering input. Now, this has devolved into a bunch of angry forum users getting on the bandwagon.
Mooncrasher That's nice talk for someone in a faction who puts badges on the pfp.
Horus Lupercal Practically Everyone in the RP section are counting on Multiplayer to come out in, let's say 2028.
Zeeray13 I wasn't talking to you.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
@Horus Lupercal Practically Everyone in the RP section are counting on Multiplayer to come out in, let's say 2028.
Well, I bid them good luck in a functioning multiplayer sometime this decade that fixes (amongst many, many other things) the issue of timewarp between players. Until then, it's going to have to stay RP (Role-Play) rather than an actual MMORPG.

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
On-Topic.
BANDWITH How am I defaming you? I was just offering input. Now, this has devolved into a bunch of angry forum users getting on the bandwagon.
Mooncrasher That's nice talk for someone in a faction who puts badges on the pfp.
Horus Lupercal Practically Everyone in the RP section are counting on Multiplayer to come out in, let's say 2028.
Zeeray13 I wasn't talking to you.
I don't care your pissing off everyone here so I would choose your words carefully. It's not everyone getting on the bandwagon it's you pissing off everyone.