Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
There was the great tea versus coffee debate that tore the forum apart awhile back, but who would have thought astronauts would be the next thing...

Tea is better just so you know...

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I didn't even notice. Couldn't tell you which flight they died on (probably the first thing with seats most likely) because a lot of my stuff exploded back when I first started playing the game. And apparently you can, but I've got maximum realism settings on which disables quicksave/loads. If something goes tits on a mission (launchpad explosion, space station turns to spaghetti, rover rolls over, fairings/boosters smack into launch vehicle, missed orbit, missed transfer, kraken eats your build, whatever), then I can't revert back to last save.
It stays tits, and I have to do another mission. Gives the game real consequences then and even occasionally delays flights whilst I wait for the debris of the previous launch to impact around the KSC.
Infact, I still have the debris of my first Concorde crash somewhere in the northern hemisphere waiting to be returned.
The only Kerbal I had any kinda attachment to was Lindwell, who was the first Kerbal to accidentally survive leaving the ground and come back in one piece (I sometimes forget to clear the crew from the mission before launch and am usually too lazy to scrub the mission, or just don't notice until I've throttled up) and she ended up on quite a few successful flight tests and landings from the Concorde and Lightning programs (Concorde is a bastard to clear crew from, there's over 100 seats and the droopnose is right at the bottom of the list and always forget to clear it) and the bedstead and lunar rover tests, again from laziness from removing rather than needing and placing crew onboard.

Exactly my point all along. There was no difference or benefit to bringing them, so I didn't.

Erm, but they won't have people inside. You are doing it. Whether your inputs are being 'controlled' by a remote probe, Kerbal, Human or a slightly bewildered dog, the result is the same. You are in control, you are doing the mission, you've planned it, you built the modules, attached the couplings, added the fuel, chose the engines, lit the fires, flew the craft. Your in-game proxy matters not, and as I've been saying, making that proxy into the shape of a man rather than a module serves zero additional purpose and I'd rather Stef used his time on something we can use properly like re-entry, more planets, SRBs or even something outlandish like less gameplay bugs.

We have both done SFS rescue missions, and neither of us used EVA astronauts to achieve that aim.
EVA repairs require a damage system to be implemented. Which requires another code re-work. And we all know how long that takes.
Even in KSP, the only parts you need Kerbal Engineers to deploy are the larger gravity rings. All the science parts, solar arrays, payload doors, radiators, lights, engines and whatever are all controlled inside. Where its safer.

And again, I don't see how these will add 'new' missions. Save a person? That's not new. I can link to a video right now of me saving a 'person' that's about a year old now. Fix a broken thing? Not withstanding the amount of code that'd take to write for a very specific mission, we've all done repairs on space stations by replacing the part/module with a new one. So there's nothing new there. And to deploy instruments, he's gonna need to implement not just EVA astronauts, but also science instrumentation and a reason for their existence (see previous post for more detail) and make it specifically so you can't operate that equipment remotely for the sole reason of justifying bringing a human along.

Which means you can't use them on those remote, dangerous, one way probe missions you spoke of earlier.

You remember Lindwell Kerman I was on about earlier? Occasionally she'd be onboard the, as it was named then, XXL rover when it was being drive tested. Which basically involved me seeing how rugged it was by jumping over the runway at maximum speed to see if the wheel stations would fall off and reinforcing the attachments as necessary.

But she wasn't driving. Neither will your astronauts. That rover wasn't being jumped for her benefit. I was doing it cos it looked cool as fuck watching a 60t rover doing over 100mph and Dukes of Hazzard'ing itself over the runway. Remember, regardless what is on screen when you drive your astronauts, it'll be you driving, not them, for your enjoyment, not theirs.

But still definite. And it's not that subtle if you look at the wording. It's the same difference as 'every time I run something over, I'm in a car' and 'every time I'm in a car, I run something over'.

View attachment 43382

always wanted to use that quote somewhere. Wrong context I know, but I'm not sorry. Any excuse to use Cap/Twain...

Only through your quotes will you have any hope to destroy me. Quote me Blazer, and your journey to the Waffle side of the Force will be complete.

My history is a bit hazy, but did any of the crew of 13 do any EVA repairs? (I know they didn't, so not sure how this'll help with a re-creation?)
Because they will hav to try and survive

Vi...

