Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
T
Don't you think that this Rocket design is not aerodynamically correct
The gaps between stages shouldn't create much drag, in fact such gaps can sometimes reduce drag by creating a vortex bubble, or a transition to a turbulent boundary layer.

T

TtTOtW

The gaps between stages shouldn't create much drag, in fact such gaps can sometimes reduce drag by creating a vortex bubble, or a transition to a turbulent boundary layer.
True, but in SFS's simplified aero it is irrelevant.

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
True, but in SFS's simplified aero it is irrelevant.
In the current version of SFS, you could launch a brick. I think the next version will be more realistic this way. I have suoer slippery rockets, I just don't feel I need them.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
In the current version of SFS, you could launch a brick
Laughs in 1.4.06 aero

I think the next version will be more realistic this way.
It'll appear more realistic. The model won't be any different, it's already had a huge overhaul for 1.5.

I have suoer slippery rockets, I just don't feel I need them.
They do help a lot. In 1.4, the difference between a smooth and a not smooth rocket to LEO was between 800 and 1500m/s ΔV. A draggy payload could almost double the size of the required launch vehicle.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I am having a lot of trouble learning BP editting. One thing is irking me, whenever I try to shrink and engine by reducing x, the BP cannot be loaded by game. Is the a way around this? Because I want to use Kolibri, but they are 2.0m wide (1.0 big squares) while the Ion is 1.7m wide (0.85 big squares.) Given the payload area is at least 1.5m wide, I can't hide the engines and get it to scale.
The x should be ≥ 1

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I am having a lot of trouble learning BP editting. One thing is irking me, whenever I try to shrink and engine by reducing x, the BP cannot be loaded by game. Is the a way around this? Because I want to use Kolibri, but they are 2.0m wide (1.0 big squares) while the Ion is 1.7m wide (0.85 big squares.) Given the payload area is at least 1.5m wide, I can't hide the engines and get it to scale.
If you try more, you will learn how to use them;)

Gecko Gekkota

Former Empress of the AE
Forum Technician
Sorry for the wait Junipurr
This is a tough one as I have to trust you (which I do) with the sizing and proportions as I can't find any anywhere. so going off of your given measurements.
I could be missing something, but you said the payload is 1.5m wide? the craft is only 1m at it's widest, and I think your second stage is 0.5m off
I'm going off these measurements:
Stage 1: 12.5m
Stage 2: 6.5m
Fairings: 4m
payload width: 1.5m?

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Only the replicias jarrr!!!! Add oil!!!!!!

Last edited:

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Sorry for the wait Junipurr
This is a tough one as I have to trust you (which I do) with the sizing and proportions as I can't find any anywhere. so going off of your given measurements.
I could be missing something, but you said the payload is 1.5m wide? the craft is only 1m at it's widest, and I think your second stage is 0.5m off
I'm going off these measurements:
I rescaled everything before the final submission, the latest SFS model was 2m at its widest, the Payload area is 1.5m wide, and the Payload I put in there is 1m wide.

On a personal note, my Father died in January, which is one reason I dropped SFS. The other I can't mention specifically, without breaking the forum rules.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Resubmitting for further consideration.
Well, now the replica challenge becomes one of the team hawk challenge, which means if you do the replica challenge now you won't get the badge. This challenge has been replaced by the Voyager quest. Altaïr did a demonstration of this, check the pinned message in team entries. So you have to do the Voyager quest instead of making replica now. For more information, find here:

Team Frontier Instructions!

Team Hawk Instructions!

Last edited:

Junipurr

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
After many attempts, I present a more optimised design and flight path for the current version. Difficulty: Extreme.

Design:
5 Stage, Twin Hawk Boosters, Twin Frontier, Solo Frontier, Solo Valiant, Solo Kolibri.
Screenshot_20220101-172510_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Take-off 5°
Ramping upto +10° Higher than recommended by the end of Stage One.
Screenshot_20220101-172534_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Stage 2 backing off to +5° than recommended due to less thrust.
Screenshot_20220101-172632_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Stage 3 Following recommended angle.
Screenshot_20220101-172735_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Just before peak reaches 30km, lean down to 90°.
Screenshot_20220101-172758_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-172813_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

At 30km, pop fairings, and angle down to +15° flight direction.
Screenshot_20220101-172837_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-172900_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Once hitting LEO, coast, and aim down, slightly to the right of the screen. Once Flight direction matches, restart Stage 3.
Screenshot_20220101-172904_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-172932_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Keep pointing in direction of flight, Stage 4 ignition.
Screenshot_20220101-172952_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Soon after reaching Earth's Escape velocity, aim ship for the same direction as Earth's Orbit.
Screenshot_20220101-173058_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-173101_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Adjust direction slightly downwards from Earth's Orbit, and Stage 5 Ignition.
Screenshot_20220101-173116_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-173119_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Fuel spent, separate last Stage, and coast to Mars Orbit.
Screenshot_20220101-173306_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-173308_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220101-173355_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg