Taps Mic, "is this on?"

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Admins, I couldn't find an appropriate place for an Intro thread, so please move if I have posted this in the wrong place...

Intro thread for Junipurr...

I am new to this forum, but have been playing SFS for about 5 months on and off. My play style is a little unique, because my Android phone is very old. So I build rockets which will not make my phone lock up.

That said, I like to build rockets more than explore. I will spend hours tweaking the ratio in size between stages one, two and three, so I barely reach LEO. My main aim is to explore the solar system, without my phone crashing, which I completely in the premium version a couple of weeks ago.

I have started to fiddle with modding the planets, with an aim of making the processor load per planet less. This is still a WIP as I learn modding tricks specific to SFS. I have posted some of my exploits on Facebook, and had some negative feedback, so pardon if I am defensive.

I will attach SFS pics in comments. I am a retired Aerospace Engineer with multiple disabilities, 46F struggling to remember half the stuff I learnt at Uni, while adapting it to the scaled down SFS universe.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Admins, I couldn't find an appropriate place for an Intro thread, so please move if I have posted this in the wrong place...

Intro thread for Junipurr...

I am new to this forum, but have been playing SFS for about 5 months on and off. My play style is a little unique, because my Android phone is very old. So I build rockets which will not make my phone lock up.

That said, I like to build rockets more than explore. I will spend hours tweaking the ratio in size between stages one, two and three, so I barely reach LEO. My main aim is to explore the solar system, without my phone crashing, which I completely in the premium version a couple of weeks ago.

I have started to fiddle with modding the planets, with an aim of making the processor load per planet less. This is still a WIP as I learn modding tricks specific to SFS. I have posted some of my exploits on Facebook, and had some negative feedback, so pardon if I am defensive.

I will attach SFS pics in comments. I am a retired Aerospace Engineer with multiple disabilities, 46F struggling to remember half the stuff I learnt at Uni, while adapting it to the scaled down SFS universe.
Ello Junipurr and Welcome to the SFS Forum! :D :D

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It's a good a place as any for one.

I have posted some of my exploits on Facebook, and had some negative feedback
Of course you did, it's Facebook. You're not using cheats, ion engines, blueprint editing and haven't made a Starship, so they're not interested.

An aerospace engineer eh? What aspect? We need to get you and Cosmo together.

Don't see much wrong with what you're making, are they asparagusly staged?

Fiddling with the planets, you've come to the right place.

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered

Of course you did, it's Facebook. You're not using cheats, ion engines, blueprint editing and haven't made a Starship, so they're not interested.

I don't use Ion engines because of electricity bug in current version. Also waiting for update timewarp with Ion engines on.

BP editting, would probably make my phone lock up. Even vanilla, once I exceed about a hundred parts, it slows down.

Starship, well someone in this forum may be aware of what I said about that on FB, but I won't mention any details because it still hurts my head.

My majors in Aerospace were Helicopters, Structures and Design. Only none of those skills apply to SFS. Design maybe, which is why my LEO payloads are huge.

Asparagusly? If you mean chunky yet efficient, then yes. Do you mean igniting second stage at launch, instead of waiting for first stage to finish, sometimes yes, sometimes no. It is a huge advantage, but I don't know to what extent that is considered cheating here.

In regards to modding planets, i have worked out how to mod textures, terrain heights, delete clouds and fog, and scale to match SFS. I am still a little confused by the SFS definition of SOI factor, because it seems very different to the three dimensional one used IRL. Also waiting the update of eccentricity and AOP.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Also waiting for update timewarp with Ion engines on.
Saves staring at the screen for 17 hours.

BP editting, would probably make my phone lock up. Even vanilla, once I exceed about a hundred parts, it slows down.
I don't think bp editing adds much to the processor loads than the same part at normal orientation. Certain parts are more laggy than others and staying 5km away from everything else helps a lot as well

Starship, well someone in this forum may be aware of what I said about that on FB, but I won't mention any details because it still hurts my head
You had my curiosity

My majors in Aerospace were Helicopters, Structures and Design.
And now you have my attention

Not a fan of the big silver bullet?

Only none of those skills apply to SFS
You would be surprised.

