Talks about SFS upcoming Updates...

I can understand why astronauts are useless, but why such effort to oppose them?
Worst case they will be somewhat amusing for a moment

Apart from giving iOS a better solar system to play in, making more hurdles to consider in mission design is what will progress the game and keeping astronauts and re-entry craft cool and pressurized is fine by me;
Where’s that G-meter anyway?

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Because zooming in means you see even less of the base you've brought along with you. Zooming out to see the base makes your astronauts a dot on one side. Zooming in to see the astronauts clearly means going in so close that you'll see maybe one of the base modules. That is because it is bi-dimensional. If the game was tri-dimensional, then you could orientate the POV to include the astronauts in the foreground with the base in the background.
Its just a matter of choosing the right zoom. You want to see your astronaut? Zoom in. You want to see the next building you have to jump over because Its a 2D world? Zoom out. Easy as pie.

SFS does have astronauts. They're inside the small cone shaped capsule, where they should be. And the game is more about the, you know,...rockets...than the humans.
SFS does NOT have astronauts. The only mention of astronauts is on the description of the capsule.

Hell, I can simply edit the description of the capsule and say someone else is in there...
_20200807_180823.JPG

And which tasks will these be...? EVA repairs, in a game without scalable damage? All the functionality of all the parts can be controlled IVA or remotely.
Yes, why not?

The same way YOU are pretending there are small astronauts inside the capsule, only because the game description says so, I can stick astronauts to the side of a satellite and pretend they are repairing it.

I mean really, why not? We make Space stations with Fairings and interstages, why we cannot pretend our astronauts are repairing stuff?

Unless you're gonna remove some functionality just to make the astronauts relevant?
Of course not, astronauts need their OWN functionalities, like taking surface samples or atmospheric readings.
Because from experience with little people in space games, they're an embuggerance and a waste of dry mass when I can do absolutely nothing with them.
Then you have absolutely no imagination, Sir.

They are as important to ANY Space Program in the world as space stations or landers are.

Also, a waste of dry mass? How heavy can an astronaut be? 90 kg? Remove a single 1x1 struct out of your rocket and you'll compensate the weight.

So, Horus Lupercal, your move...

T

The Dark in the Light

Now I have a motive to destroy capsules. First one will go into the Sun, second will smash into the moon, third will be shot out of the solar system.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Now I have a motive to destroy capsules. First one will go into the Sun, second will smash into the moon, third will be shot out of the solar system.
There it is. Another reason to have Astronauts: people wants to have fun.

Please don't get me wrong.

Once again, SFS is a game, not a fucking way of life. Games are about playing and having fun. Granted, there will be people that will use their astronauts for these... psycopathic things... but, granted, there will be others that will use them for science and space exploration.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT support people that just wanna kill astronauts, I really don't, but saying there shoudn't be astronauts only because people will kill them is like saying there shoudn't be high TWR engines cause people will make rockets with TWRs above 9...

Come on...

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
A question for you guys who are opposing the addition of astronauts. How fun would kerbal space program be without Jeb's green face staring up at you in flight and not being able to go out and explore with your kerbal? In my opinion , this is one of the best features of the game. Also really everything in space simulators is just about doing it , there's no real reward. You launch space stations for the sake of it , the same with rovers , Landers , probes , anything because it's fun. SFS with with crew would give players a whole new set of missions to do.

I also fully support the addition of outside chairs , how fun would it be to get a rlly fast rover and do sick jumps on the moon's with a little guy sitting in it.

Berg

Registered
... hahahah ... hahahha.AHAHAHAHABAHABAHAHHAGAVAGAHAHAYAHAHGQHAHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHSHEHEH HAHAHAHZJZJ I AM ALREADY PREPARING CAPSULES ON EACH PLANET AND MAINLY IN MISSILES HAHAHAHAHABAH

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
... hahahah ... hahahha.AHAHAHAHABAHABAHAHHAGAVAGAHAHAYAHAHGQHAHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHSHEHEH HAHAHAHZJZJ I AM ALREADY PREPARING CAPSULES ON EACH PLANET AND MAINLY IN MISSILES HAHAHAHAHABAH
r/ I had a stroke

T

The Dark in the Light

I mean, I wouldn't just senselessly kill astronauts. That's not right. But if it were Trump or Hitler, then yes.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I can understand why astronauts are useless, but why such effort to oppose them?
You're making some of my points for me

Worst case they will be somewhat amusing for a moment
Somewhat amusing for a moment. Well worth the work to insert them

Apart from giving iOS a better solar system to play in
Something that needs sorting well before astronauts, cos it'll make a bigger impact in players enjoyment.

making more hurdles to consider in mission design is what will progress the game and keeping astronauts and re-entry craft cool and pressurized is fine by me
See above comment for increase work to change fundamental aspects of the game for little pay off other than 'keep the humans alive so they can do...things.'

Where’s that G-meter anyway?
Yaaay, can't wait to not need to look at that cluttering up the screen. The only time I look at the one displayed in KSP is when I'm flying an aircraft to make sure I don't exceed 16g and have the wings peel off. If there happens to be crew on board accidentally and they're unconscious? Don't care. All my aircraft fly themselves. The meat is wasted mass.

Its just a matter of choosing the right zoom. You want to see your astronaut? Zoom in. You want to see the next building you have to jump over because Its a 2D world? Zoom out. Easy as pie.
So how are you going to take your picture (you know, the reason you wanted astronauts, to take cool pictures of them stood next to ground bases?)
as well as some cool screenshots in the surface of planets with astronauts lined-up next to their craft
using 2 different zooms at the same time? Unless you've got some super bi-zoom screen going on?

Yes, why not?

I mean really, why not? We make Space stations with Fairings and interstages, why we cannot pretend our astronauts are repairing stuff?
Because space stations can and have been made from fuel tanks, are made in pretty much the same way as interstages and fairings. So I don't have to imagine it happens, because that is how it happens.

The same way YOU are pretending there are small astronauts inside the capsule, only because the game description says so, I can stick astronauts to the side of a satellite and pretend they are repairing it.
Again, I don't have to pretend there is a guy in there. In the same way that the fuel tank description says its got fuel in there or a battery pack description says it contains battery cells, I don't have to pretend it/they are in there, because it/they are in there, doing the things they're supposed to, to create the game effect of being a manned capsule/fuel tank/battery pack etc.

Of course not, astronauts need their OWN functionalities, like taking surface samples or atmospheric readings.
Covered previously, so I'll copy and paste it again for you:
but that already has a built in resource system on each planet and moon, implemented scanning and display systems, resource extraction equipment, resource storage and conversion.
And then once you've implimented said resources and data sets per celestial body, then what?
Taking a surface sample, amazing. Can, and does get done by drones/autonomous rovers.
Taking a atmospheric reading. Gets done by drones.

So struggling to see why I need a manned expedition to do these?

Then you have absolutely no imagination, Sir.

They are as important to ANY Space Program in the world as space stations or landers are.

Also, a waste of dry mass? How heavy can an astronaut be? 90 kg? Remove a single 1x1 struct out of your rocket and you'll compensate the weight.
I have plenty of that. Which is my problem, cos I can imagine a lot of reasons not to need astronauts in SFS.

and yeah, if you want to deliver your astronaut in his underwear, without life support, food, water, power, equipment etc (That imagination of mine again, thinking of things I'd need), then yeah, 90kg of dry mass will suffice.

Objectively? I think beyond the symbolic snapshot of boots on the ground, the vast majority of the heavy lifting, exploration and data collection has been collected autonomously.

A question for you guys who are opposing the addition of astronauts. How fun would kerbal space program be without Jeb's green face staring up at you in flight and not being able to go out and explore with your kerbal? In my opinion , this is one of the best features of the game.
I can answer that pretty easily. Jeb died months ago and I've not seen him since. Have a look in the larger KSP thread. Nearly all my missions and jobs I've done in KSP are there. And aside from 2 manned moon landings and 2 Godlifter flights (all of which fly autonomously), everything I have sent anywhere in system has been unmanned, specifically because Kerbals are bowl headed, bug-eyed embuggerances that I will chose to leave at home 99.5% of the time, even if it means setting up a comprehensive DSN relay network around whatever body I'm working on (Which I'd do anyway, because I'm thorough with my visits and always do a full orbital surface topography and resource scan before landing) in order to operate there.
The only time in-game I've needed Kerbals for a mission is the final assembly of my space station, which needed 3 engineers to deploy certain elements, but the horse they rode up on was automated and if I decide they're coming back down sometime in the future, that'll be automated as well.

