Swwbah-marine

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
And that's the Falklands War. The only people that call the Islands Las Malvinas are the starters / losers of that conflict, and their opinion is thus invalid
In all the maps I've consulted they appear as: Malvinas (UK), BUT I have no right to discuss your opinion, cause you guys won indeed.

(Thank god we weren't involved in that war:oops:).

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
(Thank god we weren't involved in that war:oops:).
Nope. It was a pretty brutal conflict. My regiment was heavily involved (before my time) and some of the stories/alleged incidents I've heard from those days

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Anyone ever heard of the Typhoon? Its the biggest submarine in the Soviet Navy, and if I'm correct, its still the biggest submarine in the world
Russian_Typhoon-class_submarine.jpg

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Anyone ever heard of the Typhoon? Its the biggest submarine in the Soviet Navy, and if I'm correct, its still the biggest submarine in the world View attachment 28564

Typhoon? Nah, never heard of it...

Submarines? As soon as I seen this thread, there's only one (F/R) submarine/film I could think of.

View attachment 28162

Cue the music and the Connery...

Comrades, this is your captain. It is an honor to speak to you today, and I am honored to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our motherland's most recent achievement.
Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The American Navy. For forty years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well.
But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets.
Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the silent drive.
Comrades, our own fleet doesn't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our fleet behind, we will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills.
Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Havana, where the sun is warm, and so is the comradeship.
A great day, comrades. We sail into history.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
But its called Typhoon in NATO code. Project Akula for the Russians, however there is a huge difference between this one and the attack-class Akula.
Both the subs in your post and the Red October are NATO termed Typhoon class nuclear submarines.
The Akula/Pike (Russian/NATO named respectively) subs are much smaller.

Gecko Gekkota

Former Empress of the AE
Forum Technician
A fact: of all the nuclear submarines ever built (R) there is only ONE that has ever used a torpedo against an enemy ship. A British submarine whose name I can't remember (forgive me Gecko Gekkota), against the Argentinean Battlecruiser ARA General Belgrano, during the Malvina War.
That's quite interesting

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Horus Lupercal , this the place where your next waffling post will take place :)

Here's the story:

I've seen in several media, like documentaries and that stuff, US Navy Veterans of the Cold War being interviewed about their machines. Well, many of them say they were, in multiple times, just below massive Soviet surface fleets, just doing "scientific research", and that the Soviets never knew they were there. In fact, one of them said: "Not a single American submarine was ever caught following a Soviet fleet".

And here's the conflict. A Soviet (well, Russian since 1991) veteran says his submarine once was, guess what? just below a massive American fleet, that was trying to shoot a missile, and they event sent a ping with the active sonar, so the Americans know they were there, to make them desist from launching the missile. They desisted.

Well, both sides claim there submarines were undetectable, and they were never caught during espionage maneuvers.

So I wanted to hear your opinion. What do you think about this?

Is this propaganda, or is it true? Is this exagerated? Which side do you think is right? Maybe both?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
this the place where your next waffling post will take place
Ha, it might be if i knew anything about naval warfare...

They could be both telling the truth, to an extent. Shadowing fleets is kinda what attack subs do and I've no doubt that a surface force will have by accident or design 'driven over the top' of a praying running very silently sub.

However, the second claim of a soviet sub driver giving his position away to avert WWIII seems a little bit too much of a stretch.
  1. How do you 'try' and launch a missile. The US Navy surface fleet don't try, they either launch one, or don't launch one.
  2. How did the sub driver know that the ship was launching/about to launch a missile? The first real signs a ship is going to fire a tomahawk is when the missile leaves the launcher, it's not like it broadcasts it on twitter or makes a noise like a tube flooding. That and the majority of the US' first strike capability (same with the UK) is through SSBN type subs and even though there is a small amount of nuclear tipped tomahawks about, WWIII would be heralded by a massive sub launched ballistic missile strike, not a few slow moving cruise missiles.
  3. If the sub driver thinks that there is a nuclear missile launch happening, then they are at war. Pinging the ships is only going to give his position away, not stop the launch. The next thing that will happen is the explosive compression of the sub after the destroyers find and well, destroy it.
It all seems a bit Tom Clancy to me. I can just imagine some Scottish sounding Russian sub captain going
external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

And the crew being like 'why don't we just fire captain?'.

Although imagine if it is true, and being the sonar operator on one of the US ships as this loud as fuck sonar ping bangs out from nowhere.

This story is likely a mash up of an actual real event that nearly started WWIII during the Cuban Missile Crisis.