Asparagusly? If you mean chunky yet efficient, then yes
The multiple, separately attached stages, looks like they get removed one at a time, like an asparagus

Do you mean igniting second stage at launch, instead of waiting for first stage to finish, sometimes yes, sometimes no. It is a huge advantage, but I don't know to what extent that is considered cheating here.
It's the most efficient method in rocketry. And no, it's not cheating here. The vast majority of my larger rockets ignite stage 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. Keeps the weight down cos you need less engines overall, and when you've got a few hundred to turn on in stage 2, doing that in flight is a bit difficult.

I am still a little confused by the SFS definition of SOI factor
It's a complicated one. It's very similar to how it is calculated in the real world, but with the inclusion of the multiplier as well so you have a level of choice on how big you want it to be.

In game, Earths SOI is that multiplier * its orbit radius of the Sun * (Earths mu / the Suns mu) ^ 0.40)

Also waiting the update of eccentricity
That might be a while. The maths behind it is fearsome, especially for the navigation system in game and it's taking time to get right.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow you are an invisible expert in here!

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Asparagusly, no, if I have joined stages side by side, they usually all run out of fuel at the same time and get separated in one stage. Especially Stage one which usually wants to detach sideways due to Aerodynamic forces. The only exception is if Stage 2 separation is near or above the 25km mark, because the Aerodynamic forces are less, and then I can do a stage 2a seperation, followed much later by a stage 2b seperation.

I don't think BP editting in itself will make my phone lock up, no. The detail design and asthetics are not my best skill. Most of my rockets are pure functionality.

Starship isn't the problem, the guy who owns it is.

Helicopters, well there is no gyroscopic loads that I can see in SFS. Not even turbine engines. There might be turbopumps inside each engine, but they would be small compared to the mass of the rocket, so in game, I see no Coriolis affects.

Structures, any part seems to be able to support an infinite weight in SFS. The only difference I can see is during landing impacts. Wheels can sustain higher landing velocities than struts in game. Large wheels seem to be hard coded to rip off if the horizontal velocity exceeds 50mps, no matter how much weight they are carrying.

Design is a huge can of worms. In the most simplistic sense, it can be compromising one aspect in favour of another. In the most crazy reaches of Aeroscience, AI iteratively resizes every component modelled until a desired optimum is reached, often with unexpected innovations.

Now the Design mantra does affect my playstyle and how I perceive other styles of play. I am pushing the slider away from aesthetics towards functionality, because of the hardware limitations of my old phone. Other players may focus on Aesthetics more than functionality. That is a valid design choice, if you are the engineer, and the customer is paying for a beautifully made vehicle.

One engineer might be entirely focused on getting the launch vehicle efficiency maxed out, within the other parameters set by the lead engineer. While another is optimising the flight trajectory, and another is deisgning failsafe avionics. Even a Design engineer knows that they are a jack of all trades but master of none.

Each playstyle is valid, but comparing them to say one is better than another, I think is biased, based on my understanding of Design parameters.

So I struggle with actually piloting the rockets I build, because my disability is starting to affect my dexterity. It is immensely heart breaking, but I do what I can to try and enjoy the games I can still play, while I can.

Eccentricity factors of navigation computation in game is a nightmare, totally agree, even though I know the mathematics behind it, I also know programming, and what a pain compiliers and runtime errors are like. It still would make planet mods much cooler.

Hidden expert? Yes. I designed a four rotor helicopter with fly by wire tech in 1993 while at Uni. My design was laughed at, yet nearly every toy drone you see flying around today is a miniaturised version of that, which someone else invented independently of me. My career went south shortly after leaving Uni, partly because of the degenerative nature of my disabilities. I can't even think properly anymore.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Asparagusly, no, if I have joined stages side by side, they usually all run out of fuel at the same time and get separated in one stage. Especially Stage one which usually wants to detach sideways due to Aerodynamic forces. The only exception is if Stage 2 separation is near or above the 25km mark, because the Aerodynamic forces are less, and then I can do a stage 2a seperation, followed much later by a stage 2b seperation.
Ah, I meant bottom up asparagus. I know tanks won't fall apart (well they're not supposed to) sideways in SFS (there is a bug for it though).