Registered
Hm.
So, if astronauts are to be added in 1.6, there have got to be external chairs.
Set them up for a little tea party on an escape trajectory from the solar system.
So,if astronauts are to be added in 1.6 then new SFS players will kill many people

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Now that we have successfully defiled the corpse of the astronaut idea, let us find more things to beat the shit out of.

I’m thinking the future Sat. V parts DLC.

Damn, astronaut debate turned to trench warfare...

You’d think that 9 month late 1.5 update would have been a good time to drop in a planet or two to calm the herd

Trump is the most dangerous man in the universe but it’s not his fault he was elected god emperor of Earth, he just needs to be put on golf course arrest in Scotland while we figure this shit out

Balloons!
Inflatables with some negative mass, flexible building parts like fuel tanks could double as habitat

A5344EE0-052E-42C5-910B-7CA6FEEE6F0A.jpeg
Hey Neil, take my pic over by the wagon

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Trump is the most dangerous man in the universe but it’s not his fault he was elected god emperor of Earth, he just needs to be put on golf course arrest in Scotland while we figure this shit out
“That is very unfair and illegal. TREASON!”
1597009749255.jpg

I was looking through Orange Man’s twitter looking for the tweet that this is based on, and found out that he doesn’t know the difference between SpaceX and Nasa.
Balloons!
Inflatables with some negative mass, flexible building parts like fuel tanks could double as habitat.
Fuck yeah!
Cloud cities FTW!

If balloons are added, I’m straight booking it to Saturn for some some prime cloud city real estate.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Now that we have successfully defiled the corpse of the astronaut idea, let us find more things to beat the shit out of.

I’m thinking the future Sat. V parts DLC.
Yes, cos there isn't enough Saturn V/Apollo missions in SFS yet. Whilst he's at it, SpaceX skins, downloadable Starship, Soyuz capsules and every purchase gets a free Falcon 9.

Trump is the most dangerous man in the universe
Orange man bad. He's not even in the top 3.

found out that he doesn’t know the difference between SpaceX and Nasa
Most people don't know the difference between NASA and SpaceX. Vast majority of Americans couldn't point out major countries on an globe if you beat them over the head with it, you think they're gonna know the difference between one space agency and another?

Last edited:

BANDWITH

Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Yes, cos there isn't enough Saturn V/Apollo missions in SFS yet. Whilst he's at it, SpaceX skins, downloadable Starship, Soyuz capsules and every purchase gets a free Falcon 9.
Sigh... Unfortunately.

If you go to cool places like here, there are soooooooooooo many things more deserving.
(*cough* gas core *cough*)

Hell, where’s the Titan missile parts? What about the atlas rocket? Space shittles anyone? (originally a typo but I went with it)

Sigh... Unfortunately.

If you go to cool places like here, there are soooooooooooo many things more deserving.
(*cough* gas core *cough*)

Hell, where’s the Titan missile parts? What about the atlas rocket? Space shittles anyone? (originally a typo but I went with it)
Damn, that’s a lot to browse

I want tiny parts, model rocket simulator :D

going out on a ridiculously speculative limb at risk of wrecking another thread page,
What if astronauts could weld odd parts, replace all those broken or forgotten ports and whatever...shuttles would be awesome

T

The Dark in the Light

going out on a ridiculously speculative limb at risk of wrecking another thread page,
What if astronauts could weld odd parts, replace all those broken or forgotten ports and whatever...shuttles would be awesome
Now that would be super useful. For all the times everyone has forgot something and had to redo an entire mission, it would be solved with that.

Berg

Registered
the war to know what is better WATER, COFFEE or TEA along with the war to know if astronauts in the SFs are useless or not finished with human beings it will be ... is it worth making a storm in a cup of COFFEE because of that ... I think that's why humans don't evolve anymore because ... they don't know that ... COFFEE IS BETTER

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered

You are a Genius mate

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Except without mods, mount a select part on an astronaut which acts like a probe with an rcs and cram it in a fairing to weld and detach;
Then we got a cool leftover astronaut to do mean things to
Well yeah, the quote was from a previous post about how things like that work in KSP. The point isn't it being a mod or even it being KSP, the point is it'd been mentioned before as a 'things for astronauts to do except being dead weight or being dead'