Also really everything in space simulators is just about doing it , there's no real reward. You launch space stations for the sake of it , the same with rovers , Landers , probes , anything because it's fun
Totally agree with you dude and that is exactly why I play SFS/KSP, because I enjoy the conceptualising, manufacture and execution phases of outlandish missions.
However
SFS with with crew would give players a whole new set of missions to do
they're not a 'new' set of missions unless there is a mission that needs a crew that I can't do automated. Or should I say, need a physical representation of an EVA human/kerbal, that can't be done remotely.

I also fully support the addition of outside chairs , how fun would it be to get a rlly fast rover and do sick jumps on the moon's with a little guy sitting in it.
About the same amount of fun as me jumping the KSC runway in the Lindwell (a 60 ton unmanned rover with a frankly ridiculous turn of speed), or jumping the Solarmaster (remotely operated) rovers around Io, Ganymede etc. Having a guy strapped to the front makes zero odds to that.

but saying there shoudn't be astronauts only because people will kill them
Actually, I didn't say people shouldn't have them because they will kill them. I said most people only want them because it gives them something to kill. The difference is subtle.

So, Horus Lupercal, your move...
Back to you Blazer

I mean, I wouldn't just senselessly kill astronauts. That's not right. But if it were Trump or Hitler, then yes.
Not quite sure how Trump gets lumped in the same capsule and marked for death as Hitler...? I can think right now of an entire Space Shuttle payload bays worth of people that would be further in front of the queue for summary execution by being fired into the sun than orange man.
You know, actual bad men.

Last edited:

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
How fun would kerbal space program be without Jeb's green face staring up at you in flight and not being able to go out and explore with your kerbal?
I think the little face is all the part that is really needed. Pretty simple to DIY, get a tiny square of paper with a homemade screaming man and tape it to the corner of the screen. I did that all the time in my freshman Tech Design course when I had free time.

Not quite sure how Trump gets lumped in the same capsule and marked for death as Hitler...? I can think right now of an entire Space Shuttle payload bays worth of people that would be further in front of the queue for summary execution by being fired into the sun than orange man.
Oh boy, there ARE a lot of those sort, aren’t there.

I found this podcast that is full of yer bad people of all shapes and sizes, kinda works as a list I guess.
https://open.spotify.com/show/0rOatMqaG3wB5BF4AdsrSX?si=_e-xUollR_iZ_zTmTas5uQ

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I think the little face is all the part that is really needed. Pretty simple to DIY, get a tiny square of paper with a homemade screaming man and tape it to the corner of the screen. I did that all the time in my freshman Tech Design course when I had free time.
Ha, Jebs sole contribution to KSP on my computer...

kinda works as a list I guess.
Just go all Arya Stark and recite them before bedtime

I expect the astronaut will be a tiny featureless Michelin man looking thing pops out when you poke the capsule and goes back in when you poke it again, maybe it moves a bit on a stiff little s-curve tether or some such

I doubt Stef will forsake more important things implementing it or break the code and anyone’s game with it, probably just part of the capsule and won’t even add mass

Ya know what I’d really like?
Angled parachutes that fit the slopes of the capsule so I can have a fuel port on top and twin chutes on those tiny return landers without getting in the way of the landing gear

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I expect the astronaut will be a tiny featureless Michelin man looking thing pops out when you poke the capsule and goes back in when you poke it again, maybe it moves a bit on a stiff little s-curve tether or some such

I doubt Stef will forsake more important things implementing it or break the code and anyone’s game with it, probably just part of the capsule and won’t even add mass

Ya know what I’d really like?
Angled parachutes that fit the slopes of the capsule so I can have a fuel port on top and twin chutes on those tiny return landers without getting in the way of the landing gear
The only real uses of astronauts will just be the charm and for the sake of it , just like pretty much everything in the game as I've said previously.
Also great idea with angled chutes

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Gosh, that's really a lot of effort you've put to ensure we can't have any fun...

Somewhat amusing for a moment. Well worth the work to insert them
Well, yeah, they will surely be hard to implement, specially with the good developers we have, but it will worth the wait.

Something that needs sorting well before astronauts, cos it'll make a bigger impact in players enjoyment.
That's true. I don't understand why Stef takes so long to make the rest of the Solar System. It really doesn't take that long to make them.