I don't think BP editting in itself will make my phone lock up, no. The detail design and asthetics are not my best skill. Most of my rockets are pure functionality.
Nothing wrong with that. Very little of what I make is aesthetically pleasing either. It's difficult to make a 1.7km tall mass of fuel tanks look pretty. But, doesn't also mean things accidentally have a beauty that stems from that functional aesthetic. Even if it is just from the brutal simplicity of its design.

the guy who owns it is.
I'll admit I can't listen to him talk for very long either. I assume your dislike is deeper than his communication skills though.

Helicopters, well there is no gyroscopic loads that I can see in SFS. Not even turbine engines. There might be turbopumps inside each engine, but they would be small compared to the mass of the rocket, so in game, I see no Coriolis affects.

Structures, any part seems to be able to support an infinite weight in SFS. The only difference I can see is during landing impacts. Wheels can sustain higher landing velocities than struts in game. Large wheels seem to be hard coded to rip off if the horizontal velocity exceeds 50mps, no matter how much weight they are carrying.
You take what I say too literally. I'm aware that there is no direct transferable skills. I'm not a rocket scientist either, I'm a paratrooper. Doesn't mean it hasn't help me with this and many other games of this type. Work has taught me quick thinking, a good level of conceptualisation and planning and I'm a quick learner.
Same with you. Whilst there are no aero surfaces and everything is made of 1 part glass, one part unobtainium, that doesn't mean the conceptual, educational, curious engineering side of you has no place.

In the most crazy reaches of Aeroscience, AI iteratively resizes every component modelled until a desired optimum is reached, often with unexpected innovations.
Yeessss, I've seen something of this in the automotive industry, AI designing and building cars without human input and creating superbly intricate and beautiful designs from totally functional processes.
Like I said, just cos looking good wasn't intended, doesn't mean something can't look good.

It still would make planet mods much cooler.
Not just that, but would increase the options for orbital missions. Comet interceptions anyone?

Hidden expert? Yes. I designed a four rotor helicopter with fly by wire tech in 1993 while at Uni. My design was laughed at, yet nearly every toy drone you see flying around today is a miniaturised version of that, which someone else invented independently of me. My career went south shortly after leaving Uni, partly because of the degenerative nature of my disabilities. I can't even think properly anymore.
Nah, he means at SFS. Full sized quad copters? How big are you talking?

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Ah, I meant bottom up asparagus. I know tanks won't fall apart (well they're not supposed to) sideways in SFS (there is a bug for it though).

Nothing wrong with that. Very little of what I make is aesthetically pleasing either. It's difficult to make a 1.7km tall mass of fuel tanks look pretty. But, doesn't also mean things accidentally have a beauty that stems from that functional aesthetic. Even if it is just from the brutal simplicity of its design.

I'll admit I can't listen to him talk for very long either. I assume your dislike is deeper than his communication skills though.

You take what I say too literally. I'm aware that there is no direct transferable skills. I'm not a rocket scientist either, I'm a paratrooper. Doesn't mean it hasn't help me with this and many other games of this type. Work has taught me quick thinking, a good level of conceptualisation and planning and I'm a quick learner.
Same with you. Whilst there are no aero surfaces and everything is made of 1 part glass, one part unobtainium, that doesn't mean the conceptual, educational, curious engineering side of you has no place.

Yeessss, I've seen something of this in the automotive industry, AI designing and building cars without human input and creating superbly intricate and beautiful designs from totally functional processes.
Like I said, just cos looking good wasn't intended, doesn't mean something can't look good.

Not just that, but would increase the options for orbital missions. Comet interceptions anyone?

Nah, he means at SFS. Full sized quad copters? How big are you talking?
Full sized Quad copters, not much bigger than a car. Ie. Flying car solution.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Full sized Quad copters, not much bigger than a car. Ie. Flying car solution.
Ah awesome. Was it laughed at because of the quad rotor design, or because it was a flying car concept and (excuse the pun) that hasn't really left the ground yet?

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Ah awesome. Was it laughed at because of the quad rotor design, or because it was a flying car concept and (excuse the pun) that hasn't really left the ground yet?
It was more about control, at that point in time, solid state accelerometers were new, as were EEPROMS you could program yourself. Now all that electronics is packed in a tiny chip.