See above comment for increase work to change fundamental aspects of the game for little pay off other than 'keep the humans alive so they can do...things.'
'
Huh? I thought you people loved challenges? Especially the hardest ones. And once again, the WHOLE objective of a space program is to send people to the planets 'so they can do... things'. No space program is only made of probes.

Yaaay, can't wait to not need to look at that cluttering up the screen.
A G-force meter will be highly appretiated, yes.

So how are you going to take your picture (you know, the reason you wanted astronauts, to take cool pictures of them stood next to ground bases?)

using 2 different zooms at the same time? Unless you've got some super bi-zoom screen going on?
Horus, I'll definitively find a way, like always. We are speculating over the base of stuff we don't know. A lot will be done before 1.6, so why don't we wait until 1.6 to have the ACTUAL camera system and really discuss how to take the screenshot.

But once again, you are making a storm using a cup of water, I mean, making a big issue of something that it is not.

Because space stations can and have been made from fuel tanks, are made in pretty much the same way as interstages and fairings. So I don't have to imagine it happens, because that is how it happens.
I don't get your point there. You are saying that you are okay with this? Well, FTR, no I don't want '2D KSP' on SFS, but proper habitation modules is something I would love to see in this game. Or just something that allows me to say there are actual physical human beings living there.

Again, I don't have to pretend there is a guy in there. In the same way that the fuel tank description says its got fuel in there or a battery pack description says it contains battery cells, I don't have to pretend it/they are in there, because it/they are in there, doing the things they're supposed to, to create the game effect of being a manned capsule/fuel tank/battery pack etc.
Again, and again, and again, and again...

Even if the game description says so, we both know there is no one in there. All I'm saying and for I've had to put a lot of effort because I have to quote and edit your posts (joke, :p Its not really a problem, I love this kind of serious debates) is that I, and surely other people would like that there is an actual person inside it, not just flat text.

Covered previously, so I'll copy and paste it again for you:

And then once you've implimented said resources and data sets per celestial body, then what?
Taking a surface sample, amazing. Can, and does get done by drones/autonomous rovers.
Taking a atmospheric reading. Gets done by drones.

So struggling to see why I need a manned expedition to do these?
Because once again, and again, and again, and again... a space program IS SUPPOSED TO SEND HUMANS TO DO THESE THINGS. Why do we even have space programs anyway? (I mean in RL), not only because of science, and communications, but because we know this planet won't be habitable forever, we know that at some point we will have to jump out of it, if we want to survive as a species. And how are we gonna do that if we have NO experience, cause we haven't send a single manned mission cause drones do everything for us? Besides we can't rely on machines all the time, well, unless you want a Terminator-style future :p

I have plenty of that. Which is my problem, cos I can imagine a lot of reasons not to need astronauts in SFS.

and yeah, if you want to deliver your astronaut in his underwear, without life support, food, water, power, equipment etc (That imagination of mine again, thinking of things I'd need), then yeah, 90kg of dry mass will suffice.

Objectively? I think beyond the symbolic snapshot of boots on the ground, the vast majority of the heavy lifting, exploration and data collection has been collected autonomously.
Okay, Horus, 2 tons per astronaut. So?

I find very hard to believe YOU, especially you, who loves lift challenges, is making all that storm because of a couple extra tons.

I personally think it worths the price, not only because of the symbolic boots (which we will not see because the game is 2D, BTW), but because all the stuff that can only be done by humans in space.

I can answer that pretty easily. Jeb died months ago and I've not seen him since. Have a look in the larger KSP thread. Nearly all my missions and jobs I've done in KSP are there. And aside from 2 manned moon landings and 2 Godlifter flights (all of which fly autonomously), everything I have sent anywhere in system has been unmanned, specifically because Kerbals are bowl headed, bug-eyed embuggerances that I will chose to leave at home 99.5% of the time, even if it means setting up a comprehensive DSN relay network around whatever body I'm working on (Which I'd do anyway, because I'm thorough with my visits and always do a full orbital surface topography and resource scan before landing) in order to operate there.
The only time in-game I've needed Kerbals for a mission is the final assembly of my space station, which needed 3 engineers to deploy certain elements, but the horse they rode up on was automated and if I decide they're coming back down sometime in the future, that'll be automated as well.
I deeply sorry Jeb's death, but you can just quicksave and quickload. Also, precisely because kerbals are, well, kerbals... is why SFS astronauts have to be SFS astronauts, not KSP astronauts adapted to SFS.

And you have done all of that unkerbaled only because you want, not because there's an actual reward, you could have done it with Kerbals as well and there won't be a real difference.

I, to be honest, am the opposite. Granted, for dangerous/unreturnable missions I will send probes, but for everything else, I will send humans, because once again, and again... a space program is basically preparation for the HUMAN expansion into the deep space, not the PROBED expansion into the deep space. Yes, probes can do basically the same as us, but they cannot live for us...

Totally agree with you dude and that is exactly why I play SFS/KSP, because I enjoy the conceptualising, manufacture and execution phases of outlandish missions.
I agree too, but I think it could be even more enjoyable if all of these vehicles have people inside, because you know, you are doing it, not a machine is doing it for you.

they're not a 'new' set of missions unless there is a mission that needs a crew that I can't do automated. Or should I say, need a physical representation of an EVA human/kerbal, that can't be done remotely.
Yes, there will be a whole new set of missions that will require humans to do the job. Rescue missions, EVA repairs, deployment of instruments. Every new feature brings new missions and ideas.

About the same amount of fun as me jumping the KSC runway in the Lindwell (a 60 ton unmanned rover with a frankly ridiculous turn of speed), or jumping the Solarmaster (remotely operated) rovers around Io, Ganymede etc. Having a guy strapped to the front makes zero odds to that.
I have to agree with Soyuzturtle on that one, Sir. Whats fun is to see a person doing the job, jumping and twisting on his/her seat... not just a heartless machine.

Actually, I didn't say people shouldn't have them because they will kill them. I said most people only want them because it gives them something to kill. The difference is subtle.
VEEEEEEEEERY SUBTLE, barely noticeable.

No, Sir. Its YOUR turn to move.
Well, for Hitler I agree with Etherian, but not for Trump. I mean, yes, the guy is an idiot, but just because he's an idiot he doesn't deserves to die:rolleyes:

Gosh, I've finished quoting and answering to all of this, I can barely believe it....

Oh, well, just go to your custom translations folder, inside the game files, find the description of each part, find the capsule and edit it.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
When reentry is added I can recreate better missions and when astronauts are added I can recreate the Apollo 13

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
I don't understand why Stef takes so long to make the rest of the Solar System. It really doesn't take that long to make them.
It‘s probably the art that does it. I’m fairly certain Stef is attempting to imbue quality into the texture, as can be seen with the *muah* gorgeous look of Jupiter and Ganymede.
Saturn has a fair amount of big moons, and so does Uranus. The art is there (imo) to make a planet/moon a destination with fun activities and challenges, not a lumpy circle with a fart of atmosphere if it so calls.

Terrain, however, shouldn’t be a problem because he likely doesn’t have to refresh the game every time something changes, there are probably live updates with sliders and shit.

I would suggest that Stef could also just be fucking with us, but he seems to bend really easily.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I think current game there is little use for astronauts, but I think that if done right career mode could find a meaningful way to incorporate them. Just my opinion though.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Gosh, that's really a lot of effort you've put to ensure we can't have any fun...
There will be no fun on my watch.

Well, yeah, they will surely be hard to implement, specially with the good developers we have, but it will worth the wait.
I agree with the first 30% of that sentence.

That's true. I don't understand why Stef takes so long to make the rest of the Solar System. It really doesn't take that long to make them.
Yeah, I don't understand it either. It's an easy win to implement. Hell, he could just ask Likebot1 for a copy of his original full system pack and paste it into the basic game code.
Job done.
The only reason I can think of that he hasn't done it is because it is that low hanging fruit and can use it as a filler incase a particular update or patch is going to take longer than expected, he can just throw down a full solar system update and keep the discord off his back 20 minutes longer.

Huh? I thought you people loved challenges? Especially the hardest ones.
It's not a challenge though. Bearing in mind the rockets are basically indestructible unless you twat into something (as in there is no Kraken in SFS to tear your rocket apart if you start doing stupid things like going sideways at mach 7), there is no oxygen/food storage or requirements, the astronauts don't age and are pretty much functionally immortal, anything you can do with astronauts, can be done without them. Making a 'human rated' rocket in SFS is going to be no harder than making a 'probe only' rocket.