I demonstrated theoretically it had sufficient power to weight, that other designers were working on similar concepts. In the end the Boeing V22 Osprey was the first to do VTOL transition into horizontal flight using rotors first, not long after I finished Uni.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Now all that electronics is packed in a tiny chip.
And can be found inside your phone.

I demonstrated theoretically it had sufficient power to weight, that other designers were working on similar concepts
What were you using for powerplant? Piston or turbine based?

In the end the Boeing V22 Osprey was the first to do VTOL transition into horizontal flight using rotors first, not long after I finished Uni
Ha, eventually. When it stopped sliding into the floor and exploding. Hopefully you weren't using blades as proportionally enormous as the Osprey?

T

TtTOtW

(Off mic: seems she's got some idea of what's going on, nice)
Junipurr welcome to the Forum! I have a soft spot for helicopters, though I'm no gyro engineer. Shuttles... well, if you're interested, we might see what you could add to the landscape :) and while aesthetics aren't your focus, it is something a number of us here can help with.

You might have liked Ana. Anyway, BOT...

... RP. I doubt your phone would run Eternia. But, you might like some involvement anyway as a "behind ths scenes" engineer for one of the factions. Your dedication to finetuning is something that could be very valuable and appreciated. I for one have quite the elaborate expansion plan. And 5 minio... uh, members who loves the work we do and would be super excited to have a technical mind like yours on board. Of course, the Pyronian Truce is but one of 4 factions.

Bugs. Wow. Yes, they are potentially a problem. But what is the specific Ion bug you refer to? I'm really careful about RCS, but Ions gave not given me trouble (although our resident tame planet swinger has seen evidence to substantiate the bugs).

Also, drones. Well, in SFS's simplified physics, I have a 4th generation design building my faction's ground structures right now. I thought you might help somehow improve it for Gen 5.

The forum will obviously love to have you, so hop aboard!

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
(Off mic: seems she's got some idea of what's going on, nice)
Junipurr welcome to the Forum! I have a soft spot for helicopters, though I'm no gyro engineer. Shuttles... well, if you're interested, we might see what you could add to the landscape :) and while aesthetics aren't your focus, it is something a number of us here can help with.

You might have liked Ana. Anyway, BOT...

... RP. I doubt your phone would run Eternia. But, you might like some involvement anyway as a "behind ths scenes" engineer for one of the factions. Your dedication to finetuning is something that could be very valuable and appreciated. I for one have quite the elaborate expansion plan. And 5 minio... uh, members who loves the work we do and would be super excited to have a technical mind like yours on board. Of course, the Pyronian Truce is but one of 4 factions.

Bugs. Wow. Yes, they are potentially a problem. But what is the specific Ion bug you refer to? I'm really careful about RCS, but Ions gave not given me trouble (although our resident tame planet swinger has seen evidence to substantiate the bugs).

Also, drones. Well, in SFS's simplified physics, I have a 4th generation design building my faction's ground structures right now. I thought you might help somehow improve it for Gen 5.

The forum will obviously love to have you, so hop aboard!
The Ion drive/electricity bug is hard to replicate. The easiest way is to build a lander with the last stage having Ion drives. Take off from Earth and land nearby. Take off a second time trying to reach LEO. If all engines including the Ion drives are on, there is a very high likelihood of the bug when any of the fuel tanks drops to between 10 and 15% fuel. When the bug occurs, sometimes your fuel just instantly drops to 0% on all tanks. Sometimes it drains very fast, like in half of a second. I think what is happening, is the Ion drives are still trying to use electricity, and when any tank gets below a certain level, there is a calculation error, like a very small number divided by another very small number. On a rare occation an interplanatary cruiser that hasn't landed anywhere yet, will have the bug, but only if it has both Ion drives and Rockets running.

I am yet to see all your factions and their structures yet, I have had good and bad experiences with other space RPs. Unfortunately my phone can't handle anything intensive, and this has curbed my play style in other games too.

T

TtTOtW

We can easily cater for your particular potential involvement and activity. Also, do you have RCS on the craft or not, and is it activated?