And once again, the WHOLE objective of a space program is to send people to the planets 'so they can do... things'
My point returns. What things? And on the WHOLE OBJECTIVE
No space program is only made of probes
Quite a few space agencies have no manned capabilities. No withstanding only 2 space agencies are even capable of sending manned missions to LEO (Russia and now the US) and no manned expedition has been further than that since the 70s, most other nations only have astronauts cos they can get a lift in a Soyuz. Aside from that, their solo space programs (for example India, China, Israel, ESA etc) are all remote operated exploration vehicles.

A G-force meter will be highly appretiated, yes.
For what use? Not gonna lie, in KSP I use Flight Engineer. That gives me 8 contextual and selectable menus so I can fly with as much data on screen as I can. But that's cos I've a 17" laptop screen to display altitude (AMSL and terrain), speed (ground and orbital, in m/s and mach number) stage Dv, horizontal speed and acceleration, vertical speed and acceleration, current craft mass, rated thrust, specific impulse, engine throttle settings, burn out time, intake air usage, demand and supply, part thermal properties, apoapsis and time to, periapsis and time to, next node dv, time to, burn time, relay signal strength and bounce locations, orbital scan data etc. And all that is just the tip of the iceberg. KSP takes into account so many variables and with the right mods, any and all of it can be displayed somehow.
However.
One indicator I almost never look at is the G-meter. And the only time I do is if I'm in a banked turn in one of my aircraft so I can keep the numbers in single digits so the wings don't come off.
In SFS, all that data is just going to clutter an already small screen with pish numbers you don't actually need. A g-meter isn't needed and will just get in the way.

Horus, I'll definitively find a way, like always. We are speculating over the base of stuff we don't know. A lot will be done before 1.6, so why don't we wait until 1.6 to have the ACTUAL camera system and really discuss how to take the screenshot.
You don't need to wait until 1.6. Try it now. Drop a 4x1 structural part next to your surface base on Venus. And then try and get a picture of that 4x1 so you can tell it's a 4x1, whilst having the entirety of your absolute masterpiece of a base in the same shot. Implementing astronauts isn't going to change the camera. My point is and always will be this. You can not have this tiny object in detail and this massive object in the background using a 2 dimensional world.

You're not going to be able to get a shot like this:
Kerbal Space Program 07_03_2020 02_05_25.png

With the tiny Kerbal quite a distance in front of your enormous object. This picture in SFS will have the kerbal stood next to the back wheels. And bearing in mind just how enormous Worldlifter is, he's only about half the size of one of those tyres and you won't see any detail. Your surface bases are much, much bigger than that aircraft as well, so the effect is going to be even more pronounced.

That's how 3 dimensional perspective works and SFS is never going to overcome that.

But once again, you are making a storm using a cup of water, I mean, making a big issue of something that it is not.
I'm only making an issue because this is one of your reasons for wanting astronauts, so you can have cool pictures like the one above. But I'm trying to show you that won't happen, for the reasons I've pointed out above.

I don't get your point there. You are saying that you are okay with this? Well, FTR, no I don't want '2D KSP' on SFS, but proper habitation modules is something I would love to see in this game. Or just something that allows me to say there are actual physical human beings living there.
Yeah, they're aluminium cylinders with an airlock at each end. If that is good enough for real NASA using real humans, then that's good enough for me in SFS.

Even if the game description says so, we both know there is no one in there. All I'm saying and for I've had to put a lot of effort because I have to quote and edit your posts (joke, :p Its not really a problem, I love this kind of serious debates) is that I, and surely other people would like that there is an actual person inside it, not just flat text.
How do we know no one is in there? Because he doesn't come out? Because you can't see him? You assume there is no one there, I assume there is. And I have more evidence that he is, than you have that he isn't...

a space program IS SUPPOSED TO SEND HUMANS TO DO THESE THINGS
Not so. As I've said, almost all space agencies around the world are content to do this remotely.

Why do we even have space programs anyway? (I mean in RL), not only because of science, and communications, but because we know this planet won't be habitable forever, we know that at some point we will have to jump out of it, if we want to survive as a species. And how are we gonna do that if we have NO experience, cause we haven't send a single manned mission cause drones do everything for us?
Actually, your first reason was correct. The concept of time running out before the Earth becomes non-vi is a very new one. Apollo wasn't manned just because Elon Musk and Extinction Rebellion reckoned the world is going to be a desolate wasteland in 30 years.
Apollo was manned because a) they were racing the russians to be the first humans on the moon, which required humans to be on board and b) the autonomy didn't exist back in the 60s to conduct the background data and sample collection and bring it back again. Same with the Space Shuttle. It was built like it was because they couldn't automate all of its systems and needed a crew to complete its missions.
And if Elon and the unwashed masses at ER are correct, then we're fucked regardless. No where in the solar system is going to be ready in time for their 'end of the environment' projections, no matter how quickly SpaceX gets Starship ready.
I totally agree that at some point mankind needs to (and will) expand outwards. But look at the concept of species migration from a realistic standpoint dude. It's more than just moving mass from hither to thither. Just look at the real data on it man. Hell, the terraforming alone is waaaay outside of our current and future capabilities. By the time we've even got part way through the prep work, the world is apparently already doomed.
Exploration for the sake of survival against a timer is not going to work. Exploration for the sake of expansion to further humanity is the only real outcome, and for that, we need to get our own house in order first before we go someplace else and fuck that planet up as well.
Hell, I'd rather SpaceX stop fucking around with dreams of Mars and put its considerable talents to asteroid resource mining. Sure, there will be huge issues with financial markets and such doing that, but the big problem with Earth is what we're doing to create resources, mining, pollution, manufacture etc. SpaceX needs to bend itself to making that viable off world (funnily enough, remotely cos cost/simplicity/safety) so we stop fucking the planet we're on over, so we have longer and more resources to then complete the next step which is colonisation. As it is, Earth isn't in a position to support that by itself.

But I digress, we're talking SFS here.

well, unless you want a Terminator-style future
*Starts humming the T2 soundtrack*

Okay, Horus, 2 tons per astronaut. So?

I find very hard to believe YOU, especially you, who loves lift challenges, is making all that storm because of a couple extra tons.
Again, you've missed my point entirely. By waste of mass, I didn't mean I couldn't lift them. Even if they needed 200 tons per person, I'd still get the little bastards to wherever. My point is, and always this
but because all the stuff that can only be done by humans in space.
What things? You still haven't given me a single thing astronauts will be able to do in SFS that can't be done remotely, justifying the 2/20/200/2000tons of extra mass I'm going to need. They're still bowlheaded embuggerances and not worth the dry mass.

In fact, even in basic KSP, there is very little aside planting flags that you actually need a kerbal for. Repairs require mods to work properly (the inventory system, which allows you to store parts in containers, move and install them in EVA. It also allows the only thing I've done with a Kerbal aside from planting flags and inflating a gravity ring (itself a mod), which is blowing up debris using C4 blocks.
Neither of which you can do in SFS without huge changes to the game mechanics.

which we will not see because the game is 2D, BTW
Yeah you will. You'll be able to zoom down to their boots, 2D or 3D, it makes no difference.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I deeply sorry Jeb's death, but you can just quicksave and quickload.
I didn't even notice. Couldn't tell you which flight they died on (probably the first thing with seats most likely) because a lot of my stuff exploded back when I first started playing the game. And apparently you can, but I've got maximum realism settings on which disables quicksave/loads. If something goes tits on a mission (launchpad explosion, space station turns to spaghetti, rover rolls over, fairings/boosters smack into launch vehicle, missed orbit, missed transfer, kraken eats your build, whatever), then I can't revert back to last save.
It stays tits, and I have to do another mission. Gives the game real consequences then and even occasionally delays flights whilst I wait for the debris of the previous launch to impact around the KSC.
Infact, I still have the debris of my first Concorde crash somewhere in the northern hemisphere waiting to be returned.
The only Kerbal I had any kinda attachment to was Lindwell, who was the first Kerbal to accidentally survive leaving the ground and come back in one piece (I sometimes forget to clear the crew from the mission before launch and am usually too lazy to scrub the mission, or just don't notice until I've throttled up) and she ended up on quite a few successful flight tests and landings from the Concorde and Lightning programs (Concorde is a bastard to clear crew from, there's over 100 seats and the droopnose is right at the bottom of the list and always forget to clear it) and the bedstead and lunar rover tests, again from laziness from removing rather than needing and placing crew onboard.

And you have done all of that unkerbaled only because you want, not because there's an actual reward, you could have done it with Kerbals as well and there won't be a real difference.
Exactly my point all along. There was no difference or benefit to bringing them, so I didn't.

I agree too, but I think it could be even more enjoyable if all of these vehicles have people inside, because you know, you are doing it, not a machine is doing it for you.
Erm, but they won't have people inside. You are doing it. Whether your inputs are being 'controlled' by a remote probe, Kerbal, Human or a slightly bewildered dog, the result is the same. You are in control, you are doing the mission, you've planned it, you built the modules, attached the couplings, added the fuel, chose the engines, lit the fires, flew the craft. Your in-game proxy matters not, and as I've been saying, making that proxy into the shape of a man rather than a module serves zero additional purpose and I'd rather Stef used his time on something we can use properly like re-entry, more planets, SRBs or even something outlandish like less gameplay bugs.

Yes, there will be a whole new set of missions that will require humans to do the job. Rescue missions, EVA repairs, deployment of instruments. Every new feature brings new missions and ideas.
We have both done SFS rescue missions, and neither of us used EVA astronauts to achieve that aim.
EVA repairs require a damage system to be implemented. Which requires another code re-work. And we all know how long that takes.
Even in KSP, the only parts you need Kerbal Engineers to deploy are the larger gravity rings. All the science parts, solar arrays, payload doors, radiators, lights, engines and whatever are all controlled inside. Where its safer.

And again, I don't see how these will add 'new' missions. Save a person? That's not new. I can link to a video right now of me saving a 'person' that's about a year old now. Fix a broken thing? Not withstanding the amount of code that'd take to write for a very specific mission, we've all done repairs on space stations by replacing the part/module with a new one. So there's nothing new there. And to deploy instruments, he's gonna need to implement not just EVA astronauts, but also science instrumentation and a reason for their existence (see previous post for more detail) and make it specifically so you can't operate that equipment remotely for the sole reason of justifying bringing a human along.

Which means you can't use them on those remote, dangerous, one way probe missions you spoke of earlier.

I have to agree with Soyuzturtle on that one, Sir. Whats fun is to see a person doing the job, jumping and twisting on his/her seat... not just a heartless machine.

You remember Lindwell Kerman I was on about earlier? Occasionally she'd be onboard the, as it was named then, XXL rover when it was being drive tested. Which basically involved me seeing how rugged it was by jumping over the runway at maximum speed to see if the wheel stations would fall off and reinforcing the attachments as necessary.

But she wasn't driving. Neither will your astronauts. That rover wasn't being jumped for her benefit. I was doing it cos it looked cool as fuck watching a 60t rover doing over 100mph and Dukes of Hazzard'ing itself over the runway. Remember, regardless what is on screen when you drive your astronauts, it'll be you driving, not them, for your enjoyment, not theirs.

VEEEEEEEEERY SUBTLE, barely noticeable.
But still definite. And it's not that subtle if you look at the wording. It's the same difference as 'every time I run something over, I'm in a car' and 'every time I'm in a car, I run something over'.

No, Sir. Its YOUR turn to move.

Inkedexternal-content.duckduckgo.coma_LI.jpg

always wanted to use that quote somewhere. Wrong context I know, but I'm not sorry. Any excuse to use Cap/Twain...

Gosh, I've finished quoting and answering to all of this, I can barely believe it....

Only through your quotes will you have any hope to destroy me. Quote me Blazer, and your journey to the Waffle side of the Force will be complete.

when astronauts are added I can recreate the Apollo 13
My history is a bit hazy, but did any of the crew of 13 do any EVA repairs? (I know they didn't, so not sure how this'll help with a re-creation?)

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
My history is a bit hazy, but did any of the crew of 13 do any EVA repairs? (I know they didn't, so not sure how this'll help with a re-creation?)
Pretty sure they didn’t. Something perhaps about it being too stressful on the broken things to get out.

I think they mean “get out and push.”

D3F74DB5-E83D-4006-9F7B-74A239931D9F.jpeg

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Pretty sure they didn’t. Something perhaps about it being too stressful on the broken things to get out.
Yeah, they didn't. I don't even think it was even on the cards to do. Spacewalks are a bit more than just 'open the hatch and get outside', even if they had the knowledge and equipment to diagnose and fix the fault themselves.

I think they mean “get out and push.”
Ha, every little helps

Ha, every little helps
That's what he said